Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Highly recommended fire starters from Melt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A 50% coupon today plus an extra 10% for subscribe and save. I got a box for $7.67 shipped.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! MIne was $7.60 (.07 less tax in MI than IL I guess). I hardly need another box yet but at that price it is just too good.

I feel like I am going to go back to my Rutland squares after I am done with my Melt box. I fully recognize the vast variability in start-up conditions.

However, the Melt are smaller and more crumbly than the Rutland which means they burn faster and don’t seem to get the coal ashed over before burning out. So I end up using more per cook. With the Rutland, once lit, they’d burn long enough to get the coal going, and I’d use one square per cook so more efficient.

It’s not super scientific, I’d agree, but just some observations.

Comment

• Oak Smoke
      Oak Smoke commented
      Editing a comment
      I’m a Rutland user and very happy with them.

I'm still using my batch of Melt Fire Starters, purchased almost 2 years ago. At that time they had a BOGO sale on, as I recall, because I got about 4 boxes of them. I like them a lot. Easy to light, not as messy as the Weber paraffin fire starters, and gets the chimney going in no time.

Kathryn

Comment

• STEbbq
      STEbbq commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, both Melt and Rutland are a massive improvement over the Weber cubes and far cheaper to boot.

I found the Melt (or similar brands) were fine but if you hold them for a time they seem to dry out and loose their accelerant (I presume is kerosine). I ended up using two to start my fires. For a little more money I purchased these off Amazon, I've been very happy with them. Easy to light and catches my chimney full every time under almost all conditions. They are made from compressed sawdust-like material, not sure what else.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	42
Size:	652.8 KB
ID:	1577155

Comment

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, good to know.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here