Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did You Know Your Grill Lighter Can Be Converted Into A Genetic Engineering Tool?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did You Know Your Grill Lighter Can Be Converted Into A Genetic Engineering Tool?

Here's a screengrab from a terrific article about how scientists at Georgia Tech took apart a simple butane lighter and turned it into a tool for genetic engineering. This makes an important lab tool available to labs with low budgets--like high schools:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	322
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	789886

Here's the link to the article for those who want to read it: https://phys.org/news/2020-01-scient...-tech-lab.html

no. thanks

Comment

I had to look it up. This is what I found:

"
      Electroporation, or electropermeabilization, is a microbiology technique in which an electrical field is applied to cells in order to increase the permeability of the cell membrane, allowing chemicals, drugs, or DNA to be introduced into the cell."

Sounds like it could be fun.....

Comment

• Jim White
        Jim White commented
        Editing a comment
        In what seems like a previous life, I was once a practicing molecular biologist. I'm pretty sure I did electroporation a time or two.

• ComfortablyNumb
        ComfortablyNumb commented
        Editing a comment
        Jim White Well if you can't remember it, it must have been fun!! ;-)

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh yeah man, it was fun! ✌️

Hmmm - I'm kinda iffy on high school students doin' genetic engineering...

Comment

• Jim White
        Jim White commented
        Editing a comment
        No worries. They don't have access to--or the equipment for handling--anything that's actually dangerous.

AND the winner for the month's Accidental New Virus is...… Jimmy W! C'mon down and See what you've Won!

Comment

Hmm. ". . . ( a device) to temporarily open cell walls . . ." When I was a defense attorney I had a few clients who could have used one of those.

Comment

• Bobmcgahan
          Bobmcgahan commented
          Editing a comment
          Now that is hilarious.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here