Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lighter Fluid? How often do you use it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Never.

Comment

First..no I don't use lighter fluid. Disliked the smell both on my briquets and my hands when I used to use it. Haven't used it for at least 30 years or more, so I can't really offer a comparison. However, aside from the smell, seems inconvenient to store a bottle of flammable liquid when a simple solid starter cube in a chimney or the propane starter in my Weber Performer works quite well and both are very convenient.
      Second..Reading your reply responses I get the sense that you really aren't interested in input, rather more interested in defending your use of lighter fluid. If you really like using fluid and it works for you by all means you should use it. However, doubt you will find a lot of support on this forum.

Comment

I use weber starter cubes either by themselves to light a low and slow cook or to start a chimney because I don't like all the ash from newspaper.

Comment

I have LF in my garage. There I said it. However, it has been there for 12+ years and I think I used it 12 years ago 1 time. Used it to start my vertical gas smoker I think.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
            ComfortablyNumb commented
            Editing a comment
            Well, as long as we are confessing, I have some as well. I used it at the last Burning Man Festival I attended! ;-)

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            I've got one too. Never used. I try to figure out a way to get rid of it safely (for the environment) every time I clean the garage.

Kathryn

I used match light charcoal 15-20 years ago when that’s what my Grandma bought at her cabin in MN. That was the last time I used lighter fluid outside of Ronsonol in a Zippo hand warmer.

Comment

Dont use it and do not own any. The chimney works great for starting fires. I am not going to say one way or the other on the smell, etc. Just no interest in using fluid.

Comment

Originally posted by Panhead John View Post
              I know this post is early, and I figured I’d get this type of response so far. But honestly, I’ve done many cooks both ways. With and without lighter fluid. For years. I’ve fed many people my cooks over the years, not once has anyone said "Hmmm, did you cook this using lighter fluid?" I think a lot of people here might be "chimney snobs". They would be aghast at cooking with lighter fluid. Has anyone here honestly done a side by side comparison with the finished product and been able to tell a difference? I doubt it. The lighter fluid burns off, it doesn’t linger. I’m more concerned with unlit coal smell while I’m cooking.

P.S. I’m talking about wetting the coals with lighter fluid, then waiting for 45 seconds or so, then lighting the coals. Then letting them burn for 20-30 minutes until the coals are white ash. THEN cooking over them.

Not a snob, just never saw the need. It takes 20 minutes in the chimney either way, so why waste the money on lighter fluid? And my other cooker is a kamado, where lighter fluid is forbidden due to its ability to soak into the ceramic.

Comment

• Mosca
                Mosca commented
                Editing a comment
                Naw, it was mild, and you've established a mischievous but friendly and generous personality. Accepted, but no apology needed.

I've never used it because stuff lights fine without it.

• ofelles
                ofelles commented
                Editing a comment
                Panhead John Because you were open minded enough to have seen the light and started using pineapple and squash in your chili, I can find it in my heart to forgive this major infraction. JUST NEVER LET IT HAPPEN AGAIN!
                Last edited by ofelles; October 24, 2020, 09:48 AM.

• Panhead John
                Panhead John commented
                Editing a comment
                Awww.......Gee Guys!......You’re the best!

Don't use it..

Comment

• FireMan
                FireMan commented
                Editing a comment
                Are you tellin us not to use it or you don’t use it. Make up yer mind you salty Norwegian!

• Elton's BBQ
                Elton's BBQ commented
                Editing a comment
                Well FireMan I don't use it.. 😎🔥
                I use a chimney to fire up my coals.
                Last edited by Elton's BBQ; October 24, 2020, 11:29 PM. Reason: Autocorrect fubar

I don't use it, but for no good reason. I used it years ago and the notion that it taints food with a taste is a food myth. Unless you are using it as a condiment.

Comment

• Panhead John
                Panhead John commented
                Editing a comment
                I do sometimes use it as a dip for my French fries.

Almost never. I like a weed torch and chimney the best. Then it's lit and stays lit.

Comment

I used it years and years ago, but don’t now. I recall having various degrees of success getting the coals started, but if you are happy with it who cares. You like it and if your guests do go for it.

Comment

• HawkerXP
                  HawkerXP commented
                  Editing a comment
                  His guest list is rather short. "Mom! Dinner is ready!"

• Panhead John
                  Panhead John commented
                  Editing a comment
                  HawkerXP I had to install an intercom system. Sometimes she can’t hear me from down in the basement.
                  Last edited by Panhead John; October 24, 2020, 12:22 PM.

I have a can of it in my garage from 1998, which is the last time I used it. 😜

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	calvin_gas3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	142.3 KB ID:	928444

I only use it for burning trash. I use mostly lump charcoal and I use the wood wool starters; I use a chimney for briquettes with paper as a starter. I haven't used lighter fluid in over 20 years. I was able to taste it on food my dad cooked sometimes but I think that was improper fire management or briquettes on the outer edges that didn't light.
                  Last edited by 58limited; October 24, 2020, 07:14 AM.

Comment

• FireMan
                    FireMan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    When I first read this I read wool wood starters & thought, what in blazes are wool wood starters? Then I reread it, wood wool starters & thought oh! What in blazes are wood wool starters?
                    Last edited by FireMan; October 26, 2020, 06:04 PM.

• 58limited
                    58limited commented
                    Editing a comment
                    FireMan https://www.fireandflavor.com/produc...-fire-starters

Lots of different brands on the market, I buy the cheapest I can find.

Used to. A long time ago. I do have a container with some in it. I think I last used it to burn off the crud on the bottom of the Weber. Would not advise this. Chimney and paper for me now.

Comment

I quit using it some years ago when I started with a ceramic cooker. Wanted to avoid getting it in the ceramic. Don't use it in my Webers either. I’m sure it’s ok if you really burn it off, but I don’t like the smell.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here