Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tried B&B Oak Lump; Huge Disappointment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tried B&B Oak Lump; Huge Disappointment

I tried B&B Oak Lump ("With Oak Hardwoods Blend") and was hugely disappointed. It started typically and burned hot (definite plusses), but it imparted absolutely no flavor to the pork tenderloin despite a brief sear and a 140-degree center. I'll add chips and/or mix it with Rockwood or FOGO next time, but my question is--Is my B&B solo experience typical? I have seen criticism of the oak blend not having much oak.

There are a couple of issues here with your disappointment, and I have to attribute it to unrealistic expectations or a misunderstanding of what B&B Oak Lump is.

First - lump charcoal is highly carbonized, and once burning, produces little to no smoke flavor on its own, without the addition of smoking wood to the fire - with chunks being preferred. In fact, on its own lump burns cleaner and produces less smoke and smoke flavor than briquettes in my experience. So the fact that the lump is made from oak does not mean that you will have oak smoke flavored food coming off the cooker, unless you also add smoking wood that happens to be oak. This is my experience with ANY type of lump charcoal.

Second - oak in particular is a very neutral wood compared to something like hickory, mesquite or even fruit woods. It's also not the same as Texas "post oak".

And third - a pork tenderloin is typically a hot and fast cook. You literally don't have much time to pick up smoke flavor in that type of cook. Those skinny pork loins are just done too quick. It's not like a butt, ribs or brisket where you smoke for many hours. And even with those - ANY lump without added smoking wood will not add a lot of "smoked" flavor.

As an FYI, it would probably be safe to bet that MOST lump charcoal in the US from the big brands is made from oak or oak as a predominant source of wood, unless otherwise stated. B&B is labeling their bag as Oak lump because they also happen to sell a Hickory lump variety. I do get some smoke flavor from their hickory lump, but I also add hickory chunks to the firebox even when using that.

B&B Oak lump is my preferred fuel for my kamado, as it burns cleanly, produces little ash, and is affordable ($12.99 for a 20 pound bag here). I've never expected smoke flavor from it when smoking, without adding wood, and have noticed no smoke flavor when direct grilling with it, aside from the "grilled" flavor you get from vaporized fat drippings hitting the fire.
    Last edited by jfmorris; January 14, 2022, 08:54 AM.

Comment

I like BnB lump and as jfmorris points out I add wood to impart smoke flavor. Even so I'm not expecting a lot of smoke flavor on a quick cook.

Comment

Points well taken; message understood; and thanks for answering my question. I use lump exclusively and alternate between Rockwood and FOGO depending on the cook. I followed my standard for pork tenderloin with this cook (garlic/chipotle rub, quick sear up front, indirect for the finish with (in this case) Maurice's Vinegar BBQ sauce basted the last 6-8 minutes. That consistently elicits raves from the War Department, but both of us felt the result was flat this time around. Too early to pass judgment and I'll give B&B more time, as I like the way it behaved. Hottest fire I've ever had for longer than I've ever had it. For now I'll simply lick my wounds and live to fight another day!

Comment

I would echo jfmorris here. I use B&B oak lump almost exclusively in my kamado with good results. My only complaint is that some bags have had a good bit of ”crumble” in the bottom recently.

Comment

I would judge any charcoal on the ease of lighting, the amount of small broken pieces and burn time rather than the amount of flavor it imparts. Charcoal is just fuel, and you can add wood chunks for whatever flavor you want.

Comment

I agree with the sentiments above: charcoal is heat, wood is flavor.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                Jerod Broussard commented
                Editing a comment
                I'll remember that the next time I chew on charcoal.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here