Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quebracho charcoal from Argentina - any good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quebracho charcoal from Argentina - any good?

So I've come across a 'new' (to me) type of charcoal named Quebracho charcoal. It originates from Argentina, and according to the sales pitch it is called "the ax breaker", due to the source wood being allegedly very hard. I don't know what type of wood it is made from. Now, is this something any of you have heard of? Has anyone tried it? Ahumadora, it's from your continent at least, do you know?

Yes, I'll buy a bag and see, not that big of a deal, but I figured with the vast collective knowledge in the Pitmaster Club surely someone has tried this before

Click image for larger version  Name:	coal1.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	28.7 KB ID:	603449

Click image for larger version  Name:	coal2.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	85.7 KB ID:	603450

It appears that the wood it's made from is Quebracho blanco. I'm sure there's more info out there, but here's a link to get you started: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspido...ebracho-blanco

Comment

I have nothing but great luck with this stuff. I love it, burns forever in the BGE.

Comment

Keiferr might have some input soon
        Last edited by SmokeyGator; December 6, 2018, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Yep use it all the time. Talked to a guy who makes it in the north of Argentina and will sell it super cheap if I buy 30 tons at a time. If anyone is interested in importing container loads from here let me know. Can be bagged here and shipped to anywhere.
          Last edited by Ahumadora; December 6, 2018, 04:45 PM.

Comment

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            Brilliant, I may have to take you up on that offer. What size bags is it? The ones available in Sweden (crazy expensive) are 15 kilos. Would love to offer it cheaper to pit masters here, and still make a buck or two myself.

Que bracho colorado (red) heavy as hell a hard as a rock. Burns forever and turns into a red glowing brick. Great for asados

Comment

Thanks Henrik. After looking, here WalMart and Home Depot carry it! With a Spinaker endorsement, I'll be trying some soon.

Ahumadora too bad for us but it looks like red isn't carried here yet.

Comment

Que bracho colorado with mora in the background. Que bracho blanco is excellent for lump charcoal and spits less than colorado.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Ahumadora; December 6, 2018, 05:23 PM.

Comment

Quebracho wood is a component or the most part of Kamado Joe charcoal. Burns long and smells great. Does spark some. Its my favorite lump for my KJClassic.

Best regards,
                Jim

Comment

I love this forum! Thanks all for the great replies!

Comment

Did not see it at http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpindexpage.htm?bag but I would like to see someone review it the way Naked Wiz does for foreign material, sizes in the bag, heat temp.

I will pick some up and try. My Thermometer only goes to 1000 degrees so I can not test actual burning temp.

I use an entire 20 pound bag on a long cook. Would be nice to have a slow burner!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	A20718C2-61F7-4965-8741-6B506CFE0BCF.jpeg
Views:	3277
Size:	166.0 KB
ID:	605707Click image for larger version

Name:	CBDD06C5-9205-4585-945F-46A4551B73BC.jpeg
Views:	3254
Size:	176.6 KB
ID:	605708 A very generous fellow pit master (@SmokeyGator) provided me some recently and I used it for the first time today. It’s great! Takes a little longer to get to temp than Royal Oak, but it may have been me being anxious too. Almost no smoke once started good. Burns a bit hotter too. I can set my BGE for desired temp and walk away. Monitored this time and had to dial back the daisy wheel a tiny bit. After my cook I took the daisy wheel off and it went from 300 to 700 in 30 minutes. My new favorite for high quality cooks!

Comment

• SmokeyGator
                        SmokeyGator commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I should get some myself!

• Spinaker
                        Spinaker commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Fill up that firebowl!

Spinaker lol! It was a short 4 hour cook. I will look today to see how much is left .

Comment

Yea another one of the world's great forests destroyed in the name of BBQ !!! Where can I get a bag or two ???

Comment

Unfortunately the forest is going to go no matter what to open farmland. Might as well benefit as much as possible for the loss.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here