Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Question for B&B Lump Users...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AZ Fogey View Post
    I used B&B Lump for the first time the other day. As soon as the flame from the butane torch lighter hit the charcoal, the wood started sparking - a lot. It looked like a firefly convention, and it kept sparking throughout the entire 45 minute cook. The tile patio floor around the pit was littered with carbon spots. Needless to say, I wasn't impressed with the charcoal. Is this common, or did I just get a bad bag?
    Ive never used a torch before but no issues when I put it in a chimney starter. I do have a hard time lighting it when I dump it in my PBC and try to start it by simply putting a wax cube in it vs other brands but that's about it.

Comment

After reading the replies of all the other folks on here who didn't have a sparking problem with B&B, I salvaged the discarded bag from the trash can and tried using it again last night. This time, I used 2 "Light A Fire" pods buried in the charcoal. There were hardly any sparks at all and the coal lit normally. It would seem that B&B lump doesn't like the tremendous heat of a propane torch applied all at once.

Before I got the propane torch, I had switched from Weber starter cubes to "Light A Fire" pods because I didn't like the residue that the Weber cubes always left behind, and the "Light A Fire" pods are very good starters.

Comment

I have burned several bags of B&B, I usually light my coals with a heat gun, and they definitely send some sparks, but that is the case with almost all of the brands I've tried, with Royal Oak being the worst offender IMO. I just recently bought a couple bags of Fogo on sale, and that is the only charcoal that doesn't send sparks flying everywhere when I light.

Comment

• AZ Fogey
          AZ Fogey commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree. Fogo is sparkless no matter how it's lit. Jealous Devil sparks a very little and only while under direct assault from a propane torch.

I have always found a paper towel with some vegetable oil on it lights things up nicely, and it doesn't leave any residue..

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here