Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Propane tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Propane tank

My 20 lb propane tank is clogged. The gas igniter on my Performer wouldn't light last night, and the tank felt almost empty, so I refilled it just now. Cracked the valve, and no gas came out. Is there anything I can do? If not, I'll have to get a new tank 'cause I'm gonna need it Friday...

Is the tank completely full? The OPD float might have shut the valve if the tank is overfilled. There is a little screw on the side of the valve. CAREFULLY open it up and it should start spitting LP. It will burn (frostbite) the hell out of you if get hit by it.

The other possibility Is it near freezing? Could have some ice buildup in the OPD valve. Pour a little methanol in the fill valve if you have any buildup, it’ll melt the ice away.

Comment

If you open the valve to fast sometimes they go into safety lock, close the valve, hook it up, open slowly

Comment

• Bruceski44
        Bruceski44 commented
        Editing a comment
        you should hear a very quiet click within a few seconds of closing the valve when the safety disengages.

Ah yes, the joy of propane. I remember when you could refill small propane bottles from a 20# tank.
      That is no longer allowed here in Oregon. Not sure if that is Federal. I remember having to reset the regulator somehow.

Comment

Do what Spinaker did with his BroilKing keg.

And get yourself a new one for Friday. 👍

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          No better way too send her off!

Number 2 reason why I just exchange tanks these days. Simple, quick, and they always work.
        (Number 1 reason was the numpties around here that couldn’t fill a tank properly…or sent 40% of it into the air, and I’m not paying for that. SMH (That’s a story for another day. LOL)

Comment

Sounds like that tank may be on its last legs...

Comment

• RonB
            RonB commented
            Editing a comment
            It can't be on it's last legs 'cause it doesn't have legs...

OK everyone - I fixed it. First I loosened the screw on the side of the tank valve. The tank is close to overfilled because as the gas sloshed around inside the tank, it would spit a bit of the propane, but that stopped soon. I then reconnected the hose and
          very slowly opened the tank valve. Then I opened the valve on the Kettle and lit the igniter and it lit.

Thanx everyone for the help.

Here's a good video that explains it:

Comment

I gave up using gas on my Performers. Too many empty bags of KBB. Chimney for me now.
            Last edited by HawkerXP; December 21, 2021, 08:55 PM.

Comment

• HawkerXP
              HawkerXP commented
              Editing a comment
              No easy way to dispose of those small gas bottles.
              I never looked into getting the adapter to use a large gas bottle.

• RonB
              RonB commented
              Editing a comment
              I did attach the adapter and it's great. No more fiddling with those small bottles, and a tank will last well over a year.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here