Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boy Scout fundraising idea.... "fun" bbq competition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boy Scout fundraising idea.... "fun" bbq competition

Our District is always looking for new ideas to raise some moolah, have fun and involve new people. If you assume that we can get some adequate volunteer judges, only give trophies instead of checks--- can BBQ competitions (without alcohol--hey it is Scouts and families) make much money? Any past experiences to learn from?

Full Disclosure: I have 0 experience with competitions, but I have a knack for business.

I bet you could make it work, but a lot would depend on ability to keep the cost of trophies, advertising, and renting the space down.
    Thoughts:
    Awards - MS Word might have nice award templates + inexpensive framing from Walmart or such
    Advertising - I'm sure butchers/grill stores, grocery stores, Starbucks, HomeDepot, etc, would let you hang flyers
    Space - one of the scout parents have a large lot?

The competition would be BYOG and BYOM (Bring Your Own Grill/Meat). Then charge a fee to participate. At that point, its about balancing participation with the fee to exceed costs of trophies/space/advertising. You could allow the pubic to come sample the foods (aside from competition submission) and put up a "donation jar."

You could even assign each competitor a scout to provide assistance/support and maybe learn some ins and outs of BBQ, then after the competition facilitate a conversation about the things they learned.

If I wasn't on a grad student budget, I could see myself paying a $50-$100 for an entry fee that went to support a good cause.

I'm sure I'm over looking some things, as I am only 1/2 way through my first cup of joe.

Comment

Well--- in Houston we have plenty of places to do it. I think we want trophies but they are cheaper than you might guess. I was hoping to get someone to sponsor all the trophies and maybe all the expenses! heck, get plenty of sponsors. Then also maybe charge people who want to come and eat?? probably go for 200$ a team and have 1/2/3 place trophies for 3 or 4 categories? Advertising would go out using our usual Scout network which is pretty strong...So I am confident of making money but I don't know how much. I would want something that would be so fun that everyone wants to come again next year so I am hoping we get some local dance groups or karate groups or whatever to perform? that drags in parents. Sell sodas?

Comment

I would look for sponsors, can have signs for sponsors. Entry fee and selling tickets could go to the fund. Also if you get someone to donate or sell you meat at a nice discount, you could bump the entry fee and include the meat as an additional profit. Adding entertainment, maybe a local act or two can add to the attraction of people buying tickets. Could have it themed like something we used to have in MN called Ribfest.

Comment

Our Troop works at a stadium to raise funds. It is a long day in the concession stand and I am in the 95 degree kitchen pumping out the food. But I do have the walk in cooler to escape to when I get really hot. We make about $1000 a game. Some of that goes to our scout accounts, and some goes to the Troop. The boys are headed to Sea Base this summer and that is $1000 each.
          I like your idea of a BBQ competition better

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here