Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My buddy just got a new electric smoker...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My buddy just got a new electric smoker...

I have a buddy who wants to get into bbq and just bought his first smoker, an electric rig. I have never cooked on one, but he is asking me for tips, tricks, etc. Besides cooking temps, best wood for various meats, etc. does anyone have any advice directly related to cooking on electric? Thanks in advance.

Click image for larger version

Name:	68597743_10211110071306932_2251966269437771776_n.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	729154

I started out with the version of that smoker that has glass in the door, and it did a pretty good job overall. My favorite wood chips were the Jack Daniel's whiskey barrel chips, and some wild plum from a tree I cut down in my back yard. The plum has much more character in the electric smoker than on charcoal, for some strange reason.

Also, and I can't stress this enough, line the water bowl and drip pan with foil for easier cleanup.
    Last edited by Steve R.; August 12, 2019, 07:48 AM.

Comment

My BiL has one, like Steve R. with the glass door. It’s a pretty nice smoker. He could have done worse. Electric element, charcoal, gas, wood: all heat sources. All different, all effective.

Patience. Pay attention. Learn your cooker. Use an independent thermometer to verify temperatures. Learn the hot and cool spots inside the firebox. Start with something easy, don’t try to make pastrami on your first shot.

Comment

I had a Bradley electric for 12 years (sold it this spring to a neighbor). They are real easy to use - set and forget - just have to change the water bowl every 4 hours or so.

Comment

Send him this link: https://amazingribs.com/ratings-revi...ectric-smokers

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here