Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yes or no to water in water pan when smoking ribs on electric smoker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes or no to water in water pan when smoking ribs on electric smoker?

Hello--newbie here, with an important question: I'm making the "Famous Last Meal Ribs Recipe" for the first time in my new Masterbuilt electric smoker, and before I put my three racks of ribs in the smoker, I'd like to know if I should fill the water pan or not? This isn't addressed in the recipe and I haven't run across the answer in Meathead Goldwyn's amazing book, "The Science of Great Barbecue and Grilling." Any tips would be appreciated!

I’m taken a guess here cuz I know little to nothing of electric smokers. But, you said do you fill the water pan tells me there is a water pan, hence the answer is yes, so the meat won’t dry out. BTW, welcome, eat good & have fun!

Comment

I used the water pan in my electric, but I don’t think it is necessary. Air flow in an electric can be completely cut off. The fire is electricity and that doesn’t need air. The only airflow that is required of for the wood chips to burn, and that doesn’t need much.

But there is no harm in using a water pan. So might as well have it in there.

By the way, when I used my electric smoker (the days before the Primo XL arrived) I would fill the chip tray up THEN preheat the smoker. I left the chip filler out and the top vent wide upon. The chips would catch fire and the cooker would heat up fast. Then I would add more chips (after the original fire calmed down) and when the new chips ignited for a minute or so put the chip filler back in, disk down the top vent, and add the food.

This avoids exposing food to the thick white smoke.

Comment

Given electric is a dryer heat I'd say yes to the water pan.
        I've done with and without a water pan, there was no noticeable difference to me anyway but I'm using charcoal.
        The great thing about smoking is experimenting, try it both ways and see what you get.

Comment

I always used water in my Bradley.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit. I think electrics produce a dryer heat, so my vote is yes.

Comment

I think you want the water pan to increase the moisture in the cook box and also to keep the hockey pucks from going full on flame on.

Comment

Line water pan with foil if meat can drip into / on to help keep your new cooker clean.

Comment

In my lectric cooker (Brinkmann) I've always used th water pan...

I jus gotta mention that puttin ~boilin hot water in th pan greatly decreases BTUs used to heat th water up, therefore greatly reducin cook time of yer protein...

Smoke On!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                    Mr. Bones commented
                    Editing a comment
                    BTW: Howdy from Kansas Territory, an Welcome to Th Pit!
                    Tis forward I'm lookin, to some o yer cookin!
                    Lakeville Smoker

I agree with using the water pan, and the good suggestion to foil it if exposed to meet drippings.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here