Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I get a large propane tank and run lines to the outdoor kitchen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I get a large propane tank and run lines to the outdoor kitchen?

I'm hoping you can tell me if this plan makes any sense.

I recently had a transfer switch installed so I can keep my meats frozen and my house warm in the event of an extended power outage. I have yet to buy my generator but I feel like a dual fuel generator would be a good idea since propane stores so well. Meanwhile, having built my outdoor kitchen myself, I've been worried about running a natural gas line to the kitchen because I have this reoccurring nightmare that the city inspector comes out and says I built the kitchen too close to the property line and they order that I tear it down.

So I'm thinking what if I get a big propane tank and install it in my side yard between the generator inlet and the outdoor kitchen. They are relatively close to one another. Could I then run 3 lines to my 3 propane cookers and have a quick connect ready to attach my generator when I need it? While I'm at it is there a limit to how many lines I could run in case I want a heater, or a wok burner, etc. as well?

Click image for larger version

Name:	EPc6hJZgd1RLRSOiGGyA0W71DTXRLdlaLdzmqWOwrPFWLIcOd7R-ccZwegmGge3d7QJhZ0-F-0d5Qy56tXLAoxk7RFwCNXm70y_05rdIhrGOQTpwCUGwLxupD1Baf0j5mFpe-h1mv-7V1AVwJUesHMNvunOZSguUEU2I54dheOVuMVAcHdKIMxh25JfYA9s3uo057Qw2-sjCchqyeRwUTWpvXP0vOUtl_PjO40-RPCqpC_U4U0NG_ypX77UpKDn
Views:	1164
Size:	184.1 KB
ID:	1155394
    There's a metal gate just behind that ax you can see over the kamado. Just on the other side of the gate is where I would install the tank.

Guess it depends on how big of a tank you want installed, sounds like you done want a buncha 20lbers hanging around.
    I'd talk to my propane supplier, he'll be able to tell you what you can do.
    He may also know LG regulations so you can use either or.

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Believe me I already have a lot of 20lbers hanging around!

I bought a 200 gal tank to run the gas cooktop we installed in the kitchen and my generator. The codes here let me put a 200 gal right next to the house. Any thing larger would have to be away from the house by 50 ft I believe. It’s amazing how little fuel a cooktop uses. We filled the tank when we installed it 2 years ago. The tank is still at 60% full.

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      It sounds like you and I had the same general idea and 200 gallons sounds about right. Maybe even just a 120 gallon.

never mind...
    Last edited by Bruceski44; January 6, 2022, 07:40 PM.

Comment

120 gallons
      Click image for larger version

Name:	120-gallon-lp-tank.jpg
Views:	1065
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	1155421

Comment

When I finally get around to doing my dream outdoor kitchen, my current plan is to bury a large tank to supply both the outdoor kitchen and a new whole house backup generator. Burying large tanks is fairly routine here. It could be something you might want to look into.

Comment

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          Interesting. I had not considered that. My plan was to obscure the tank with jasmine that's already established so it would not be an eyesore. I'll look into that.

• barelfly
          barelfly commented
          Editing a comment
          Attjack My parent’s run their entire house off of propane and there’s is also buried. The propane runs radiant heating, but they use wood burning stove to heat the house. So they don’t have to fill often. But, I’d imagine it will just be what ever is allowed by code in the area. And as you say, takes it out of sight.

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          barelfly here in the city natural gas is most common. Lots of food carts with medium sized tanks around though Really burying a tank would be tough where I want it since I have trees there. Chances are I'll stay above ground.

In a broad sense you can run as many appliances as you want with a propane tank, one line out of the tank and then branch runs to wherever makes sense. Sizing is not too critical because it's unlikely you'll run all of the attached "appliances" at once. We have a 250 underground tank plumbed to the house that fuels two water heaters, a cook top in the kitchen, the fireplace in the great room, and my outdoor kitchen island.
        Depending on usage it gets topped up roughly three times a year. I have a 100lb tank for my dual fuel generator to keep the freezers running. You're wise to go dual fuel on the generator because (a situation that many don't seem to realize), when you're out of power so are many of the local fuel stations who need electricity to run their pumps. If you go with the large storage tank you may want to consider a system wide regulator that will accommodate all/most of the appliances you want to attach. Quick connects are handy for devices you might rotate in/out of your arsenal over time.

