Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Charcoal chimney lighting procedures and timing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by John View Post
    I had a COS with an infrared burner, those are the best starters ever. I really need a gas torch like that, my paper goes out before finishing probably 20% of the time.
    Yeah those torches are so nice for lighting the paper. Lots of blue flame heat to really get that paper rolling when a regular lighter can take so much longer sometimes. I started using my torch only when it was damp outside and the paper was damp, now I don't use a regular lighter anymore just the torch.

Comment

• Beefchop
      Beefchop commented
      Editing a comment
      My neighbor actually uses his torch to directly light the charcoal in his kettle!

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      @Beefchop, my torch is the small plumber's style. I do use it occasionally to light a few briquets when I'm using my baby Weber, but it would be a waste to try to use it on a chimney full.

Caution: most regular sized grills do not need a full chimney. Usually only larger smokers need this much. A standard Weber grill is best setup in the Minion or snake/fuse method for long cooks. Or for a shorter bruger or steak cook, use maybe 15-20 coals. This is discussed at length in other threads.
    I hope this helps![/QUOTE]

Weber does make a smaller 'mini-chimney' that is perfect for 20 or briquettes. It works just like it's big brother. Avaialbe at amazon.com.

Comment

Question: When my fire is getting low using charcoal briquettes, is is best to just fire up new hot coals in the chimney and add them, or is it ok to just throw unlit briquettes on the existing fire?

With lump it was no biggie just putting a piece of unlit on the existing fire, but charcoal briquettes seem to smoke much more when starting.

I am keying off your note about not dumping your chimney in your firebox until the blue smoke is gone. I don't want to taint the meat with any kind of funky smoke that would ruin the meat.

Note: I do not use lighter fluid or the fluid infused briquettes like MatchLight - just plain Kingsford.

Please advise.

Comment

HC, I add unlit briquettes whenever needed. I have never added lit ones Kind of a manual Minion Method.

Comment

• HC in SC
          HC in SC commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Jon! My CVS has an ultra small firebox that need maintenace every few hours. I had been just changing out the whole firebox with all new coals (Minon style) for long cooks. It is great for a 2-3 cook, but once I get into the long cooks it is a major PIA.

Thankfully the wife let me pull the trigger on a PBC - I read where Jerod said his will go 8-9 hours with a full fire basket. Can't wait!

Thanks again for the knowldge Jon!

HC it depends what you're doing. When you're midway into a cook and you add unlit coals it's much less of a problem since warm/hot/dry meat takes on less smoke than cold wet meat as at the start of the cook. In other words it's less susceptible to bad smoke after you've been cooking and the meat is hot. For more on tis check out Meathead & Dr. Blonder's "Smoke Ring" article, about 1/3 of the way down under the subheading "How to get a smoke ring", it touches on this principle. I like to start a cook off with a nice hot "good smoke", then I get much less worrisome about it as things progess. And too, when we're doing the snake/fuse/minion method, the relation of freshly lit smoking coals to hot lit coals is rather low, so in this case it matters little.

Comment

• HC in SC
          HC in SC commented
          Editing a comment
          So after trial and error in my CVS I have surrendered and found it better in the long run to just dump the dying coals and start a whole new firebox. The dip in temp is not all that bad during the swapping out process, and the Minon method burns steadier and longer than just throwing on new coals to the dying ones. The chimney effect smokes a crapload of 'non value added' smoke. Such is the way when dealing with such a tiny firepan area in the Brinkmann cabinet smoker, but at least I learned what I am doing with it.

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          HC- yep, that's exactly what I would do when I used my ECB regularly. I would pick out coals with my tongs if the temp was too high, and I would add a new chimney of coals as needed. 2 or 3 chunks of wood on top. I didn't spend enough time trying the Minion method to get it to work well enough for me in that smoker. Easy enough to open the bottom door and just add coals.

Do you have holes drilled in your charcoal bowl? I found that to be a necessity. I have 12-15 1/4" holes drilled in it.

• HC in SC
          HC in SC commented
          Editing a comment
          Didn't drill holes in the firepan, but got one of those Kingsford round wok toppers that fits right in the OEM pan. I just grab a couple of small, flat pieces of brick or rock between then OEM pan and the wok topper for air flow. Didn't want to drill the OEM pan because it looked like it would cause a fly ash problem. I got kudos all around for the butt I just did on it, so I don't think I'll be retiring it soon even though the PBC arrived today. Going to break it in with St Louis ribs slathered with mustard and your rub and wrapped overnight. Pics coming if a success. Thanks again for the advice.

My charcoal starter sits on top of a propane burner (which can double as a camping stove). I light the burner, put the 2/3-full chimney over it, let it burn for about 5 minutes, then shut off the propane. It works really well but over time the plastic regulator knob melts from the heat (which bothers some people) -- it doesn't affect the way it works. I'm not sure if they're made any more.

Comment

I use a charcoal starter that sits on top of a propane burner (that doubles as a camping stove). After lighting the burner I put the chimney on and wait about 5 minutes then shut off the burner. No ashes, no fluids, no waste. It works really well but some have complained that the plastic regulator knob gets distorted by the heat over time.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20141129_002.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	35827
            I now use the old bottom from a turkey fryer my neighbor gave me. I tossed the old greasy pot and use the base to start my coals. Super fast super efficient. By the way those are flowers in that pot behind my BBq equipment, for all you folks who wont see unfrozen earth for 6 months.

Comment

Originally posted by charchamp View Post
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]n35827[/ATTACH]
              ... By the way those are flowers in that pot behind my BBq equipment, for all you folks who wont see unfrozen earth for 6 months.
              Hey, thems r fightn words!! You got to be careful .. there's quite a few Canadians that visit your neck of the woods LOL, just kidding

Comment

• HC in SC
                HC in SC commented
                Editing a comment
                65 and sunny here in the Charleston, SC area. Will be 70 with a slight breeze tomorrow. Its supposed to get really, really cold later in the week - I heard we might push down to 45. People around here will be breaking out their Walls quilted coveralls, gore-tex and thinsulate. But, hey our summers suck big time - so it's all ebb and flow. Stay warm and be safe!

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here