Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Competition Chicken Injection/Marinade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Competition Chicken Injection/Marinade

Do y’all prefer to inject comp half chicken or marinate?

if injecting, any homemade recipes you would be willing to share? I’ve also read that marinating in Italian dressing works just as good

Haven't injected or done any comp stuff, but this marinade it great:

When I moved to Houston in 1975, I found myself looking for a place to live in Seabrook, a coastal community along Galveston Bay that’s part of the booming

Comment

I inject chicken. with butcher BBQ Bird Booster, original flavor. There are others just as good. I did this in comp. as well as at home. I'm not a fan of Italian dressing. just my taste, you may like it. next time try a 50/50 BBQ vs Dressing. Just want my chicken to taste like chicken. Not salad. The propose of injecting is to provide moisture and flavors'. When ya get to the end of your cook, at desired internal temp (160) meat starts to dry out. white meat especially, I normally cook the dark meat about 10 to 15 minutes longer than white, as white get's done quicker.
      There is never a bad day to do a test cook.................

Comment

randy56 I agree, I’ve used the Italian dressing brine and really didn’t notice any real help with flavor or moisture. I cook a lot of chicken thighs and inject them with a combination of chicken broth, chicken base and a little of the seasoning I’m using. I personally think letting them set for a couple hours after you inject helps too.

Comment

Comp Cooking is so different compared to cooking for good eats, I'm not sure a good eats response is of any worth. I've found that brining is of value and most marinating isn't, and also like others don't like Italian salad dressing marinating. I do injections of stock versus broth when I want to bring out more of the taste of the meat. I inject creole butter when I want to establish a perceptively different taste baseline that complements a spicy rub. If I want to make a smoking statement - say mesquite rub and chunks - I inject broth.

Comment

I have competed with half-chicken in brine only, brine and injection, and injection only. With your location and asking about half chicken, I am guessing you are competing in IBCA comps. BCA in LA is similar. I found that I score best with injection only. I use commercial injections that are a fine powder and use chicken broth instead of water to mix them up. Do it right and you can fit 16oz of fluid in a 2 pound half chicken. Grilled Chicken tends to score better than smoked chicken here, so don't be afraid to go hot and fast.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here