Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Killer Hogs Techniques

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Killer Hogs Techniques

This will be my first competition that I will not use my own rub. Has anyone ever competed with killer hogs, and if so did you use the pre rub?

what are some other good competition rubs that you have had luck with- I thought 3 little pigs cherry looked interesting

I'm not sure what you mean by the pre-rub, but if you are talking about his The AP Rub, be careful of the salt content when adding on The BBQ Rub later.

Comment

• mrteddyprincess
      mrteddyprincess commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree. Good advice. AP Killer Hogs is good but heavy on the salt.

Yes the AP rub, I heard it was really strong

Comment

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      I like the flavor a lot and use to on most everything these days. I love it as a dry brine on steaks, for instance, but both rubs have a lot of salt so be careful.

If you watch some of Malcom's really early videos (2013-2014), you can find the rough formula for his AP seasoning. It is a 4:2:1 mix of salt, granulated garlic, and black pepper. I believe the commercial version is still close to that ratio, but has a small amount of some herbs, perhaps parsley, thrown in.

I've never competed with it by any means, but I do like it and order it from him (especially as I just can't seem to find granulated garlic around here). I go easy with it. Light snowshower, with the can held up high....not trying to cake the meat with it.
    Last edited by Michael_in_TX; September 20, 2020, 06:57 PM.

Comment

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      You are correct. I make my own "AP" rub using that formula. I have not bought the commercial version. Same for "The BBQ Rub" and "The BBQ Sauce," which recipes Malcom also has put on the internet in the past. I am not unwilling to support Malcom, I just like making my own rubs and sauces.

• learning pellets
      learning pellets commented
      Editing a comment
      Interesting, is 4:2:1 based on weight or volume?

• Michael_in_TX
      Michael_in_TX commented
      Editing a comment
      I do it based on volume.

I've used their AP rub and their "The BBQ Rub" and enjoy both. Anymore, my go to is rubbing with "Eat" BBQ rub and MMD both. Great results.

Comment

Harry Soo markets rubs he has used to won championships.

Comment

Why aren’t you using your own rub? What flavor profile are you trying to obtain?
        Last edited by TripleB; September 20, 2020, 09:57 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here