Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

#theRibList Wins local contest - Super Fun!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

#theRibList Wins local contest - Super Fun!

Well, our local Pirate Festival, www.ContrabandDays.com, which my dad help start 50+ years ago to promote hiss boat racing, holds a BBQ Contest. I entered last year, my first such effort. It's a 1 dayer, 7 am start, turnin chicken at noon, ribs at 1, boston butt at 2. I have 3 friends who are into the BBQ with me and they helped a ton.

We did a mixture of Simon & Garfunkel along with a rum from the West Coast Offence, the Dessert Dust or something like that, from Simply Marvelous. Cooked it on the Stick-Burner, chicken halves, and injected with Bird Booster from Butcher BBQ. It was good. And we got 2nd place!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150509_120912.jpg
Views:	790
Size:	162.1 KB
ID:	82120

On Ribs, we did a variant on Memphis Dust, with the Ancho and Chilpoltle Chili additive, and cooked them on the WSM's for 5.5 hours with Blue Bag Kingsford and Apple Chunks. My nephew made the rub, and his blending was a little less than mine, and the brown sugar was clumpy, and the rub did not stick as well as I prefer. We made some test ribs with some of the Simply Marvelous Rubs for us to try as well.

We glazed them at the end with Meathead s KC Style sauce, with a some tweeks that James likes. I wasn't used to cutting ribs with a sauce. I flip them meat side down to cut, and when I turned back over, they had rubless patches...which I hate! I was not happy with the ribs, they were not as spot on as I cook in the driveway almost every weekend. And I never glaze at home, but felt like it would help at the contest. I MEANT to practice glazing, but didn't. So it was disappointing for me to turn in my signature meat in a less than standard fashion.

Oh, what do I know, we took 1st Place in Ribs!

Name:	IMG_1880.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	208.8 KB
ID:	82118

The Pulled Pork we injected with Apple Juice, because I thought I must have not ordered the Butcher pork injection...which I promptly found right after we finished the injection. We put the slightly modified memphis dust on the butt's. I cut the butt's in half to get them done in the short time frame. Heavy Rub. WSM, 275 ish, KBB and Apple Chunks, 6 hour cook. We wrapped them for 45 minutes or so at the end.

They were pretty. I cut slices from the Money Muscle, and they were tasty! I love MD Rub! We though this was our best meat. Which of course means we did not get a call on it, lol.

Name:	10444598_10153392150662625_6956307836639680436_n.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	82123

There was no Grand Champion calculation, but based on the calls, we were the top team in the small field. It was great!

We had all 3 cookers on my trailer, and a shade device set up, and tables, much more organized than my 2 prior competitions. Oh, and, of course, I was concerned about sunburn on my feet as I was in that tent...but I did not put any sunscreen on my face/neck, so I have a nice racing stripe from my apron on my neck, and a red face to go with it!

Name:	IMG_1897.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	82124

Name:	IMG_1891.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	223.9 KB
ID:	82125
    #SuperFun
    Attached Files

Awesome!!!!!

Comment

Congrats ! Should of had a few lines in that water behind you while waiting !

Comment

U DA MAN! Paul! Awesome bro! AWESOME!

Comment

Congrats, Awesome job! Looks like all that practice is working for you.

Comment

Awesome, and looks like you had a blast doing it.

Comment

Thanks, guys! I did have a blast. Now, I'm up at 11 pm, after getting up at 5 am, and cooking Pulled Pork for 100 for my Awesome daughter's graduation party tomorrow.

Decision of the night: I'm switching to disposable steam pans rather than cleaning more of the hotel pans of that same size... #tired

Comment

PaulstheRibList how many butts are cooking for 100 people?

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
                  PaulstheRibList commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Eight. That's how many will fit easily on my 2 WSM's. Sound right to you?

• DWCowles
                  DWCowles commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I was planning on doing six. But if you don't mind let me know have much pulled pork you have left over after the party. I have a church picnic of 100-125 to do Memorial Day weekend.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Comment

Well cooked meat and necks! Congrats!

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
                    Editing a comment
                    Meathead, I gave you props during conversations all day! #MeatheadTaughtMeToBBQ

Awesome PaulstheRibList! Congrats. Love seeing that stickburner in the photo

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
                    Editing a comment
                    The Stickburner is now in EVERY Photo, Huskee! #CookMeatWithFireFromWood

Hearty congrats, PaulstheRibList! It looks like it was a fun day, and that #1 Ribs rank (and #1 overall) must have felt so sweet.

Those Butcher injections are nice--I use the Prime on my brisket. I think I'll give the ones for chicken and pork a try, since you use them (when you can locate them, that is ) Thanks for the tips.

Kathryn

Comment

Woo Hoo!!! Great job!

Comment

Way to go Paul!

Comment

That right there is FANTASTIC!! Please don't tell DWCowles that you cooked on the stick burner! LOL

Comment

• Ernest
                          Ernest commented
                          Editing a comment
                          DWCowles Very much so. I did beef short ribs PBC cook with preburnt oak wood and I must say the flavor difference is huge. But it was a pain to add the fuel during the cook.

• DWCowles
                          DWCowles commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Ernest it wouldn't be a pain if you had a stickburner😊

• Ernest
                          Ernest commented
                          Editing a comment
                          DWCowles you make a very good point.

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here