Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All pellets are not created equal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All pellets are not created equal

Years ago I got in on a group buy of Lumberjack pellets with some coworkers. At the same time, I was fighting an absolute lemon of a pellet grill that I could not figure out the root cause. Neither could a district rep for the company that made a personal visit to my home and spent probably an hour looking over my grill. Anyway, long story short I was busy chasing kids around and didn't have the time to do constant test runs and tearing down of that grill at that particular time in our lives. I just needed a grill that would work 1 day each weekend to make a bunch of food for the week.

The issue was that it would constantly get ash all over our food. If I cooked a frozen cheese pizza, it would come out grey. So that became my test case for the problem until I finally just give up. The district rep was convinced it was the Lumberjack pellets, so I tried a couple bags of other brands including the pellets from the grill company. I still had the problem but it was to a lesser degree. However, any ash/soot covered food is pretty unappetizing to me whether it's moderate or severe, so I never used any more of the LJ pellets and got rid of the grill disgusted with both products.

Fast forward several years and Lumberjack pellets are still around and popular. Since they are one of few that offer 100% hickory I thought I should probably give them another shot. I can even get 20/lb bags at our local grocery store for $9.99 so that would be convenient. I picked up a bag a couple weeks back.

Last Sunday night, I cleaned out the MAK, emptied the fire pot and decided to fill the hopper with those Lumberjack pellets to cook a brisket. It was pretty cold dropping close to zero overnight. So the plan was to just move it to the oven when it was time to wrap to minimize the trips out in the cold. About an hour from when I was planning to do this, my Fireboard started alerting me that temps were falling on the MAK. Luckily I wasn't in a meeting and watched it for a few minutes and temps continued to fall. When they hit about 140 I finally ran out and pulled the brisket, wrapped it, and put it in the oven.

I was kinda ticked and was grumbling to myself (words I cannot share here). Anyway, when I opened the lid to pull the brisket the fire took off again with the influx of oxygen and smoke started rolling. I left the MAK running for another hour before shutting it down. A couple days later, I went to empty the fire pot and found the pic below. The fire pot was full of ash all the way up to the auger. The whole top of the fire pot was covered in ash. I had just cleaned out the whole grill and emptied the fire pot before starting the cook. So this was after 10-11 hours on a single cook. I haven't found even half this much ash in the fire pot before ever, probably closer to 1/4 that much at most. I’ve used various brands of pellets, sometimes going 3-4 cooks before emptying it, and running several cooks that went 8-14 hours (long cooks always start with an empty pot), etc.

I know that a lot of people use Lumberjack pellets all the time and the pricing on them is great. On group buys you can often get 40lb bags for $12-15 a bag. I definitely see the appeal there. I also know that many people use them without issues as every pellet grill is different. However, considering what meat costs these days, saving a couple bucks on a long cook isn’t worth it to me versus the risk of problems from this much ash.
    Attached Files

I just learned that technically Bear Mountain owns Lumberjack now....

Anyway, they aren't my go to. They are the only pellet I've used that has produced a clinker (maybe I've just been lucky?). But I was out of pellets and didn't want to take the Shelby to Sams Club. I went to our local BBQ supply place which is nestled on a quiet side street. They only sell Lumberjack and GMG pellets right now, and only had LJ Hickory left.

I did a 10 hour smoke yesterday doing some jerky. Had a flameout, but the MAK reignites by itself with the current firmware (maybe the firmware before that too). After roaring to 240 from the previous set temp of 170-190 it calmed back down and resumed a steady smoke.

I am doing a chicken tonight, so need to go clean the firepot, I'll post pics before I clean it since we had about similar cook times.
    Last edited by ItsAllGoneToTheDogs; January 12, 2022, 02:22 PM.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
      ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
      Editing a comment
      glitchy MAK updates will work on any grill or controller except the very first gen controller. So you're good to upgrade. It smokes more at higher temps and responds better to up and down temp changes, but the only thing I don't like is the new shutdown sequence dumps 1 turn of pellets at the end of the 20 minutes. It makes ignition and time to smoke 3-5 minutes, but it's a waste of pellets if you clean the firepot before each cook like I do

• glitchy
      glitchy commented
      Editing a comment
      What version were you on before? I think Im on 3.58.
      Last edited by glitchy; January 13, 2022, 12:00 AM. Reason: Got the base version wrong 1.x is probably 10 years ago.

