Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about the results from electric smokers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about the results from electric smokers

At https://amazingribs.com/ratings-revi...fuel-is-right/ Meathead says:

"You can use sawdust and wood chips with some electric grills, and get a nice smoke flavor, but it is different from other smoke flavors because the wood smolders at a low temp. Electric smokers can make smoke from wood, but the burn temp is so low that the flavor is very different than gas or charcoal smokers, and in my mind, inferior for most foods. ... I recommend electric grills and smokers only for people in buildings where gas and charcoal are not allowed."

So here's my question. I have a Masterbuilt electric smoker. I love it because my Auber PID provides super-accurate "set it and forget it" convenience.

I've added the "Mailbox Mod" to provide the smoke, which comes from pellets in an "Amazen" pellet smoker tray. So the pellets are properly burning, as opposed to wood in the smoker being coerced to make smoke by the heating element.

So does the Mailbox mod take the electric setup back into the results category presumed from other smokers?​
    Attached Files

Well I don’t know about how to grade the results but it’s sure a creative modification. I have never seen that before. Hey, if it works, it works! Smoke on Pitmaster!

Comment

• KillerNoms
      KillerNoms commented
      Editing a comment
      It IS clever, and I wish I could take credit for it. I don't know who invented it, but it's been widely known among Masterbuilt electric smoker owners for years. Just google "masterbuilt mailbox mod" and you'll find a proper wad of details, videos and such.

Who would have thought... a mailbox!

Comment

If you're happy with the results then the smoke is good enough. The pellet tray is still a very small, smoldering fire. You might get results similar to some pellet smokers but the fire in a pellet smoker is still being goosed by a fan to keep a burn versus smolder.

I think your ingenuity is great. I don't think having galvanized steel in the heat path to your food is a good idea.

Comment

I think you now have a pellet smoker not an electric and you should get better tasting results.

Comment

Originally posted by jerrybell View Post
          ... I don't think having galvanized steel in the heat path to your food is a good idea.
          Thanks. Just curious why - because it cools the smoke?

I view that as an advantage when I need cool smoke, and no disadvantage when I don't need cool smoke because the heat in the chamber is precisely controlled via the Auber. But I'm happy to be corrected if I'm missing something.

Steve Jones

Comment

I do not have anything like your smoker, but that is one of the coolest mods I’ve ever seen! Lighting a fire in my mailbox to burn the kind of junk mail I get, especially ones related to the second Tuesday in November, just has a certain, wonderful appeal. Not that such would add any good flavor to smoking….

Comment

• Steve R.
              Steve R. commented
              Editing a comment
              Ha! A free, endless supply of fuel.

Great mod! Love it!

Comment

Galvanized steel is not regarded as safe for cooking:

https://www.bucket-outlet.com/Is-Gal...r%20containers.

As I understand it, it's a problem when exposed to a certain level of heat. The way you are using yours might not be a concern, as it probably doesn't get that hot. Not sure myself though.

Comment

Originally posted by jerrybell View Post
                I don't think having galvanized steel in the heat path to your food is a good idea.
                Galvanized scares some people since galvaized steel contains zinc. According to Prof. Blonder, “zinc is both an essential mineral (this means your body needs it) but, at high doses, a neurotoxin. The US recommended daily allowance is around 10 mg/day. People ingest 100 mg a day as a supplement without apparent damage. The vapor pressure of zinc rises almost exponentially with temperature, but at 450°F it is pretty low and you are unlikely to inhale or consume enough zinc-laden smoke or food to exceed the 100 mg level.”

Comment

Originally posted by Murdy View Post
                  ...As I understand it, it's a problem when exposed to a certain level of heat. The way you are using yours might not be a concern, as it probably doesn't get that hot. Not sure myself though.
                  Hmmm... googling around it looks like somewhere around 370°F - 392°F is the magic number.

I keep a probe just outside where the smoke enters the cabinet and it's usually around 150-175. Never higher unless it decides to flame instead of smolder - which it can if you let too much air in. That happened to mine a couple of times but I have that probe produce an alarm if it gets above 190, so I always corrected it before it got real hot ... and I've now got the air ingress tuned so it doesn't happen.

Still, who knows how hot the bit right under the burning spot gets. The "maze" has a little bit of infrastructure to hold it up off the suface, but I think I'll find a way to raise it up about an inch above the mailbox floor just in case.​

Comment

KillerNoms My concern was with the food safety aspect of galvanized. As stated by Doc Blonder, its unlikely to be harmful. Smoke on.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here