Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

B&B Oak Charcoal in Big Green Egg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

B&B Oak Charcoal in Big Green Egg

My friend won't try B&B Charcoal in his BGE. I figure it's because of ash from stuff like KBB, etc. he's used in the past.

Who in the BGE crowd has experience with charcoal in their Kamado? Any suggestions?

If we are talking lump charcoal then by all means use it. B&B lump is a very good deal on good charcoal. I use it in my Kamado Joes regularly. At $19.99 for 20 lbs versus $32.99 for Kamado joe big block or Fogo premium you can’t go wrong.

Comment

^^^^agreed, I've used any number of lump charcoals in my BKK, FOGO and Jealous Devil being two of the most noteworthy.
      Burning Visions lump right not while Royal Oak or Cowboy are my usual go to's.
      Depends what's on sale for me.

Comment

Charcoal is not recommended in BGE. Only lump.
        I have used both B&B lump as well as Fogo. I prefer the Fogo, but it is a little pricier.

Comment

I used it all the time. The lump anyway. The briquettes can be used just fine, but for long cooks all that ash the briquettes produce can plug up the holes in the grate or basket and cause the fire to snuff out. Using briquettes won't hurt the Egg, but for long cooks, still with B&B lump.

Comment

• Bkhuna
            Bkhuna commented
            Editing a comment
            That's what I was wondering about. I know B&B charcoal makes less ash but I'm not familiar with what an egg would tolerate.

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            It certainly will not hurt your egg, and if you have a basket for your charcoal, you would probably be fine as you get way more airflow over using the standard fire grate.

I use Jealous Devil lump in my large BGE. It works well althought there's been a wide variety of lump sizes in recent bags.

Comment

I will assume we are talking B&B Lump charcoal since this your friend has a BGE.

Here's the comparison of 2 different B&B with Green Egg Brand. I also included Rockwood which is what I use (I need maximum burn time since I have a Medium Big Green Egg (Oxymoron!) which has barely enough cooking time as it is.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumprankdat...,138,141,102,0

Based on this your friend may find more ash compared to BGE charcoal, or not, depending on the particular B&B variety

Naked wiz is a great resource. If you really want to understand Kamado "Flashback" he has a great discussion along with research on the topic. Lots of other good stuff too, though the charcoal ratings are extremely useful.

Comment

• Bkhuna
              Bkhuna commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for the link.

I’ve used their lump and have been happy with the large pieces, but it produces more ash and burns faster than some other brands I’ve used. I think it is a good bargain for the price and still use it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here