Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fire safety

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fire safety

This has probably been talked to death already.
    After seeing the utube videos of dumb mistakes and just thinking I should up my game before it happens to me. I thought I would get a 5lb ABC extinguisher to keep handy
    What to you guys do?

I have two extinguishers on my patio, just in case. I have never had to use them but I like having them handy. I take one with me when I am cooking offsite as well. Your local fire department will be able to tell you what you need for your application. They will also refill it and make sure it is not expired. (Mine does anyway)

If nothing else, they are a great thing to have. No one ever plans on having an out of control fire, so it is a good idea to be prepared!

Great topic that is rarely discussed!

Comment

Got CaptainMike cell no. In case of an emergency.. I have 2 x 18lb in my wagon and a hose pipe somewhere nearby when smoking at home.

Comment

• ofelles
        ofelles commented
        Editing a comment
        So CaptainMike Jefferson is not that far from me. What's your response time for @holehogg?.

I have 15lb one and a hose bib and hose attached. Your 5lb will not last very long unless you are right there when the fire starts. It will knock it down some so you have a chance to bring in the big guns. When you use an extinguisher always point it at the base of the fire and sweep the flame area.

Comment

Here are a couple of threads worth re-visiting:

In addition to the extinguisher, have a lid for your cooker. Most fires can be squelched by smothering when they start. A large wet towel will aid in that as well. The extinguisher and hose should be used if that doesn't control it, the mess from using them will ruin your day. And if it gets out of control, get everybody out and call the Fire Dept. Severe burns or fatalities will ruin a lot more than just your day.

Comment

It might take me a bit to respond to your place, but rest assured I HAVE been on a few fires in your neck of the woods! As far as an extinguisher is concerned, get a minimum 2A:10BC dry chemical, 2 would be better (1 for the kitchen, 1 for the grill area). Make sure to get the refillable kind with the metal valves.

A charged garden hose is pretty handy too and that is my personal first choice, but keep in mind that firefighting was my profession and I have some experience with using water on grease/oil fires in that you must use a little finesse. Some folks might not have that frame of mind when faced with a blaze. A big plus with the hose is that you won't run out of extinguishing agent.

With all that said, prevention is the best course of action. Keep grills away from structural components, combustibles, openings like doors and windows, and avoid overhangs. Use grill mats on decks and don't allow grease to build up. Clean litter from between deck boards and under deck areas. Never leave an open fire unattended and properly dispose of ashes in an appropriate container. Try to avoid open fire grilling on very windy days. I have been to more than a few fires caused by any of the above.

Remember, safety is no accident.

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Captain!!

Expanding on what Mike CaptainMike said, the way to read the ABC rating is the number before the A is the equivalent gallons of water. The number before the B is the square footage the extinguisher should extinguish when tested on a surface with 3 inches of oil. The C means it won’t conduct electricity. 2A: 10BC reads as equivalent to 2 gallons of water and at UL it repeatedly extinguisher 10 square feet of burning oil in the test pit.

One thing to remember about ABC powder, monoammonium phosphate, is that it can be corrosive when any moisture is present. If used on electrical circuit boards and the like, you will be replacing them.

Comment

• holehogg
            holehogg commented
            Editing a comment
            Now I know why a few parts of my trailer where I'd used extinguishers to put out a fire are rusting (not anywhere else) even though it is galvanised sheet metal especially at the welds. Any suggestions for a remedy on those areas?

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            Not to be too picky Don, but those are "relative" values as there are many variables that can affect the efficiency of an extinguisher.

• Donw
            Donw commented
            Editing a comment
            Mike, you are right because other variables such as experience of operator and conditions can affect the outcome, but these are how UL expresses them when determining the ratings from the testing so the the public can do a comparison, and organizations like NFPA can add minimum standardized requirements for extinguishers within their standards.

So a few years ago, I thought I had put all of the coals out in the wsm and I dumped the ash in the trash bin. Hours later, while we were getting ready for bed, we heads a loud pop. I said it was a car backfiring, but the wife got up to look. The trash can, sitting a couple of feet from the garage door, was fully in flame. I ran out and started the hose and eventually got it out; needless to say, my house is full of extinguishers now. Deck, kitchen, garage, bedroom, basement. I may have went a little overboard...

Comment

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            Bless you my friend, I now enjoy a wonderful retirement from handling incidents just like this!

CaptainMike excellent advice. I may have had my house burn down because of using my Weber to close to the rails on my porch. The fire department could not find any cause just my speculation. I had closed down the vents but there my have been a coal get on to the deck. It was nearly 4 hours after dinner that we noticed the fire.

Also for those who have never used a fire extinguisher always point at the base of the fire and sweep it across the flames slowly.
          Last edited by mountainsmoker; July 16, 2019, 02:49 PM.

Comment

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            Man, it happens easier and more often than most people think. Did you lose your home or were you able to put it out?

• Dr. Pepper
            Dr. Pepper commented
            Editing a comment
            Is that how you got your name 'mountainsmoker'? (too soon?)

• mountainsmoker
            mountainsmoker commented
            Editing a comment
            We had to rebuild the house. The volunteer fire department is 30 mins away.

mountainsmoker comes from living in the mountains of NC.

I have a garden hose. And a pool about 30' from cooking area for summertime grab-a-bucket emergencies. Keep thinking I oughtta look into an extinguisher.

Comment

Garden hose within 8 feet of my cookers.
            Extinguisher in kitchen 20 feet away as a last resort, darn dry chemicals are a pain to clean up.
            Have a coupla tall boys in hand at all times.

Comment

Fire extinguisher, garden hose a few feet away, and grill mats. Grills away from the house.

Comment

Two ABC extinguishers, a hose within five steps and home insurance out the wazoo baby! 😃🙌

Comment

I’m on concrete in a stand alone grilling hut away from the house with a garden hose within 25 feet of the hut and a fire extinguisher in the house.

Comment

I use halon fire extinguishers. You have to hunt to find them because the gov nixed them then decided they were ok until someone came up with something as good. They are the best available because the halon is attracted to heat AND IT DISPLACES OXYGEN. Pay attention to the fact IT DISPLACES OXYGEN. I have one in my downstairs master bedroom and in our travel trailer. I repeat..... PAY ATTENTION TO THE FACT THAT IT DISPLACES OXYGEN. It takes less chemical to put out a fire and the only other one I have ever had around food areas is a CO2. You don't ruin your food if you put out a fire with these two.
                    IMO every chemical plant and refinery should have to have a tanker sized halon extinguisher on site at all times. I would like to see what a tanker plane would do to a forest fire.

Comment

• CaptainMike
                      CaptainMike commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That's why water is my #1 choice, but good call on the halon and CO2. However, an air tanker utilizing halon would not be effective

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here