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
      Editing a comment
      glitchy I think I was on 3.4 on my other MAK, this one is 3.68 I think, but I've upgraded it once while doing some testing from the 3.6 it shipped with. The upgrade is simple, they mail you a plug thingy, you press a button, then throw the plug thingy back in the pre-paid box and ship it back.

Well... I hadn't used the LJ Hickory before. Usually use their char hickory or fruit wood. The ash from these LJ hickory is the worst of any pellet I've used other than Weber after only a 10 hour low cook. This was my first and only cook since cleaning my grill on Monday.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220112_141529.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.42 MB ID:	1158311
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20220112_141652.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.21 MB ID:	1158310
    Last edited by ItsAllGoneToTheDogs; January 12, 2022, 01:31 PM.

Comment

• glitchy
      glitchy commented
      Editing a comment
      Could just be the difference in ambient temps. I checked my FB session and grill was running about 12 hours total in single digit temps. Though I was surprised how much was still in the hopper. The SmokeFire would have burned the whole bag plus some probably.

Interesting. I used Grilla's pellets in my smoker a few times and had no issues and I believe they are made by LJ. My Silverbac shut down on my Friday night when doing salmon on it and I got an error message ERL, which means the temp dropped and the grill was too cold. I loaded a bag of LJ for Christmas Eve Prime rib, right after I cleaned it, which turned out delicious. The grill wasn't going that long either, maybe a few hours or so my pellets on Friday night were the rest of the LJ. I fired up the Grilla and used the rest of them up and it turned out delicious. I then topped of the smoker with a new bag of Bear Mountain and did a pork butt on Sunday which I've been eating every day since. Fantastic.

The only LJ I can get is from Dick's, but that's not too close. I just bought 2 40# bags of Cookin Pellets online and those are up next. The LJ are the only pellets I can find under $20/bag in store, so I've been buying a lot of Bear Mountain because there's usually some sort of sale. Good to know about LJ and I might have to see what happens the next time I use them.

Comment

• glitchy
      glitchy commented
      Editing a comment
      CookinPellets are my personal favorite and usual go to. They burn the cleanest I’ve found. They’re just not cheap, but you can do bulk buys direct and get them a little cheaper, but it might be 280lbs minimum order.

I have never had a problem with LumberJack. Just wondering if yours were produced in a different plant, thus the difference in ash, etc.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
      Editing a comment
      My firepot ash isn't as bad as Glitchy's but the rest of the ash is significant for a 10 hour cook IMO. I have never used LJ straight Hickory before, and haven't had ash issues with the char hickory. I guess it's possible we both got batches from the same plant, but I doubt it.

• glitchy
      glitchy commented
      Editing a comment
      LJ has consistently produced more ash all the time for me, years ago and now. On the group buy I had several different species/mixes too. All produced a lot. Different grills behave differently too. More or bigger holes in the fire pot, different fan speeds, etc. Other grills I used them in just blew the extra ash all over the grill.

glitchy Thanks for the write-up. I have been using BearMountain/LumberJack and while I am not getting ash all over the food, I have noticed that I get a ton of ash buildup inside and around the fire pot. I guess I thought it was kinda of the deal with pellets, so I just clean the cooker after every cook be it short or long.. I had looked at the CookinPellets, but hadn't made a purchase because of the price. Do you find CookinPellets produce a better final food product (less the ash issue) to justify the extra cost?

Comment

• glitchy
      glitchy commented
      Editing a comment
      tstalafuse CookinPellets do produce better food than some other pellets. I feel that this is because they are 100% species wood instead of 60-80% oak. If you find a competition blend in another brand you like that doesn’t use an oak base, you probably won’t see a lot of difference. If your grill keeps the ash out of the pot and yet below the drip tray, it’s less concern.
      Last edited by glitchy; January 12, 2022, 03:33 PM.

