Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

B&B Competition Briquettes or Char-logs??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

B&B Competition Briquettes or Char-logs??

I would like to get longer cooking times when doing ‘low-and-slow’ smokes on my kettle + SNS. I currently use KBB briquettes and get about 6 - 8 hours with the SNS loaded up at 230 - 260 degrees. One of the things I want to try is switching from KBB to either B&B briquettes or B&B char-logs. So, my question is, which of these options could I expect to get the longest ‘low and slow’ cook times, B&B briquettes or char-logs?

I’m asking this now because Perry Mason just posted at great sale at Wal-Mart for B&B briquettes, and I love a great deal.

Not sure about the char-logs, but I've come to prefer the briquets over the irregular shaped lump charcoal that is so popular. The problem I had is that due to the irregular sizes, my temperatures would vary too much and require much closer monitoring.

Comment

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      The briqs don’t work well in Kamados, the ashes clog the bottom vent. They’re great for kettles, though.

For the long cooks, I use both B&B Briqs and Char Logs added in too. Mostly Briqs and a few logs scattered about. 10 hours is the norm maybe up to 12. I'm doing this in my PBJ. I haven't done in the Kettle with or without SnS.

Comment

• Purc
      Purc commented
      Editing a comment
      +1 on using both B&Bs for long cooks

A Char Log can be equal to as much as 2 1/2 - 3 or more briquets. Size varies. Never timed them but I rarely use the logs by themselves. PBC mostly.
    Last edited by Alan Brice; February 9, 2023, 11:54 AM. Reason: Brand cooker.

Comment

The char logs are $22.99 for 30 lbs.at our local Ace Hardware. If they’re any good, that’s not a bad price. Most of the premium lump is up to $32.99 for 20 lbs.

Comment

• Finster
        Finster commented
        Editing a comment
        damn. Knew I should have grabbed a couple of bags last month when they were still $19.99

Add me to the list of folks that mix a few charlogs in with briqs for long cooks in the PBC or the Bronco.
      Have never used in the kettle

Comment

Used char logs mixed with wood splits and lump in my offset. Going to look for B&B briquettes at WM though!

Comment

The Char Logs look like they rank well. Naked wiz doesn't list B&B competition (B&B sure likes to have many different varieties) but the Char Logs rank well compared to the other B&B products that have been tested.

I also included Rockwood because that is my favorite (highly rated and reasonably prices - just a bit slow to start, allow and extra 20 minutes) so I always like to include it for personal comparison.

Comment

The charlogs easily last much longer than briquettes for low & slow. They are very slow to light but great for long cooks.

Comment

• Grillin Dad
              Grillin Dad commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks, just what I was looking for

Only using B and B charcoal for over a year no complaints, better taste and longer run time

Comment

Originally posted by Finster View Post
              Add me to the list of folks that mix a few charlogs in with briqs for long cooks in the PBC or the Bronco.
              Have never used in the kettle
              Made some vortex wings on the kettle last night. First time using B&B briqs for grilling.
              Half a chimney's worth was plenty hot enough.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	20230512_182146.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.50 MB ID:	1419738 starting temp..
              Click image for larger version  Name:	20230512_182202.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.51 MB ID:	1419737 Texas Sugar rubbed wings..
              Click image for larger version  Name:	20230512_202549.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.73 MB ID:	1419739
              still running hot 2 hours post cook.
              (forgot to shut her down when I took the wings off 🙄)

B&B for the win 🔥

Comment

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                I love putting that piece of wood in the middle of the vortex. There is something satisfying about that. Great looking cook too. I love B&B as well.

With the super sales Walmart has been having on B&B charcoal I'd like to share how my orders were delivered.

First order: 10 bags. Delivered in 2 boxes, 5 in each, with some air bags.

Second order: 10 bags. Delivered in the bags they were made in.

Third order: 10 bags. First bag delivered in the bag it was made in. The other 9 were delivered 3 days later. Each in its own box.

Anyway. The price is right no matter how it shows.

Comment

For long smokes I Texas Crutch but do it backwards. Works great for me. Rub the meat and wrap in foil. Put in oven 225, 4 - 5 hours. Then smoke 3 - 4. Have got many compliments. Plenty of smoke flavor and moist and tender.

Comment

For long cooks I actually use both. I put a layer or two of char logs along the bottom of the SNS and then wood chunks topped with B&B briquettes.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here