Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Charcoal Pellets for Pellet Grill??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charcoal Pellets for Pellet Grill??

Looking for reviews on 100% charcoal pellets, on flavor, temperatures, ash, and suitability. For example, Royal Oak 100% Charcoal Pellets.
    Thank you in advance.

Or you could get a kettle and use real charcoal…🧐

Comment

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      Ma and Pa Kettle, The namesake for the kettle.

I’ve seen reviews all over the board, just like you will for any type of pellet. Just buy a bag and try them and see if they’re for you. If you don’t like them crack a few PBRs and forget about the $20 you spent on them.

Comment

I do wonder how much of this is marketing, to be sure. Going from compressed oak sawdust to compressed lump charcoal sawdust.

However, one thing that does intrigue me are the reviews reporting on their water resistance, which may be quite important for those of us in very humid areas.

Comment

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        Water resistance is interesting, also it is claimed to cook hotter.

• smokenoob
        smokenoob commented
        Editing a comment
        We live on Gulf coast surrounded by water and my pooper lives outdoors. Can often swim in the humidity. Never had a problem with moisture in the pellets but I do keep it covered with the nice factory cover from Camp Chef. So, water resistance is not an added "feature" to me…….

A while ago, I purchased a bag from SmokeDaddy. I bought them as they supposedly burned hotter than other pellet mixes. That aspect did not pan out, and I did not notice any flavor changes, one way or another. It was a 20 lb bag, so after my initial uses for extra heat, I mixed them into some 100% oak that I regularly use until gone. I wouldn't buy them again.

Comment

• Dadof3Illinois
        Dadof3Illinois commented
        Editing a comment
        Same here....found out I was actually having a harder time getting any temps above 325 and no actual difference in the flavor of the food. I'll stick with the hardwood pellets.

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        Great info, thanks.

I have tried Royal Oak and Pit Boss, and I didn't think they added anything to the flavor profile. I seem to recall Jack Daniels BBQers Delight charcoal pellets being recommended, but I haven't tried them.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here