Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cookshack Smokers, opinions please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cookshack Smokers, opinions please

My niece in Seattle wants a Cookshack Smoker and, since I am the only relative that has smokers, she has asked me for my opinion and help.

I have never even seen a Cookshack and don't know anyone who has one.

She won't even consider charcoal or pellet as she says she doesn't want to "have to mess with that stuff."

If you have experience with a Cookshack, I would really appreciate your comments.

First, I know nuthin about em, at least before you mentioned them. 2nd, Went to BBQ Guys and read up on em. They seem to be well constructed & have a decent reputation. 3rd, what is she askin you fer, cuz it sounds like her mind is made up. Read up about em cuz yer the unk & tell her she done good. I think she is after yer long distance blessing. ✌️

Comment

• Clark
      Clark commented
      Editing a comment
      FireMan You're right about her wanting my blessing. She always wants others to make decisions for her. That way, if it proves to be wrong, she can't blame herself.

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      Tell her to make her own mind up.

They've been making them a long time. I had a very similar smoker in a SmokinTex and looked online at the Cookshack before buying it, but it was 10 plus years ago, and I didn't want to buy a smoker online, so went SmokinTex. Mine worked fine, you just have to be careful not to put too much wood in it as they're a super low airflow cooker. Also, if the appearance of a smoke ring matters, they often do not product one unless you add a piece or two of charcoal to the wood box.

The most important thing I think about them is considering what she plans to cook in it. I just refreshed myself on the Cookshack Smokette and it's very similar to my SmokinTex was that it only goes to 250. So, they work just fine for LnS red meats, but it's very challenging to get good poultry. Yeah, you could throw a bird in and smoke it for 30 minutes and then move it to the oven, but how many people really want to do that?

Comment

Looking over at the free site, Max and Meathead considers Cookshack the gold standard for electric smokers.

If pellet, charcoal, and presumably gas are off the list, it seems like a pretty high quality choice.

Cookshacks are the gold standard for electric smokers earning our AmazingRibs.com Best Value Silver Medals. REad our review of their Super Smoker which is a mid-sized model with a 750 watt 7 amp heating element. Impressively solid, it is stainless steel and very well insulated so it does not get very hot on the outside.

Cookshacks are the gold standard for electric smokers. We tested and reviewed this one and award it our AmazingRibs.com Silver Medal. The Smokette Elite has a 750 watt 7 amp heating element lets you cook up to 300°F. Impressively solid, it is stainless steel and very well insulated so it does not get very hot on the outside.

Comment

• Uncle Bob
        Uncle Bob commented
        Editing a comment
        They call it the "gold standard" but then give it a silver medal......hmmmmm
        Last edited by Uncle Bob; February 28, 2021, 12:23 PM.

• STEbbq
        STEbbq commented
        Editing a comment
        No electric smokers were awarded above silver.

I have one. It's an electric smoker that, without something to add smoke, is just a low powered oven. Even with wood chips, there's not a lot of smoke flavor. I haven't used it since I joined The pit. I'd sell it if I could get anything close to what it's worth.

Comment

• Clark
        Clark commented
        Editing a comment
        RonB I like your analysis of it as a "low powered oven." Thanks!

Clark Whistle her up the Fast Eddy Cook Shack, and I'm sure she'll be tickled pink by how nice her favorite Uncle is. On the off chance she doesn't like it, let me know, and I'll drive out there and haul it away for her. No charge. Honest.

Comment

• Clark
        Clark commented
        Editing a comment
        willxfmr Thanks for offering to haul if for free. Mighty neighborly of you. Also, I did not say I was her favorite uncle....but since I am her ONLY uncle I'm probably the fav.

• willxfmr
        willxfmr commented
        Editing a comment
        Clark Send a Fast Eddie my way and you can be my favorite what ever you want to be. Uncle, Brother, Sister. I'm not one to judge.

A buddy of mine has a Cookshack electric and he has liked it. Works well for him. If your niece is looking at this specific type of smoker, have her look at Smokin-it Smokers as well. Price is much more favorable and it is a great product. I have had mine for 4 years and love it. My dad has a different version than what I do and he enjoys smoking on it as well.

Both of these smokers are pretty easy to cook with, lazy-q cooking we call it. I feel the smoke flavor is actually pretty good, and I think comparable to what my friend down the street gets with his Trager. It’s a different smoke profile, and maybe some would say it’s lighter but I’ve been able to find the smoke profile I like. I use more wood chunks than what some may suggest for these but that provides the smoke profile I’m looking for.

I have a digital auber that controls the settings on mine, and one benefit of this, I can cook at higher temps - up to 325. So, nice for chicken if you want to run it that way. There is also an analog version which is just a dial you turn to set the temp and you are done.

