Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For Sale: BlackBear Charcoal Hex Logs - pure coconut hexagonal briquettes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uttz

Hey fellow Tennessean & a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you as well!

yes, my neighbor across the street wants most of them as we’re both planning to move (closer to family on both counts) and he wants to stock up beforehand. I do have probably 10-30 left, but I’d have to check first. I’ll send you an IM to discuss pickup as I’d rather not discuss where exactly I live publicly.

Thank you very much for spreading the word! It’s greatly appreciated, any support for a local small business is always welcome.

HEX LOGS are made to a much higher standard than what’s stocked in the big box stores (Kingsford, Royal Oak, house brands). Coconut shell is a very dense wood and makes excellent charcoal. You can expect it to burn 3-4x longer, hotter and its clean enough to use in a kamado (low ash). It marries the consistency of briquettes with the performance of lump, which is why I often refer to it as "lumpbriquettes". So it would work great in an OK Joe.

However, drum smokers have ample room for charcoal & can handle ash that would completely snuff a kamado. Using it exclusively would be overkill in my opinion, besides the cost. The best use would be to add 2-4 pieces when you want to get temps really high for crisping poultry skin, maintaining temps when you’ve got lots of meat in the smoker, or a long overnight cook on a brisket and want peace of mind that the charcoal will last.

Like I said to BFlynn it’s another "tool in the toolbox" so to speak. And I say this from direct experience, I own a pit barrel and I’ve had trouble keeping temps when I had two big cuts of meat on there & getting temps high enough when doing wings.

I look at HEX LOGS as performing best when used as 1) a supplementary tool 2) the only charcoal when using a kamado or long overnight cooks with limits to charcoal capacity like my PK Classic or a small Weber Kettle 3) getting those searing hot temps for steaks or 4) when you’re grilling for a crowd and need the charcoal to stay hot for a long time.

While it’s still ultimately just charcoal, so don’t overthink it, it IS charcoal held to a standard that any serious Pitmaster will appreciate.

Hope that answers all your questions.

Comment

• Uttz
      Uttz commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you! That makes a lot of sense. I look forward to trying it out.

Originally posted by grantgallagher View Post
    Nice review video you got there. I initially ordered 2 boxes and have used one. Will be using the second for a brisket for xmas. I dont think ill convert to using them for everyday quick grilling but they are a great product from my first impressions. And they do burn looonnngggg. Really excited to test them with a brisket cook which is probably a terrible idea since ill somehow end up screwing xmas dinner. At least this year its just the wife and kids, lol.
    late update on this. These are great for long cooks. Did the brisket for xmas on a kettle with SnS. Started sns as normal with 12 lit reg coals in one corner. Laid hex logs open end against them head to tail and stacked on top of each other in the same orientation. Burned forever at a rock steady 250.

ill dig through my cook notes to find if i noted how long exactly but this popped into my head for some reason and figured i would update this before i forgot again.

Comment

• TNPIGBBQ
      TNPIGBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for sharing your thoughts sounds like a perfect cook. I'm glad you enjoyed them! Always makes me happy to hear from a satisfied customer

JoeSousa

thanks for the tag on Instagram, looked delicious!

Comment

I ordered a box off Amazon just now. Looking forward to it and supporting a fellow poster.

Comment

• TNPIGBBQ
        TNPIGBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        I hope you enjoy(ed) them. Sorry for the late reply, life’s been crazy.

• STEbbq
        STEbbq commented
        Editing a comment
        TNPIGBBQ I am sold on them so you will get more orders from me.

Thought of you this week reading an article on Bloomberg. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...p-grill-s-heat

Comment

• TNPIGBBQ
        TNPIGBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        I missed that on Bloomberg, that’s actually a great description "the love child of binchotan and briquettes". Lol, I should put that on the box.

I need to get me some of these.

Comment

I also noticed in addition to Amazon and the Blackbear website, Walmart has them too.

Comment

• STEbbq
          STEbbq commented
          Editing a comment
          It seems like coconut charcoal is getting harder to find. I don't see any other brands at Home Depot, Lowe's, or Walmart. 1-2 brands including Blackbear at Amazon.

• TNPIGBBQ
          TNPIGBBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, I’m selling through Walmart as well. Not too many orders but I don’t pay for advertising on there like I do with Amazon.

ETA: I hadn’t looked recently but business has been booming so that may be the issue (sold out). I’ve kind of checked out of the business a bit, sales are good and my personal life has been nuts so I haven’t really been on top of things other than doing the books/taxes. Which is why I haven’t been on here in months either.
          Last edited by TNPIGBBQ; August 27, 2021, 08:52 PM.

What are people using for mixing Blackbear into lump?

I am using 2 chunks per hopper of lump, so maybe one Blackbear per 4-5 pounds of lump.

Comment

I'm a little late to the party. I could not find the product on Amazon, so I ordered directly from the site. I am looking forward to trying these out.

Comment

Looks like Amazon and Wal-Mart are out of stock, so I ordered direct from Blackbear today. Merry Christmas everyone.

Comment

I placed an order directly on the site on March 30th and received a confirmation email and my account was debited for the purchase. I sent a follow up email on April 28th and have yet to receive a response. If that changes I will update this post.

Comment

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                Sounds like a rare anomaly here. Hopefully the owner will see this and chime in soon.

• efincoop
                efincoop commented
                Editing a comment
                jcohen did you ever get your order or a response from the company?

• jcohen
                jcohen commented
                Editing a comment
                I still have yet to hear from anyone at Blackbear. But I do appreciate the quick response and effort made by the folks here.

STEbbq - how long did it take you to receive this product? This is for jcohen​​​​​​​ .

Comment

• STEbbq
                STEbbq commented
                Editing a comment
                A week or so if that. It was shipped within a day or two.

• efincoop
                efincoop commented
                Editing a comment
                I found communication was good. I paid with Gpay and got immediate confirmation & received my order in a couple of weeks. I like this product and hope it is still available.

TNPIGBBQ Please see above post ^^

Comment

I just purchased a box and I’m going to try them on my KBQ. I’ve not been attentive a couple of times and the fire went completely out. I think that I’ll put a couple of these on the bottom of the firebox and put my favorite pecan/cherry hardwood mix on top. Will see if this gives me leeway on adding more wood every 30-45 minutes and compensates for me not attending the fire like I should
                ​​​​​​ The OmegaDog

Comment

• Donw
                  Donw commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Just wondering where you purchased them.

Just closing the loop here... This afternoon I received an email from Blackbear notifying that I will be receiving a refund. There wasn't any other correspondence or replies to my messages. Thanks to those here that tried to help.

Comment

• TNPIGBBQ
                  TNPIGBBQ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I am truly sorry about this mess J.

I’ve shut down the business and thought I’d deactivated ordering a couple months back. Apparently not.

I hope you’ll understand given the above that I haven’t been looking at things and failed to notice a couple orders had gone through. Your post here alerted me today. I’ve still got a bunch and I’ll send a couple boxes your way week after next, along with OmegaDog12 to make up for this.

Again my apologies.

• jcohen
                  jcohen commented
                  Editing a comment
                  TNPIGBBQ thank you for coming back and following up! Much appreciated

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here