Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prime 6 charcoal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prime 6 charcoal?

Found this at the local Ralph's and picked up a box of 9 lbs for under six bucks. It's some kind of hexagonal hardwood sawdust product. The box says it's equivalent to 30 lbs of lump charcoal.
    Anyone ever used it? I won't have a chance to use it until next weekend, if it's any good, I'd like to scoop up the other 6 or 8 boxes they have. Click image for larger version  Name:	1633715504415-1677620738.jpg Views:	56 Size:	107.0 KB ID:	1106881
    Last edited by McFlyfi; October 11, 2021, 12:03 PM.

An older thread here with some info:

Has anyone tried this charcoal before? They are a relatively new company that was featured on Shark Tank tonight. https://www.prime-six.com/

And a Naked Whiz review:

Basically, if you can get it for $6 bucks versus the $25 original price, that sounds like a pretty sweet deal. But it doesn't seem to be that much different than other quality charcoals, but maybe better marketing.

Comment

I'm in the middle of a box. Will use them when doing a low and slow in a minion method (normal lump with the prime 6 layered on top). They last a long time (and also can be preserved post cook even in a non airtight setting where my lump usually completely burns down). I get the sense, however, that they are a bit difficult to light outside of using a chimney. I would not use only the prime in a snake burn.

In my area i can get briquette at ~55c / lb and lump for 80c-$1 / lb. So at 66c / lb i'd say its a no brainer to buy assuming you have a chimney starter.
      Last edited by Smoldering Flea; October 9, 2021, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here