I’ve smoked everything in it - brisket, pork butt, ribs, chicken, turkey, salmon, sausage - it all comes out wonderfully!

I’m happy to help with any questions that you may have.
      Last edited by barelfly; February 28, 2021, 08:09 AM.

Comment

• Jfrosty27
        Jfrosty27 commented
        Editing a comment
        I have a Smokin-It model #2. Got it in 2012 as my first true smoker. Loved it. So easy and I turned out some amazing Q on it. The only things I didn't like were the limited temp range, (250 max) and you can't fit a whole rack of ribs in there without cutting in half which is no big deal really. Used as my only smoker until I got my Recteq RT-700 just under two years ago. Still use it although sparingly now that I have the pellet pooper.

• barelfly
        barelfly commented
        Editing a comment
        Jfrosty27 yeah, my dad has a #2 but he doesn’t mind cutting the ribs. I have a #3D so brisket, ribs - no issue with the extra depth. And I love the digital technology and ability to cook at higher temps.

These units are great for those that want easy, can’t have live fire or are limited in the space they have available for a smoker.

Between the 3D and the Weber Kettle, I have flexibility to smoke various ways and get great food each way.

• Jfrosty27
        Jfrosty27 commented
        Editing a comment
        The digital units weren’t available when I got mine. If doing it again today, and knowing what I know, I would get the 3D for sure and probably skip the pellet pooper.

I had an electric smoker once, nothing fancy or expensive. It was made by Old Smokey. I used it once to "smoke" a whole chicken. Turned out rubbery skinned and terrible. I never cooked on it again and wound up giving it away to a friend. Not saying there aren’t some good ones out there, but I’d never go that route again myself.

Comment

• ofelles
        ofelles commented
        Editing a comment
        Clark The horror of what you just said!!! 😵

• Clark
        Clark commented
        Editing a comment
        Panhead John You probably wouldn't like her. She is 5'9", auburn hair, green eyes, and used to be a photographic model for Victoria's Secret underwear catalogues. She's not very smart and is very gullible. She just bought a liquor store.

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        I almost fell off the couch. 😂
        My favorite part was owning a liquor store.
        Last edited by Panhead John; February 28, 2021, 04:35 PM.

I should have said that it did do a good job of cookin'. It held temps well and was within a few degrees of the set temp. It just lacked enough smoke for us.

Comment

I have had one for about 7 years now, works like a charm. But, it is not a "real" smoker, or so I am told by my BBQ pro friend. He actually calls it cheating. That said, it works and it is easy. I keep mine in the garage and crack the door when smoking, all in all not a bad way of doing things. Just be prepared for the "real deal bbq" folks to be looking down their noses at you.

Comment

• Clark
          Clark commented
          Editing a comment
          chudzikb It is for my niece who lives in a condo/townhouse in Seattle. I think the lack of a "real flame" is what she is looking for, thus electric would work good for her situation.

• chudzikb
          chudzikb commented
          Editing a comment
          Probably the perfect scenario for the cookshack setup. She won't be disappointed, it is a quality piece.

• Backroadmeats
          Backroadmeats commented
          Editing a comment
          You might get some crap from the "BBQ police" but I add a little cure to my rub and bet them that I can get a smoke ring in my electric smoker.. nothing like watching the confused look on their face!!

I have an original Cookshack M008, had it about 15 years. As they said above, it’s a quality piece of gear. Does a great job on ribs and pork butt. It’s also good for moinks and stuffed jalapeños where you don’t need a lot of heavy smoke. As some said above, it doesn’t deliver as much smoke flavor as other smokers, but it’s there. Mine is limited as to how big a brisket you can smoke since the shelves are 14 x 14”. I think the new models have 14 x 17” shelves. It is pretty idiot-proof, requires no monitoring except for the thermometer probe for the meat internal temp. I also make jerky on it, loved by all who try it.
        And....it’s manufactured in Ponca City, Okla.

Comment

I just saw this thread. I've had a Cookshack SMO25 for over 5 years. I love it. If you don't have the time or the desire to mess with a lot of wood or charcoal this is your thing. It needs very little smoking wood. Once it's seasoned even less. Just set it and forget it. Ribs, butts, briskets are a breeze. The customer service is top notch. They sent me a new control unit for free when the original fritzed out. When I feel like working, I use my WSM 18.5. When I just want the smoker to do the work I use the Cookshack.

Comment

My smokette does pretty well.. This may be at odds with other reviews, but I actually get more smoke flavor out of it than I do from pellet smokers (including my MAK), at least for relatively short cooks. I use sizable wood chunks not chips, the smokette is relatively unusual among electric smokers in that it takes wood chunks which I think makes a big difference.

It's my favorite thing to use for salmon, Mac and cheese... anything where I need an intense but short-lived blast of smoke. Also pretty good for chili since it doesn't dry out as quickly as in something else.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here