Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pellet comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pellet comparison

For all the Pellet Heads, enjoy.

Pellets Matter: 6 Pellets Compared Head-to-Head | Mad Scientist BBQ - YouTube

I need to watch the whole thing, I skipped through and caught 10-15 mins of it and read end results. Several things I want to see answers on. First, it’s pretty odd/rare to use a water pan in a pellet grill. Second looks like they cooked entire time at 250. Third, who would use a GMG pellet grill? Fourth, If you want to be scientific, should the pellet grills be in a line against the building instead of a circle? To try to make sure any wind if present affected them all the same? Fifth, shouldn’t you measure out tallow rather than grabbing a random handful and smearing it on, you could f up the bark with too much.

I’m not at all surprised by the results, when you are using all blends except knotty pine, you’re probably in a crap shoot. I remember thinking that Traeger blend was alright when I used it in past. It probably came down to who had the most hickory in their blend. I also really liked the Weber Grillmaster Blend on my Weber which came in a close second, even though it’s made by LJ.

Would love to see the same test with several company’s hickory pellets, on a better pellet grill, and running at 200 or 225 at least until wrapping. Not that temps should change much head to head, but a breeze sure could.
    Last edited by glitchy; January 13, 2022, 12:32 AM.

Comment

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      Please expound on this comment "Third, who would use a GMG pellet grill?"
      You pique my interest. Thanks in advance.

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
      ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
      Editing a comment
      More or less the same thoughts I had. 220ish cook, I don't care what grill brand as long as it's all the same, with similar pellets... so that would have to be each brands comp blend. I also wonder if a large batch of hamburger, maybe meatloaf with no sauce, would be the only way to get a fair consistent protein for such a test?

• glitchy
      glitchy commented
      Editing a comment
      bbqLuv I’m just not a fan of their grills is all. For a while they were like Ford in the 70’s and 80’s where you had to know what month your car was made because the parts changed so often.

I tried to watch one of his videos. 2 minutes seemed like 50.

Comment

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      And yet he does have a following.
      Last edited by bbqLuv; January 13, 2022, 07:18 AM.

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
      ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
      Editing a comment
      bbqLuv I check out his stuff, but generally find myself skipping sections. Dude needs charts bad! Would help so much with brevity.

• gboss
      gboss commented
      Editing a comment
      His stuff is unwatchable to me.

I'll throw in my 2 cents. I started with a Camp Chef smoke pro dlx, now on a Traeger Timberline 850, and have a 20x42 LSG pellet unit on order. I'm always on the hunt for the perfect pellets. I've used all of the following pellet brands: Camp Chef, Cookinpellets, Smoke Ring, Lumberjack, bear Mountain, Shuping, Knotty Wood, Jealous Devil, and Smokin Brothers. I have a bag of B&B and Pro Smoker pellets on the way to try out. As of now in my experience, the best of the group are the Smokin Brothers pellets.

Comment

• SierraBBQGuy
      SierraBBQGuy commented
      Editing a comment
      In what way are they the best?

• Johnny Big Time
      Johnny Big Time commented
      Editing a comment
      SB smell the closest to burning sticks, they don't get eaten like candy in my grill either.

Johnny Big Time I think you will like B&B. They, along with LJs, are now the only pellets I use and they give me very good, reliable results.

Comment

• Johnny Big Time
      Johnny Big Time commented
      Editing a comment
      They should be here next week. I'm excited to try them!

LONG....even at 1.5x speed. I had to skip to the end discussion. Interesting how the taller guy said things during the intro that he had to admit were wrong at the end. I think that while price and flavor are important, so are consistency and pellet induced cooker malfunction issues
    Last edited by DrJimmy2112; January 13, 2022, 09:53 PM.

Comment

Like him or not, I was glad to see someone do a fair, comparison between brands. Without this kind of side by side comparison, it just isn't possible. I don’t think anyone would predict that Treager would come out on top. They seem to be the most maligned brand.

Comment

It was a long video but I did enjoy it. Surprised by the results too. I just loaded my Grilla with cookin pellets and I have a packer in my freezer that I want to smoke soon. It’ll be my first ever brisket too. I removed my upper rack on my silverback a while ago b/c it was in the way and I was surprised that they both do briskets on the 2nd rack. Do people ever use water pans in pellet smokers? That was news to me.

Comment

• glitchy
          glitchy commented
          Editing a comment
          I don’t hear of many using water pans in a pellet grill, but one of the best briskets I’ve ever made was cooked almost exactly like they did it. On the SmokeFire, upper rack, with a water pan. The SmokeFire was very leaky air wise. If I did that on the MAK I’d have black gunk dripping everywhere inside the grill most likely. I don’t know what it would do on your Silverback, they’re pretty tight aren’t they?

• glitchy
          glitchy commented
          Editing a comment
          Also, what flavor of CookinPellets do you use?

• radiodome21
          radiodome21 commented
          Editing a comment
          It’s loaded with Longhorn Blend. The Perfect Mix is up next. I don’t think the Grilla leaks smoke. I just did a dozen drumsticks 🍗 on the smoker and it was delicious.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here