Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Be forewarned… I’m building a kiln…

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Be forewarned… I’m building a kiln…

Editing…
    Last edited by Washblue; May 1, 2022, 01:26 AM.

I would like to see what this looks like. I have a friend that does charcoal in a drum with a lid.

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Interesting. My understanding is the burn is usually halted by oxygen deprivation.

I've got a friend who is interested in this, followed.

At least this wasn't titled "Be forewarned....I'm building a crematorium.."
    Last edited by 58limited; April 19, 2022, 08:35 PM.

Comment

Somebody here makes their own charcoal. Rempe did a Pitcast on it.

Comment

Former member Jon Solberg posted a decent recipe some time ago, I've always wanted to try it.

Comment

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          Why am I not surprised that a retired fireman want's to play with fire?

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, might be a good time to relearn the "old ways" of self-sufficiency.

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          Omg Jon Solberg video on what he does for a living....bwahahahaha

keep us posted, also you may enjoy
        The Science of Charcoal: How Charcoal is Made and How Charcoal Works (amazingribs.com)

Comment

Here is a discussion that has links to good info, and lots of pictures:

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...oal#post478735

The retort method of making charcoal is pretty straight forward, and can be done with a combination of a 16 gallon and 55 gallon drum.

You are basically just building a fire around the wood in the smaller drum, and letting it outgas and char without reaching combustion. I am sure a kiln heated externally could do the same thing, using propane or something. Just gotta NOT let oxygen get to the wood you are trying to turn into charcoal, otherwise it will just burst into flames and burn.
          Last edited by jfmorris; April 20, 2022, 07:51 AM.

Comment

I have made charcoal following Jon Solberg’s method with good results. I made a couple of good batches and one bad one. The bad one was with some green hickory wood, I ended up cooking it twice but the larger chunks did not make good charcoal. It is important to cut and split your wood into uniform sizes that way it will be all converted into charcoal at the same time. I would also stick to using dry hardwood. There is post someplace here with some pictures.

Comment

It would be scrappy if you could cook with all the heat needed to make charcoal.
              Something like a quarter beer keg for charcoal making inside of the fire box of a smoker.
              I bet a fabricator could sell that as a feature on a stick burner.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here