Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chimney vs fire starters..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chimney vs fire starters..

To all you PKers out there. When cooking steaks, chix breasts, pork chops, burgers (not smashed), pork tenderloins, etc...IN other words, NOT long cooks, how do you generally light your coals? Full lit chimney, Pile unlit coals and use starters? Dump lit coals on unlit coals?....I generally use a fully lit chimney but looking for a consenses from some of you long time PK 360 users.
    Thanks.

Not a PKer, but that's exactly what I do with my kettle, chimney for hot and fast; starters for low & slow on my Bronco.

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      +1

• HotSun
      HotSun commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Murdy. I have been struggling with my chimney on low and slow cooks. May switch over to starters from now on.

• RickyBobby
      RickyBobby commented
      Editing a comment
      This for me, too.

I use a little tumbleweed and a chimney, at least in my PKGO that seems the best way to get a fire going. Due to the size of the go if I need to top it off I find it better just to light another chimney, obviously you have more space than I do to work with.

Comment

Loaded and lit chimney on my Kettle & Smokey Joe.

Comment

I use a chimney to lite my charcoal, then dump it in the PK. But how much charcoal depends on what I am grilling. Couple steaks - 1/2 chimney, etc.

Comment

Lately I have been filling the chimney about 1/3 full and using the charcoal from the previous cook. Now this fire does not get as hot at using a full chimney, but it does cook burgers and hotdogs without an issue.

Comment

Whether starting charcoal for the grill or sticks for the smoker I use a 500k BTU weed burner to get the fire going!

Comment

• Skip
              Skip commented
              Editing a comment
              I also like my Weed Burner for a Hot fire.

Same here. It also burns the gunk of the grates. A quick wipe afterwards with a wet paper towel you got a clean grate, hot coals and ready to go.

Comment

I mostly grill on my Jumbo Joe. If I’m filling the slow and sear I turn the chimney upside down and throw a fire starter on the grate then fill, that gives me an even layer in the slow n sear about 2 coals high. When I’m using all the the space in the grill I run the chimney the regular way.

Comment

Indirect I fill half the grill grate basket and light a few pieces in the chimney or use a fire starter in the corner.

Hot and fast generally full chimney red hot. Set up with two zones to be able to have a safe spot.

Steaks and chicken I always do indirect. Burgers, hot dogs, flank steak for fajitas hot and fast directly over the charcoal.

Comment

Typically a chimney

Comment

I always use a chimney stater or a torch. Torch for lump and chimney for Kingsford.

If I am doing burgers, I like to use a chimney.

Comment

Also a big fan of Weed Torch method. I have the shorter stick rigged up with MAP. The thing rips! Way hotter burn compared to the standard propane. Neighbors always know when I'm firing it up, hah. I've had the Su-VGun waiting in my amazon cart for some time. That'll be next

Comment

I am also a huge fan of the 250K BTU weed burner. It work great to light the BGE.

Comment

Good info since I am still using training wheels on my SNS Kettle.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here