Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Charcoal storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charcoal storage

I was just curious what everybody uses to store your charcoal?? Trying to tidy up the back porch. I got charcoal bags everywhere 😂. I did a search but couldn’t find anything. Maybe I am not using the right words for the search. Thanks in advance

Are you looking to store the actual charcoal, or the bags of charcoal? My 18.6 lb bags of Kingsford go in the loft of my 10 x 10 shed, and then I keep about a bag's worth of charcoal in one of those plastic Kingsford charcoal caddies to use from. I think it came from Lowes.

Comment

• efincoop
      efincoop commented
      Editing a comment
      Same here, for what it's worth.

Im actually going to be building some buffet style tables for my porch with storage, but I had looked into something like this in the past: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Keter-Pr...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Comment

Yes I’m looking for something to actually store the charcoal in without the bags.

Comment

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        I hadn't seen this when I posted. I store mine in the bag in the bin, but I don't see why you couldn't store it without the bags.

I store mine in the garage.

Comment

I have a couple of these in dark grey. They do a good job. I just have to be careful when I take the lids off after it rains - water collects on the top.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	clear-base-with-clear-lid-and-black-latches-sterilite-storage-bins-19888604-64_1000.jpg
Views:	598
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	683665

Comment

I like those Kingsford Charcoal Caddy’s if you can find them at Lowe’s or Home Depot and arent all cracked and smashed.

Comment

• klflowers
            klflowers commented
            Editing a comment
            I don't know why I never saw these - I am in Home Depot a lot. I am going to look for one.

• Black99vette
            Black99vette commented
            Editing a comment
            I have several of these. I use the smaller one for tailgating. Plus I always have a bag in the Weber Performer.

If I was in search of charcoal storage today, I would maybe go with something like the Vittles Vault.

edit: Mods, I attempted to navigate to the item on Amazon using the AR link and then use that URL. Not sure if I did it right, or if it even works that way.

Comment

• Santamarina
            Santamarina commented
            Editing a comment
            Never thought to store charcoal in one of those (we keep dog and cat food in them), but it sure seems like a great idea...especially for keeping outside near your cooker!

I store my stockpile on a pallet in a dry room and I store the open charcoal bags in a galvanized trash can near the outdoor kitchen.

Comment

• RichieB
            RichieB commented
            Editing a comment
            I use what Attjack uses. It's down at the bottom of my deck right outside basement entrance. Extra bags get placed in the basement. I never thought of dumping the charcoal out of the bag directly in the can. Duh.... Thanks lukenich18

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            I tried dumping directly into the can before but I'm back to just sticking the bags in there. Too many broken bits too much mess. I keep a bag of lump and a bag of briquettes in there and next to the can is another smaller can for spent ashes.

• Jessterr
            Jessterr commented
            Editing a comment
            One thing to consider with a galvanized can, though, is that depending upon your location condensation could be an issue. I keep two in my grill area for waste, a 5 gallon and a 30 gallon, and nearly every time I open either one in the summer there’s water inside, even though the lids fit tightly. Took me a while to figure it out, but it’s condensation. I couldn’t keep charcoal in them,

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Comment

I keep extra bags in shed. The bag I'm working out of is in the back of my Explorer which backs right up to my patio. It keeps the bag dry. Don't think I'd dump the bags into anything though. Sounds messy.

Comment

If you have a way to scoop it out for the cooker a metal garbage can works well.

Comment

• Attjack
                Attjack commented
                Editing a comment
                But at the bottom of the barrel, you are leaning in there breathing in the coal dust as you scoop.

• Steve B
                Steve B commented
                Editing a comment
                Mmmmmm coal dust. That’s never been associated with anything. 🤔

I've been considering this for open bags. https://www.amazon.com/Behrens-Silve...mazingribs--20 they also make a 10 gal trash style can. I think a full bag would fit.
              Dimensions 18 x 17 x 16 inches

Comment

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                I have the large 30-gal version of this and I LOVE it! The lid is wind & rainproof. 2 whole 20-lb Kingsford bags fit in it easily.

Buddeez Kingsford Kaddy (The brand at Home Depot, Lowes, Tractor Supply, Amazon, etc.)
              They come in different sizes...I have several. I use them for charcoal and wood chunks. Keeps everything nice and organized...and within easy access.

Comment

I keep the bags stacked inside a small garden shed with my pool chemicals and other backyard junk. So far the Alabama humidity has not caused any issues, even with the paper bags that Kingsford uses. As long as it doesn't get rained on I think you are fine.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here