Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it Safe to start a fire using Cardboard boxes with print and or whatever glue holds them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it Safe to start a fire using Cardboard boxes with print and or whatever glue holds them?

I get alot of boxes from Amazon and the containers of the items as well. Most are cardboard boxes, but is it safe to use this to get the fire started ? Ive been using wads of Paper Towels...but I would rather try and use what I might throw away.

If I only use it...just to start the fire...would there be any smoke or residue from whatever glue or tape or plastic coating on come container boxes. Is that safe for the firebox...I usually let my fire run for 30 minutes or so...to build up the heat and have a clean fire..with blueish smoke.

Any ideas or thoughts on this? I hate wasting good boxes for the trash. But if its safe...and the smoke isnt toxic...why not??

or boxes that cases of coke or Root Beer come in.

Comment

How much of the cotton pickin box are ya burnin. I might use a couple of sheets of newspaper or a strip or two of the charcoal bag to get a fire goin. So,I guess if I were inclined I might use a strip or two of cardboard, probably not the whole box. That said, yer not cookin with the box & the glue would seem to be negligible (as in little tiny amounts), ditto on the print. Git yer coals started & cook away.
      Last edited by FireMan; June 25, 2020, 05:42 AM.

Comment

As long as you're not lighting it inside your house

Comment

In addition to the 2 previous comments from my esteemed colleagues, you're not going to be cooking your food over the burning boxes, right? Same with using BBQ lighter fluid to start one. Leaving aside the whole does it or does it not impart a taste to your food, I certainly wouldn't drink or sniff the stuff but I also wouldn't be worried about getting sick from food cooked over a fire that it started.

Comment

Back in my memory banks is the story of a guy who decided to make a smoker out of cardboard boxes. Things were going well until it sorta got away from him, "it" being combustibles. He was doin the smokin tween two house @ started em both on fire.
            Moral of the story: it is not wise to make a smoker out of cardboard box/boxes.

Comment

considering it could have anything on it, i'd maybe use it to light a chimney but not in a firebox

Comment

I seem to have plenty of empty KBB bags. I use these when not using the gas assist on my performer.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here