Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Judged my 4th KCBS Contest Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Judged my 4th KCBS Contest Today

Today, I judged a Backyard event in Alabama. It was my 4th judging event. And it was, by far, the worst food I've ever judged anywhere.

The chicken entries were disappointing. One looked appalling, tasted appalling, and was like eating cardboard. I mean, it was terrible. How could someone submit an ugly, dry, tasteless piece of meat? That entry was embarrassing even for a child competitor. And yet a team of adults submitted it.

And I got a sample of ribs that I was afraid to swallow. It was underdone, and the membrane was sickeningly present. And it was like eating uncooked fish.

But I still enjoyed being there. Everyone was nice, and some of the BBQ was very good.

I'm looking forward to my next event, next week, in Florence, AL. I've heard it annually draws top-notch cooks, even in the Backyard category.

Congratulations on your 4th event. I'm always impressed by those willing to submit to judging any sort of contest, just because you have to figure out a way to tactfully tell someone they didn't quite measure up. Good Luck at the next event and keep posting!

Comment

I submitted some (voluntary) comment cards, to hopefully help the cooks know why I gave certain scores. I've heard that the cooks really appreciate comment cards, whether positive or negative.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here