Comment

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          Good stuff. Sounds like everything could work as I am hoping.

1st I hate you for that beautiful outdoor kitchen. I'm so jealous.

​​​​​Now about propane. Our home is heated, hot water and fireplace by a 500 gallon underground tank. This is the standard our builder went with. I have no regrets on propane. I had a bulk install to my Genesis grill after a couple of years. Couldn't/didn't want to deal with filling tanks. Now turn on the valve located at the grill and done. Never have to think about do I have enough in the tank? As an old fart, I never need to lug 20# tanks from the driveway around the house, up the deck stairs to the grill. Go for it.

Another note, in my previous house (oil heat and water) we installed a gas insert, propane in the fireplace. Was done with wood. Cutting, splitting and stacking. Had a 100 gallon tank installed on the side of the house. Line run from there to the fireplace. Worked great.
        Last edited by RichieB; January 6, 2022, 08:20 PM.

Comment

I have a similar setup, with a tank buried in the side yard. It supplies two ventless gas fireplaces, but I am kicking around idea of another line with a quick connect for my Blackstone on the deck. The tank belongs to the propane company, who comes out twice per year to refill it. That arrangement makes me want to go ahead and do it, because there is a minimum annual cost I have to pay no matter how little propane we actually use.
          Last edited by Steve R.; January 6, 2022, 08:20 PM.

Comment

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            RichieB Actually, I was talking to Steve.

• Steve R.
            Steve R. commented
            Editing a comment
            Attjack, there is a $35/yr rental payment for the tank, and then $70 - $130 to refill, based on the quantity and market price of propane. Upfront cost was $425 back in 2015 when we bought the newly constructed house with the tank and lines already installed.

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            That sounds really good to me Steve R. I'll see what my local company says and go from there.

I can’t add much to that except, definitely get a dual fuel generator. If I had to do it over again, I’d have gotten that over the ‘gas only’ one I bought a few years ago. I didn’t even know they made those when I bought it.

Comment

• Panhead John
            Panhead John commented
            Editing a comment
            I bought the generator for use at Moms house after a hurricane. She has natural gas at her house. If I would have known, I would have bought a dual fuel for sure. I wouldn’t have to worry about running out of gas and having to refill it, or worry about gas stations being out of power also. I’m pretty sure they make a tri-fuel generator too. Gas, NG or propane. Once you hook it up to NG or propane, you don’t have to do anything else. So much more convenient. Continued….
            Last edited by Panhead John; January 6, 2022, 08:50 PM.

• Panhead John
            Panhead John commented
            Editing a comment
            Buy as big a generator as you can afford. If it can run the whole house or most of it, that’s the way to go.
            Last edited by Panhead John; January 6, 2022, 08:50 PM.

• Uncle Bob
            Uncle Bob commented
            Editing a comment
            To PJ's comment about "buy as big as you can afford" is sound advice, the odds are far greater you'll increase you needs rather than lower or stay static. An MCS enabler of the first order such as you should know that.

I have done this a couple times in previous homes. Works great. Both times used 120 gallon tanks. You have to cook ALOT of steaks to use that up. The last house, I did all the digging myself and the propane folks came in and installed the lines and the tank. This will work great for you, in my opinion.

Comment

Here’s a few tri fuel generators that might be worth a look. The Champion model is supposed to be one of the best. Runs on gasoline, propane or natural gas.

https://factorypure.com/products/cha...BoC9UQQAvD_BwE

Click image for larger version  Name:	C341BE0E-38F1-4ED6-8C35-7A4C955EDB68.png Views:	4 Size:	301.7 KB ID:	1155679

Click image for larger version  Name:	15573436-45E6-45D7-9FC3-FEDEAB0CE167.png Views:	4 Size:	211.9 KB ID:	1155678
            Last edited by Panhead John; January 7, 2022, 10:01 AM.

Comment

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks, buddy. I appreciate it!

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here