Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For Sale: BlackBear Charcoal Hex Logs - pure coconut hexagonal briquettes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe send some to Max Good for a review? Sure looks like an interesting product.

Comment

• Max Good
      Max Good commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for thinking of me, however, we don't test and review brands of charcoal.
      Last edited by Max Good; July 31, 2020, 08:01 AM.

• STEbbq
      STEbbq commented
      Editing a comment
      Max Good , good point. Bands of charcoals are kind of a one-hit wonder. No staying power as they just turn to ash eventually. Nothing like The Who.

• Max Good
      Max Good commented
      Editing a comment
      Busted! I meant BRANDS of charcoal.

Doesn’t sound compatible to any of my grills, but best of luck.

Comment

Just purchased. Looking forward to trying it out and I wish you the best of luck on this product!

Comment

• TNPIGBBQ
        TNPIGBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks!

Hope you enjoy!

Gonna give it a try
      Good luck with the venture

Comment

• TNPIGBBQ
        TNPIGBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you!

Your product sounds great. I'd like to try it. What is your shipping/handling cost to Michigan? I have pretty much stopped buying online due to everyone's shipping cost. I don't like paying for anything about the actual shipping costs anymore. It's all a big scam in the mail order business.

Comment

• TNPIGBBQ
        TNPIGBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        $5 for 1 box
        $7 for 2-4 boxes
        The 5-7 is less than my shipping costs.

Amazon is built into the price. Should be available next week, if you want to wait.

TNPIGBBQ just got my order and i have to say they look great. Any tips on using? ie would you mix with reg charcoal, start them for scratch or place on lit coals etc?

Comment

• grantgallagher
        grantgallagher commented
        Editing a comment
        guess ill figure it out, lol. will use some cooking some ribs tomorrow

• TNPIGBBQ
        TNPIGBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        I’m sorry if I came across as vague, I wasn’t trying to be. Cooking ribs is helpful.

What kind of grill are you using?

What you’re cooking and what grill you’re using and I can give you a concrete answer.

• TNPIGBBQ
        TNPIGBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        I’ll assume you’re not using a Kamado. And using the snake/minion method?

3-6 pieces at the bottom across the cooker. Mixed in with preferred charcoal on top. Light one corner per usual. Keep an eye on it as your regular vent settings will probably be too open.

I’ve had outstanding results per above. Cooked a brisket 18-20 hours with no need for charcoal refill on a PK that way.

grantgallagher

Just to emphasize, I was trying to be as helpful as possible but it’s versatile so I wasn’t entirely sure how to answer your question.

With a little more space here I’ll try and share some possible ways to use it.

1) grilling (quick family dinner) - light 8-10 pieces in a charcoal chimney till ashed over. Dump out and arrange in a stack with tongs. 1 row parallel 1 row perpendicular. Snuff out after use, and use again till exhausted by adding 1 or 2 pieces of fresh charcoal

2) grilling (large gathering) - use the whole box, stack in opposite directions same as above. Expect to be able to grill for 4-5+ hours

3)BBQ - either mix in with regular preferred charcoal to get longer burn time between refills (unless we’re taking a 24hr brisket cook, refill is extremely unlikely) or use 100% Hex Logs but stack two rows BOTH SAME DIRECTION. Either parallel or perpendicular AKA like the picture on the box. This will reduce airflow and keep temps down.

My recommendation for non-kamado and non fan use is to mix until you get the hang of the burn profile.

With a fan or kamado (or both), you can expect excellent results using 100% Hex Logs right away.

It’s really up to you though, how you want to use it. Your new charcoal of choice or a new tool in the proverbial toolbox. A little bit of experimentation will be required, but hey that’s half the fun of this hobby right?

Comment

• grantgallagher
        grantgallagher commented
        Editing a comment
        Extremely helpful. Sorry i was vague in my post. Appreciate the detailed feedback. I will post results.

Just got my first box of blackbear charcoal. Will be trying it out tomorrow in the PBC.

blackbear charcoal..... blackbear charcoal..... blackbear charcoal.....

Comment

• TNPIGBBQ
        TNPIGBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Hope you like it!

• TNPIGBBQ
        TNPIGBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Hope you like it!

Also, I know it's all automated, but whatever system you're using for updates is spot on. Got an update when the order shipped (within a couple minutes) and got an email that it had just been delivered.... within 3 or 4 minutes of delivery.

I have vicious guard dachshund that protect our packages, but our neighborhood is lousy with porch pirates. So the immediate updates are very helpful.

Comment

• TNPIGBBQ
        TNPIGBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm glad the system is spot on. I've had my own issues with porch pirates, never fun!

I have been using Pok Pok Thaan for the last couple of months, I like that it burns cleaner. I live in the city, so billowing smoke from starting up kingsford when we are all so close to each other never seemed right. I will most certainly order some and give it a try. If anyone is having a hard time getting it started just throw it in a chimney starter and put it on your side burner if you have a gas grill.

