Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fire starters. Paper, charcoal bag, Weber cubes or Quickfire.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fire starters. Paper, charcoal bag, Weber cubes or Quickfire.

Well, after making a comment on an old thread regarding a bazillion dollar grill I hereby make a review/comment on firestarters. It’s been discussed about a week ago about what kind of paper cuz some kind of newspaper wasn’t available any longer. The Washington Post was brought up. Then many ensuing suggestions of types & styles of paper. Which I found extraordinarily mundane yet interesting. Which led to a comment I made of a product someone mentioned here a month or so back. Quickfire firstarters. I like the little buggers. Now I’m old school, I just started using a lighter last year from matches. Which makes me almost backwards. Well Quickfire was mentioned and I thought I’d give em a try. I ordered them & even got a thank you letter from the chief fire starter. I’m easily impressed. Just a pic or two of them in action & even my adept agility when I dumped some of them. Just put em back. Also a little comparison of the messy competition. Click image for larger version

Name:	C8B44575-F390-4F0E-9CD5-00C8D7BBDB7F.jpeg
Views:	222
Size:	223.7 KB
ID:	715757Click image for larger version

Name:	8C91DBDF-5B13-4B5E-B544-DAE2C193C995.jpeg
Views:	180
Size:	203.6 KB
ID:	715762Click image for larger version

Name:	F400EEFC-F6BD-4E13-B0C6-66EC2B67CA1D.jpeg
Views:	185
Size:	180.1 KB
ID:	715759Click image for larger version

Name:	1C35C46D-5802-446A-8353-CE111B21F616.jpeg
Views:	160
Size:	238.7 KB
ID:	715761Click image for larger version

Name:	A38C306C-C843-49CE-9984-ACCE9BB3DE9F.jpeg
Views:	180
Size:	201.0 KB
ID:	715758Click image for larger version

Name:	5769976D-49E9-4CF4-BD64-49A672BEBFB7.jpeg
Views:	183
Size:	256.0 KB
ID:	715760

I would use the QuickFires, and then when I was done with them, I would fill that nifty container up with Weber starter cubes.
    Last edited by Attjack; September 19, 2019, 11:28 PM.

Comment

I ordered them based on the post a few weeks back. They work as advertised and I also got a nice letter. However I am a bit nervous about the plastic wrapper. I didn't want it to contaminate my food.

Comment

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        According to the manufacturer, the wrapper is actually made of vegetable oil. I have used these before and there was no black smoke and nasty smell like you would get from plastic.

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Steve R. Yup! Burns right up.

I may have used every method except QuickFires.

Comment

I’m getting my quickfires in the mail today. I just moved into a community where the houses are squished real close together. I’m hoping the chimney will smoke less with these compared to oiled paper towels but I know it probably won’t make a difference. I had a neighbor a couple of years ago who complained any time I fired up the chimney starter. Anything to avoid a repeat of that experience.

Comment

• jhapka
          jhapka commented
          Editing a comment
          It was just bad luck of the draw. He was "worried" that one of these days my house would be on fire and he wouldn’t be able to tell if it was just me grilling... 🤨

• crazytown3
          crazytown3 commented
          Editing a comment
          Homes on fire smell different.

EDIT: grammar correction

• jhapka
          jhapka commented
          Editing a comment
          crazytown3 oh believe me I told him that but he wasn’t the type of person who reasonable explanations resonate with

Sorry, KBB bags work for me. I don't live in combustible area.

Comment

• Mudkat
          Mudkat commented
          Editing a comment
          Wait until Saturday. We'll all be on fire! Heat index 108.

I’m back using newspaper.

Comment

As I've posted before the Rutland fire starter squares work great and aren't messy at all.

Comment

• Mosca
            Mosca commented
            Editing a comment
            When I start the fire manually, this is my favorite.

It’s summer in Eastern Washington, we use lightening strikes.

Comment

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            Yessir, a manly starter, LIGHTNING ! 🕶
            Yahoo! Cinder me britches.

• JoeSousa
            JoeSousa commented
            Editing a comment
            ComfortablyNumb In a couple weeks we can just put some meat on the back porch and let all the smoke in the air cold smoke our meat.

• ComfortablyNumb
            ComfortablyNumb commented
            Editing a comment
            JoeSousa Unfortunately so. Has been pleasant so far.

If I can get the wife mad enough, spontaneous combustion.
          Otherwise, Zip cubes with a dash of starter fluid.

Comment

Weed torch hooked to my spare LP Tank for my Weber Gasser. Charcoal in chimney + Weed torch = Done in 1 minute.

Comment

Mostly those ad newspapers for me. Off the driveway and into the chimney starter. But I think I'll try those when my messy a** Weber cubes are gone.

Comment

Once I started using the Weber cubes I don't think I ever used any other method again.

Comment

I keep a pack of Weber cubes around, but mostly use them to start my fire pit. With power outlets available on both my porch and patio, I amost always start my coals with an electric coil or the Looftlighter. I also have a Coleman portable gas burner on which I can set my chimney to give the coals a propane start.

Comment

Never used the Quickfires. In fact I've never seen'um. I LOVE the Weber cubes though. I take them to fish camp, regular camp, the bonfire pit in the backyard, and even my cookers! They light when wet, and light with just a spark too, done that a few times both for fun and out of necessity when my lighter was empty. I order a few boxes on Amazon at a time as an add-on when making other purchases.

Comment

• Steve R.
                      Steve R. commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Have you found a way to "recycle" all those little crumbs that break off the cubes as they punch through the foil? I love those starter cubes, but I don't love all the little white flakes they leave behind. Maybe I should just rip off the whole sheet of foil from a new box and dump them in a jar or plastic container with snap on lid.

• Huskee
                      Huskee commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Steve R. No, lol, and my wife reminds of that weekly. I just leave them in the drawer that the boxes stay in, and any that make it to the countertop I sweep up with my hand. On drawer cleanout day they get vacuumed up. One downside is they are very crumby.

• JoeSousa
                      JoeSousa commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I have the Weber cubes on Subscribe and Save on Amazon. 3 packs every couple months holds me over well.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here