• DavidNorcross
      DavidNorcross commented
      Editing a comment
      I have forgotten about the Smokehouse brand. I have burned a bag of them with no issues.

• Jfrosty27
      Jfrosty27 commented
      Editing a comment
      I use Cookin Pellets exclusively in my Recteq. No excessive ash at all. They burn hot and efficient. Great smoke and flavor. To me worth the extra cost.

Right now I am running Bear Mountain. So far so good. I am limited as to what is available in this area. If these do not work, I will either go back to the Grilla brand. Has anyone tried the Kingsford?

Comment

• glitchy
      glitchy commented
      Editing a comment
      I tried a bag of their Hickory and need to try some more. I didn’t notice much flavor difference from my regular choices, but felt there was a little more ash Nothing like this experience though.

• Jfrosty27
      Jfrosty27 commented
      Editing a comment
      I ran two 20lb bags when they first came out. TONS of ash. Never again.
      Last edited by Jfrosty27; January 13, 2022, 10:18 AM.

I just recently got my grilla OG and it came with grilla comp blend pellets. Had a couple of flameouts despite cleaning after every cook. Decent amount of ash but i didnt notice it on the food. Was not overly impressed with them. Right now ive starting using BBQers delight brand and so far havent had any problems but i only have 2 cooks on them.

Comment

grantgallagher Is emphasizing my point above, if you run into problems with a pellet grill that aren’t easily explainable technically, try changing brands of pellets. I really like CookinPellets, but that’s a personal preference for sure as I like 100% hickory that’s been debarked…probably because I get enough bark from the neighbors’ dog every time I step out on the patio . CookinPellets did not work well on the SmokeFire though.

Special blends have become very popular in almost all brands and many of them are not mostly oak (like most single species bags are) giving you more flavor. I’ve noticed at least 3 different diameters on pellets across brands. Some brands seem to have longer pellets than others - though some of that is due to handling. Really long pellets do tend to bridge more easily and often. Don’t be afraid to switch it up if your grill isn’t working right just because you can get brand X a couple miles away for less. You might have to order online, but many places do bulk sales once you find your favorite and give you a considerably better price. You have an expensive grill cooking expensive food. My time is worth too much to me to worry about saving a few cents an hour for cheaper versus works better in my grill.
      Last edited by glitchy; January 12, 2022, 03:54 PM.

Comment

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        When I bought my Traeger Timberline 850 it was explained to me that over 90% of problems with pellet grills were caused by the pellets. Hence, I am sticking with Traeger pellets, ~$20 for 33LBS at Costco. Been working for me just fine.
        "If it ain't broke don't fix it."

• glitchy
        glitchy commented
        Editing a comment
        I can’t imagine a company that sells both grills and pellets saying something like that 🤪 They also (or at least used to) say if you used anything but Traeger pellets you could void your warranty. Traeger serves lots of Kool Aid, but there is at least a morsel of truth in saying some pellets can cause problems in some grills.

Originally posted by glitchy View Post
      grantgallagherprobably because I get enough bark from the neighbors’ dog every time I step out on the patio .
      This drives me nuts. neighbors have 2 yappy dogs that are in the yard constantly and i like to sit outside to work if its not absolutely freezing. I have a dog so i get it, but she just happens to not be too bad with barking, lol.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
        Editing a comment
        my neighbors pit mix thing loves fence fighting. You would think he would get the point after all 3 of his neighbors put up bigger fences, but he complains about everyone else dogs. His dog is outside 24/7, and she instigates the fighting. Us other owners immediately run out and stop our dogs, he never even comes out. His dog has literally worn a 100+ ft long trench about 2-3ft deep from running back and forth along the fence line. Even worse, this big dog has an ear piercing high pitched bark

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
        Editing a comment
        and she barks ALL NIGHT LONG. I'm not mad at her, she wants to be with her people. His cats on the other hand... Im on a waiting list for animal control to come trap them. I complained about his cats jumping on my cars and destroying my garden beds. The next day he gets a 3rd kitten.

