Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lost power while smoking Boston butt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lost power while smoking Boston butt

Hi all. Sorry if this is covered elsewhere but I'm on my phone and didn't have time to search through threads.

My pops has a Camp Chef DLX and was smoking a Boston butt I bought for him since around 730am. So it got to around 90 internal then the power went out. He immediately wrapped it in foil and a towel and set it in the oven. Power should be back on soon hopefully as it is a recurring issue there with a transformer that keeps blowing it's fuse. The ETA is noon. Power went out at 10am.

Assuming it's up by then (although it very well may be sooner as they always estimate on the high side) is it safe to throw it back on and cook to completion?

Thanks!

I would plop it back in the cooker when the power comes back on, once the IT gets up to 160 all the little nasties are killed off. 2 or 3 hours resting shouldn't do any harm to it. This is my opinion, others may vary.

Comment

I tend to think with Cap above. If it doesn't last more than a couple hours and he's planning on taking it to 190 plus, I'd probably continue along myself. If it was something like a loin that I didn't plan to take up close to 200, I'd be more nervous about resuming the cook.

As a side note, if power issues are common where your dad is at, most pellet grills can run pretty well on a 12 volt battery with an inverter. Once ignition is complete, power requirements drop way off. If this is a rare event, probably not worth acquiring and inverter and battery.

Comment

Yes, continue on undaunted!

Comment

Assuming it'as 2-3 hours, cook on. If it's 3 hours and not fixed and no ETA? I'd refrigerate and finish another time. Of course, since power's out... hmm. Maybe ice in a chest to cool it down rapidly.

I assume he has no charcoal grill etc around?
          Last edited by rickgregory; April 2, 2021, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Power lost? No problem
            PBC

Comment

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              Couldn’t help yerself couldya? Best it’s you & not me. I would have been windier.

Yep! Oven until powers on, then back in the pit!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here