Comment

• TNPIGBBQ
        TNPIGBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Cool!

Hope you give it a shot, I've personally used and tested Pok Pok and liked it. I think my product is superior in a couple ways of course, but if you like Pok Pok I can say without reservation that you'll be very pleased with BlackBear Hex Logs.

And I say that as a fellow grilling enthusiast not just a salesman. My goal was to make something I personally would use for my outdoor cooking & would be appreciated by like minded folk here and elsewhere.

UPDATE: Blackbear Charcoal Hex Logs are now available through Amazon. Unfortunately, due to issues still being sorted out we are not Prime at this time.

However, we do ship via FedEx home delivery and even going all the way to Washington State you should expect no more than 4 days. AND the Amazon price is set at $27.99 with free shipping.

This link will take you directly to my store: www.amazon.com/shops/blackbearcharcoal

Adding this here as well as it will probably be easier to find than the update to the Original post.

Comment

• pknj
        pknj commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm going to place an order - amazon is how I live these days. Best of luck on the new business.

• TNPIGBBQ
        TNPIGBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        pknj Thank you very much, it's been a journey for sure & I'm the same way, you should see the boxes I've got piled up right now.

Amazon has been a nightmare business wise though. Not that I can really blame them, I don't think "Pandemic has 50% of the country working remote & 75% of the country ordering everything online" was part of the 2020 planning meetings in December of last year. LOL

I hope you enjoy it & leave a review if you do. If you hate it, just PM me here HAHA

Update:

I was very blessed to receive an offer to perform an unboxing review from a customer with a BBQ focused YouTube channel. He purchased the boxes himself & performed an unbiased review of HEX LOGS, we emailed back and forth a few times as he was asking a few questions. Mentioning that as it's the source of his comment on my being a family man in the video, if anyone was curious (I was apologizing for a delayed email and mentioned my toddler etc).

Anyway, I was tickled pink by his review and I'm proud of HEX LOGS performance & as I said before feel blessed that he reviewed us on his own dime.

Comment

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        Cool! I think I missed this the first time around, but I'll be trying this out in the next month or two. Got to pay for overspending on Christmas first lol.

• TNPIGBBQ
        TNPIGBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        klflowers

We appreciate the business! Let me know before you order, and I'll make sure you have an active free shipping code. Save you a couple bucks over amazon and toss in one of the hats I've still got lying around. They're not great hats honestly (but the price is right!).

After you order if you're in Nashville area or Jackson area & like 'em, let me know if you want to pick up some scratch and dents I've got for half off.

UPDATE - I've used most of my box now. I really like it for shorter cooks on the PBC, especially if I'm doing chicken wings and legs. It seems to run a little hotter, and have a cleaner smoke than my normal briquettes.

I'm looking forward to running it in my new SnS kettle. I think this is probably better suited for kettles and kamados than PBCs.

Definitely a quality product. I will keep buying it as a supplemental fuel, but won't be my only fuel.

Comment

• TNPIGBBQ
        TNPIGBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        I’m with ya, it’s not really cost effective for cooks on the PBC. It shines when you use it for A) poultry to get those temps way up for crispy skin or B) to keep temps up when it’s full (multi butts etc).

It’s better suited to kettles, kamados, PKs, or supplement to a wood burning offset.

I’m thrilled you liked it and hope you continue to enjoy it as "a tool in the tools box" so to speak.

Thanks again for purchasing & for sharing your experience! Make sure to tag us in your social media!

• BFlynn
        BFlynn commented
        Editing a comment
        This is as much "social media" as I do. But I will tell everyone that eats at my house!

Nice review video you got there. I initially ordered 2 boxes and have used one. Will be using the second for a brisket for xmas. I dont think ill convert to using them for everyday quick grilling but they are a great product from my first impressions. And they do burn looonnngggg. Really excited to test them with a brisket cook which is probably a terrible idea since ill somehow end up screwing xmas dinner. At least this year its just the wife and kids, lol.

Comment

• TNPIGBBQ
        TNPIGBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you!!

Out of the blue he reached out and said he was ordering and letting me know he wanted to do a video if that was all right.

Uhhh.... shoot yeah it’s all right!!

Just be conservative, as you’ve seen by now they burn hotter than what you’re used to & each piece is a big chunk of charcoal so they burn long.

There’s my warning don’t blame me if it comes out dry!

Merry Christmas!

• grantgallagher
        grantgallagher commented
        Editing a comment
        TNPIGBBQ dont worry, its way easier just to blame an unhappy cow, lol

It is exciting to see a fellow Tennessean bring this to market. Does the offer still stand to buy scratch and dents? I'm in Nolensville, so I can easily swing by and pick any up.

Forgive me; I am relatively new to using charcoal, so I am still learning. A couple of months ago, I picked up an Oklahoma Joe’s Drum Smoker. How well does your charcoal perform in a drum smoker?

I have sent your website to all my other buddies in middle TN, as we love to support local businesses.

Merry Christmas!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here