Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minion method - why no bad smoke?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Minion method - why no bad smoke?

I am wondering why the minion method doesn't produce "bad" smoke. It seems to me as the fresh charcoal ignites and burns, it should not produce good smoke. I am new to the OKJ Branco, and was pleasantly surprised with how well it worked in regards to the smoke and length of burn. I just can't wrap my head around how it works.

I don't completely understand either, but I think it has to do with the "fresh" charcoal being heated up before it ignites. All I really know is that it works great in my Bronco Pro.

Comment

I was using the minion method on my WSM before I joined AR and learned about bad smoke. Maybe ot is like Steve R. says, I don't know. I just know it works lol

Comment

You got the basically correct answer in the first response by Steve R.
        Only vapors will burn, and the ambient heat in the fire "chamber" preheats the unburned coals to near the vapor temperature of the surface molecules. Once the ignition source reaches the preheated coals they go to full or near full ignition in short order rather than slowly getting to ignition temp which is what causes the "bad" smoke.

Comment

I’d always wondered the same thing myself. Over the years, no matter if I was smoking or grilling, I’d use lighter fluid and let the coals get hot first. I never did any type of minion method, thinking I’d get too much bad smoke in my food. It wasn’t until joining AR that I stopped doing that. Good question!

P.S. Congrats on the Bronco. All of us who have responded to you so far….have one.

Comment

• Uncle Bob
            Uncle Bob commented
            Editing a comment
            One?

• mrteddyprincess
            mrteddyprincess commented
            Editing a comment
            They can have my lighter fluid when they pry it from my cold dead hand.

I think of it as the temperature of the flame front. When your chimney of charcoal is smoking, It is all burning at once, and some of it is hot and some of it is smoldering. But when you're using the minion, half your charcoal is hot, The other half is not, and at the flame front is the same temperature as the hot.

Comment

Thank you all for the replies and explanations. One of the reasons I love AR! I smoked a pork butt on my Branco for its first cook. When I get time I will post how that went

Comment

It has to do with the heat and fuel. My guess. I have only heard of bad smoke from wood and not charcoal.

Comment

• RlsRls
                RlsRls commented
                Editing a comment
                Also on a similar note. I've often wondered with long cooks on a stick burner , or any off- set smoker for that matter, why isn't bad smoke always present if you're always adding wood to the fire box? Inquiring minds want to know!

Here you go
              (5) How to get good smoke on a charcoal grill - YouTube
              Last edited by bbqLuv; March 5, 2023, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Uncle Bob there was a thread a number of years ago which described using a Dutch Oven filled with wood chunks with holes drilled in the bottom and placed on the fire in a Kamado. The theory was essentially your description. The impure vapors from the wood smoke were essentially burned off as the exited the bottom of the Dutch Oven into the fire. With the fire on top of the charcoal in the Minion method the same thing happens.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here