Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should have taken photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should have taken photos

Half slab of ribs for my beautiful bride who loves ribs that I do in the weber... but that's at our vacation spot, not at our house.

Freaking awesome fire in my cheap propane/charcoal smoker. Had this ingenious idea of staking the charcoal pan really high with charcoal and then lighting it with the propane burner.
    things were going pretty good until all of a sudden the temp is climbing through the roof. I opened up the food door to try and cool things down, and that added O2 stoked things up really good. So Mr. Genius here, opened the fire door... holy crap, everything started burning. Walls grates, grease pan, ceiling, everything.

Printed metal plate warning label, completely unreadable
    Meat probe, not functional
    Outside paint, fried, literally.
    At least one grate is warped
    Heat resistant plastic knob on upper vent door, wasn't that heat resistant.

I did disconnect the propane tank and move it away from crematory. Need to look at the hose assembly before I use it again.

Hmmmmm ... nice creative approach to justifying a new (and expensive) cooker ... and a proper fire extinguisher. 😎
    Last edited by MBMorgan; September 2, 2019, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Glad yer all okay, an th house still standin...everything else is wee lil shite.

Sounds like it mighta made a better reverse sear steak cook, than ribs...

Comment

I take it ya didn’t have to call the Fire Dept. & nobody got hurt cept yer ego. That’s good. Now fer the next class in fire management............

Comment

This too shall pass.

Comment

Most of my ingenious ideas end up much the same way....how's your beautiful brides nerves.

Comment

Maybe you just need to get a second Weber for the house, so you can make those ribs without burning the house down.... you’ve got a good excuse to get it right now....

Comment

Watch this and feel better (and smarter)

Note: NSFW

Comment

At least your all okay.

Comment

What a scare! And all for a half-rack of ribs.

Now that your pulse and blood pressure are back in the normal range, you can relax while you look through AR's ratings for a new smoker.

Good to know that you and your wife are unharmed, and that you're undaunted. Keep on smokin'.

Kathryn

Comment

Glad all turned out ok-----------Now be sure to post a picture of the NEW COOKER!

Comment

That was a great failure but if it makes you feel any better it ain't even close to number one. 😀
                        Last edited by Mudkat; September 3, 2019, 07:59 AM.

Comment

Ditto all the guys on a new cooker. Glad you are ok

Comment

No new smoker... we're working on downsizing... unless I find a deal in a garage sale. Besides, This one is broken in now!

Ribs were surprisingly "ok", not great, but edible.

In retrospect, one of us should have videoed the fire, it was pretty impressive. The other gotten the hose.

I made up for it last weekend, did a perfect smoke on a filet. Although I was just getting ready to put the steak on the Weber when a friend showed up... for an hour long visit. Had the vents set perfect, no flare ups, temp at 215, held steady the entire hour. Had to throw another chunk of oak on with the steaks tho.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here