Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First cook on Camp Chef 24 Smoke Vault

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First cook on Camp Chef 24 Smoke Vault

In progress. Two racks, dry brined only for 2 hours. I did remove the membrane...my son just scores it and claims it makes no difference. Mustard based binder and heavy coat of https://www.facebook.com/AlchemistFireBBQ/ Pork Ferocity by Alchemist Fire BBQ. Using some stray oak laying around. Will provide pics of the product when done.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1982 (1).jpg
Views:	298
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	1229907

My opinion is that on ribs, brining the night before or at time of applying the rub makes no difference. But I don’t like the texture of the membrane. Leaving it on doesn’t affect the taste. But it definitely affects the texture.

Comment

Good Luck, I take the membrane off.

Comment

• fracmeister
        fracmeister commented
        Editing a comment
        me too....

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        +2

Membrane off. That said, nice new cooker there! I tried to get one of the $99 sale units but was too late. Wifey would have been ok with that. Not so much at full price. But anyway, for now I can just live through you. Smoke on!!

Comment

• fracmeister
        fracmeister commented
        Editing a comment
        Full price at bbqguys is 399 A

At amazon it is now 399 less 5%. I bought it for 258.55 a week ago. While 99$ would be better I am just glad it was on a decent sale.

I remove the membrane because I can. Doing so gives me a sense of power and control. 😁
      On beef plate ribs I leave the membrane on to hold them together, but I don't like the texture. So, I remove the membrane after the cook.
      Last edited by bbqLuv; June 1, 2022, 04:15 PM.

Comment

Two hours in

Name:	IMG_1983.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	1230088

Final ribs 6.5 hours no wrap

Name:	IMG_1984.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	164.7 KB
ID:	1230090
        Crack test

Name:	IMG_1985.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	1230085
        Adequate smoke ring, excellent texture and flavor. Plenty of smoke taste

Name:	IMG_1986.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	1230086

Also did some bacon wrapped shrimp/cheese/jalapeno...forgot to take pics until after we ate most of them.

Name:	IMG_1993.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	1230089

Overall, I am very satisfied. My internal BBQ snob is disappointed but that won't be the 1st or last time.
        Attached Files

Comment

• rickgregory
          rickgregory commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice, thanks. How would you compare smoke level and style to charcoal?

• fracmeister
          fracmeister commented
          Editing a comment
          rickgregory When I added a lot of wood chunks I got (slowly at first) but ultimately a lot of smoke. Charcoal gets it going faster but my wood never caught on fire like would on charcoal does so over the entire course I might think there was more smoke from the wood on the propane... especially since the charcoal burns so much hotter (and that is where I put the wood. I think if you have the wood set to smolder in a charcoal grill (as I have done in the past) it might ultimately be similar

They look damn good! Congrats!

Comment

My first real smoker,,,,,The Vault
          was never disappointed,,,,ABT’s alway turned out amazing
          then I became a smoker snob,,,,
          WSM,,,,got the boot
          Shirley Patio,,,,luv it,,,,
          built a wood fired grill,,,,luv it,,,,
          do most of all my cooking on a Weber Kettle performer
          just cuz,,,,it works,,,
          Last edited by Greygoose; June 1, 2022, 06:14 PM.

Comment

• Donw
            Donw commented
            Editing a comment
            The Vault was also my first real smoker and I still put it into action when smoking sausage and around the holidays for the extra space and convenience. It also doubles as a baking oven during those times, and does a good job at that too.

• ssandy_561
            ssandy_561 commented
            Editing a comment
            Donw it does work great as an outdoor oven. That’s about all I use mine for anymore since I got my Grilla OG.

Looks good....very good

Comment

Looks great - I’m glad this cook went well for you. If I ever need a high capacity smoker the SV24 is on my short list, as I have a natural gas hookup outside begging for it….

Comment

Those ribs look great!!

Comment

fracmeister how hard was it to dial in the smoking temperature? Did you have to fiddle with the vents and gas knobs much to get where you wanted to be?

Comment

• fracmeister
                  fracmeister commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It REALLY wasnt' hard. I knew all the way "low" was supposed to be like 175. During the burn in I had put it about 3/4 of the way to max and it was like 350-370. So when I cooked I eyeballed it maybe /14 of the way in between and it stabilized at 229. So for me it was trivial. I had all vents wide open the whole time.

I don’t use my 24” Smoke Vault too much anymore since I got my Grilla OG but when I did I would always put both wood chunks and wood chips in the tray. That way the smoke started off sooner than with just chunks. I also found it easier to control the temperature once I put a gasket on the door.

Comment

• fracmeister
                  fracmeister commented
                  Editing a comment
                  My gasket arrived today along with the cover.

went outside to run some errands and this was what greeted me when I opened the door:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0926.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.09 MB ID:	1230685

It was supposed to arrive next week but I ain't complaining.

I mostly got this for 3 reasons:

1) it was dirt cheap
                2) If I can get it to dial in temps, it will be even more hands off than the kettle
                3) aside from #1, this will let me smoke way more than my kettle, specifically, I can do several pork bellies when I want bacon or smoke fresh sausages.
                Last edited by rickgregory; June 2, 2022, 04:12 PM.

Comment

• fracmeister
                  fracmeister commented
                  Editing a comment
                  This is what I bought https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• jfmorris
                  jfmorris commented
                  Editing a comment
                  And if you have NG, this can be converted and you have a cooker that runs forever without lugging and refilling propane tanks...

• ssandy_561
                  ssandy_561 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Another pointer. When cooking on multiple racks I found the top half of the Smoke Vault ran about 15° hotter than the lower half.

Looks like mine is on the big brown truck and out for delivery! A full 4 days earlier than anticipated!

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
                  DogFaced PonySoldier commented
                  Editing a comment
                  And no sooner than I hit "Post" - my doorbell rings!

• rickgregory
                  rickgregory commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm jealous. Got mine and then the skies opened up, lightning flashed, thunder rolled... And it's pouring all weekend :/

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here