Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sauce or no sauce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sauce or no sauce

Do y’all use sauce and set it on the last 15-30 minutes, or do you pull out of the wrap and use as is

Ive always used sauce, I think way too much, but wanted to get some different Prospectives

Thanks for the help, I’m not going to go with the AP rub. I’ll use Plowboys as my main rub and use a more neutral, flavorable rub as a base.

Comment

I like to sauce it and caramelize the sauce.

Comment

I usually don't sauce much, however once in awhile it's nice for a change.

Comment

I assume yer talkin Wibs. Sauce is always on the side fer those who like to indulge. Meself, just the meat, yup, meat with rub. Feel that sauce hides the taste or gives a sugar fix, IMHO.

Comment

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            Ditto that.

K.

• cgrover60
            cgrover60 commented
            Editing a comment
            Same here.

• ofelles
            ofelles commented
            Editing a comment
            me too....what the heck I'm a joiner. No really just a little spritzing during then sauce of the side.

I like to sauce ribs.

Comment

I little to add a little honey at the end vs. sauce -- I find it complements and does not compete with the very generously apportioned rub.

Comment

You posted this in the Competitive Cooking sub-channel. Are you asking this question in that context, or are you asking in general? While you didn't specify the protein, I'm going to assume ribs so this should likely be moved to the Pork channel.

Comment

• ofelles
                ofelles commented
                Editing a comment
                Yea, didn't notice the comp. I think sauce is a must.

• FireMan
                FireMan commented
                Editing a comment
                What I wonder is how did we get all "military" in this discussion, what with talkin about submarines & generals & stuff?

• TripleB
                TripleB commented
                Editing a comment
                I agree with pkadare on what sub-channel this is suppose to be on. If it is to be on competitive cooking, then yes to saucing if your flavor profile supports it. Some teams turn in dry ribs, but not very often. But if you sauce, sauce lightly. Judges want to taste the pork, not the sauce. Too much sauce (which I have had multiple times) and your score on taste will be marked down.

I like dipping sauce with "Naked" ribs. Lightly sauced ribs I enjoy also. It really depends on my mood at the time. I prefer not over season nor over sauce bones.

Comment

• FireMan
                FireMan commented
                Editing a comment
                So what yer sayin is, it depends on if’n yer in the mood fer Luv.

• bbqLuv
                bbqLuv commented
                Editing a comment
                BBQLUV, you got it

I meant for competition ribs- sauce or no sauce ?

Comment

• TripleB
                TripleB commented
                Editing a comment
                For KCBS comps that I've judged (CA, AZ, WA) 100% of rib turns are spares (St. Louis Cut). They don't have to be. They can be loin ribs, but it just seems everybody stays with spares. 97% are sauced. Don't have to be, but they are. Also, for the last 2 years the rib turn ins are basically Memphis style. Sweet with some spiciness. Too bad. Years ago there was more diversity in styles.

I think you have to sauce for competition. The judges expect it

Comment

• TripleB
                TripleB commented
                Editing a comment
                Matters where you are competing. Under KCBS the ribs can be either wet or dry. No rule for "having to sauce".

• Dewesq55
                Dewesq55 commented
                Editing a comment
                TripleB - Whether you "have to" or not, if the judges expect sauce and you submit dry ribs you are asking for a low score, no? Mind you, I don't compete, but this seems like common sense. It's like Harry Soo says: "They're not supposed to judge on a smoke ring, but if I turn in a meat without a smoke ring, I know I'm not winning."

• TripleB
                TripleB commented
                Editing a comment
                Dewesq55 - I've judged many events and KCBS really tries to teach their judges to judge by KCBS standards. They even go over such things as "smoke rings", "sauce", "garnish" and "burnt ends" with the judges before each event. I've taken Harry Soo's BBQ class and he's a bit liberal with his comments. Smoke rings, as you know, can be chemically produced. So overall, judges know not to expect sauce or smoke rings. In fact, a dry rib gets extra attention because it's not sauced.

Yes to sauce, but very little. Chicken for example. You want to taste the chicken, the smoke, the rub, so I thin down the BBq sauce about 50% with apple juice. Dunk the chicken in a deep pan instead of painting it on. (smears rub off) Set the glaze for 10 to 15 min. Nice thin layer,
              Ribs, yes I do not thin it but, try an give then a thin layer, never double coat. When you take a bite, like chicken, you want the juicy pork, Smokey flavor, the rub, sauce layered and set nicely.
              Butts, my mouth is watering just thinking about all this, and it's 6:30 am, after the pork is pulled in big bowl, using only a large spoon full, or about a shot glass full. on the whole bowl full I take my hands with gloves on and massage the sauce all through out the pile of savory pork.
              Brisket- easy on the sauce very light. More is not better.
              I'm insulted when (people - family) ask for more sauce, I tell them to pick up the bottle and drink it, or I will pour you a glass full.
              End of rant.

Comment

• bbqLuv
                bbqLuv commented
                Editing a comment
                Drink sauce, I wonder what proof is it?
                That's like telling Chef Ramsay, "Taste great, pass the Catchup, please."

• randy56
                randy56 commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes sir, I do not want to hear pass the BBQ sauce.

• Dewesq55
                Dewesq55 commented
                Editing a comment
                I sauce my BBQ because that's how I like it. But I don't serve extra sauce on the side. For one thing, sauce straight from the bottle (even if homemade) doesn't taste the same as after it has been caramelized on the meat. The exception here is pulled pork. With pulled pork, I do serve additional sauce on the side because that sauce isn't meant to be caramelized. I usually like a little more than the base amount I mix into the meat.

I agree with ScottyC13 for competition - go as light as you can but thick enough, hot enough and long enough to caramelize it. Doing that right moves you up in the standings..

Comment

I will sauce them if people like a sauced rib, but I usually have it on the side. Once you add sauce you can't take it away.

If I am adding sauce, I will put it on in the last 15 mins or so.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here