• glitchy
        glitchy commented
        Editing a comment
        When the neighbors dog is out (pretty much every time I’m cooking) as soon as the patio door opens she runs to the fence 15 feet away and yaps non stop. Finally after several minutes the neighbors usually take her in, but how do they do it? "Hey Molly, come inside, come get some treats." So, they continually reward the dog’s annoying behavior. Their other dog never barked before, but since Molly has arrived, he’s been learning the habit too. He probably just wants treats as well.

All pellicles are not created equally.

All pelicans are not created equally.

What happens when I read glitchy thread titles too fast.

Comment

• smokenoob
        smokenoob commented
        Editing a comment
        I am happy to know somebody else’s brain does that too!😁

Originally posted by Jerod Broussard View Post
      All pellicles are not created equally.
      Im still waiting for AR to test dry agers to know the answer to that.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        Dry aged and myself don't agree.

I have used Lumberjack pellets exclusively for the past several years and haven’t noticed any difference in the ash (or excessive ash) compared to others. Started with Traeger pellets then moved to Cookin Pellets and finally to Lumberjack.

Comment

If I were you I would get rid of that lemon and buy a better grill. I don’t think switching brands of pellets is your answer, the grill is supposed to work for you not the other way around.
        I have a Silverbac and use it often 3-5 times a week minimally. I never have ash on my food and never have burn outs. The ash can get caked in there because I don’t clean it, but it doesn’t affect the burn pot. I have had to do repairs on it twice this year, but you call the company in Holland, MI and they take good care of you.
        Listening to your problem, it sounds like an air flow problem. Too much air and you have ash on your food , not enough air and the burn pot plugs up. When you open it, it reignites, so open the chimney all the way if it's adjustable. This may help pull ash out of the system rather than going on your food. On the other end where you're pushing air through the system, who knows–you have fans, circuits, etc. Maybe there is an air leak or a blockage that needs to be fixed.
        I have used 4-5 different brands of pellets, and never a problem with any of them. The Silverbac is insulated in its bottom half, so being more efficient, I probably use a lot less pellets which makes it easier on the overall system.
        When I bird hunt I love my Franchi autoloader, but I always carry the toolbox/gun kit in the truck and can break the gun down with my eyes closed. I also have my grandfather's side by side on back up. Pellet grills are fun when you just touch a button and your cooking, but a lot of moving parts are making that happen, but a side by side shotgun hunts well also with no toolbox required.

Comment

• DavidNorcross
          DavidNorcross commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah glitchy I think you have alot of work to do. Especially since I for one see you as THE authority for pellet cookers on this site.
          Last edited by DavidNorcross; January 13, 2022, 04:40 AM.

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
          Editing a comment
          Chuppy it wasn't the grill Also glitchy has generously, at great risk to his love life, ran through an abundance of pellet grills and documented some of his journeys for all of us.

• Chuppy
          Chuppy commented
          Editing a comment
          Great

I'll throw in my 2 cents. I started with a Camp Chef smoke pro dlx, now on a Traeger Timberline 850, and have a 20x42 LSG pellet unit on order. I'm always on the hunt for the perfect pellets. I've used all of the following pellet brands: Camp Chef, Cookinpellets, Smoke Ring, Lumberjack, bear Mountain, Shuping, Knotty Wood, Jealous Devil, and Smokin Brothers. I have a bag of B&B and Pro Smoker pellets on the way to try out. As of now in my experience, the best of the group are the Smokin Brothers pellets.

Comment

• Johnny Big Time
          Johnny Big Time commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, give them a try.

• CandySueQ
          CandySueQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice folks at Smokin Brothers! I like the configuration of the "barn" cooker. I do not believe they make their own pellets. KY comes to mind as the manufacturing place, but it could be IN too. There's lots of pellet manufacturers that have jumped into BBQ pellets and packaging for other companies.

• TinyRob
          TinyRob commented
          Editing a comment
          I got a Smokin Brothers Premium 36” pellet grill with a couple bags of cherry and hickory at the closest dealer 2 hours away. I’ve run B&B, Bear Mountain, Lumberjack, and Weber In it. All worked fine, Weber was too ashy and only one to get ash on the food. I would have to say the Smokin’ Brothers pellets have definitely had the best flavor of any of them so far.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here