Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kingsford -vs- Lump -vs- Other Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Polarbear777 has done some extensive testing on different types of lump and briquettes.

I have used Royal Oak lump, FOGO lump, B&B lump, B&B char logs, and Kingsford blue bag.

I prefer lump because it reaches temp faster and creates a lot less ash. I think FOGO and B&B lump are pretty good, charlogs are outstanding for a briquete product, and Royal Oak is junk. I plan to try Masterbuilt lump next but will probably stick with FOGO or B&B lump going forward as they seem to last a while and are reasonably priced.

Comment

I always blame the cooker and not the cook. For example, I had a stupid charcoal BBQ grill that would never grill right. I went to a gaser, and it cooked a little better but the stupid propane was either too hot or not hot enough. Finally got a pellet grill one that knows how I like my BBQ. Now I can sit back and enjoy a PBR now and then.

Happy BBQ to you

Comment

Just curious Daba's BBQ Are you still in NYC?
        I saw you said you bartended and owned a business there.

Comment

• Daba's BBQ
          Daba's BBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          I used to go up to Rockland until last year. My buddy lived there but unfortunately, he died unexpectedly from a heart attack last September. Why. what's up? Meet up?

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          Damn. Sorry to hear that. Not sure how to respond to that one. But.
          Would be cool to meet up with you.
          And there are several others that live in this area that might want to get together.
          Let’s see how this can play out. 💪

• Daba's BBQ
          Daba's BBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you. Absolutely on the meet-up

I'm also going through some experiments with lump in my Weber Kettle, after using KBB exclusively for the past two years. I have a very, very small sample size: two bags of Royal Oak and one bag of B&B.

The problem I had with the Royal Oak is just the large number of itty bitty pieces. These would fall through the charcoal grate and "clog up" the bottom vent holes. The B&B bag (again, just one bag so far), has much less smaller pieces. The chunks were typically larger than Royal Oak and felt a little denser. I think this helps them survive shipping better and results in a less number of itty bitty pieces.

I'll see if my results continue as I continue to use B&B.

Comment

Anybody have any experience with Wegmans house lump or briquettes? I exhausted my stash of Weber briquettes and am having trouble reconciling with KBB now that I've strayed from it for over a year.

Comment

• Mosca
            Mosca commented
            Editing a comment
            Wegman’s lump is a good workhorse fuel at a bargain price. I use it often. I haven’t used the briqs but I wouldn’t be afraid of them.

I also think this Blackbear stuff is worth checking out. It would definitely offer a different experience.

Final edit: so gents, apparently, starting a niche luxury goods business right at the start of what’s shaping up to be a decade of global economic chaos wasn’t a recipe for success. Blackbear Charcoal is no more, if you ordered any and have not received it please PM me or @ me here and I’ll make sure to get some out to you

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here