Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chicken hindquarters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chicken hindquarters

Doing a local competition this year that is using chicken hindquarters. I've cooked these a lot over the years- cheap and good- but never for any sort of a competition. I'm leaning toward following APL's competition thigh recipe with extended times and seeing how it goes. Thoughts?
    Thanks

Are you cooking the whole quarter, or can you separate the two?

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      how long do you have to prep and cook?

• Greatplainsbrewer
      Greatplainsbrewer commented
      Editing a comment
      Pick them up the night before. Turn in will be around 4 pm.

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Greatplainsbrewer dry brine them uncovered as long as possible. Add a LIGHT coat of Mayo as a binder and sprinkle with MMD. Smoke over pecan until about 160, then a light coat of BBQ sauce. Take to about 165-170, and hit with a little Spicy honey, and let the carryover cooking even out the brush marks. Garnish with a bed of parsley in your box.

I'd use Wagyu chicken.

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      Think I'm going to wagyu by the tail.

This is the time to do some testing at home. The thigh is the thickest part of the leg quarter. You need to test how the meat will handle on your grill. You also need to plan your presenting. Have you been to this contest and seen how they do it. Contestant presentation is 25-33 percent of the grading.

Comment

• Nate
      Nate commented
      Editing a comment
      +1 on practice

Kind of what I was thinking- the most difficult thing is the different cooking rates of legs and thighs. At least on the practice side this won't break the bank.

I usually cook chicken parts in the 325-350 range, butter braised in foiled pans. We have a motley crew of cookers- kettles, gas smokers, pellets, WSM, and a KBQ. I usually experiment on the pellet cooker because of the temperature control.

Comment

Chicken hindquarters. Where does this nomenclature come from?

Comment

To me, the complication is that being connected, you can't debone the thigh, remove the skin and scrape of the fat from it (bite through skin is easier to get that way), and brine the skinless thigh. Being skin on, I would probably dry brine, add a layer or rub, and then take to about 160° then add a thin layer of sauce, and back in to tack it up at about 170° I would hit it with some honey. All cooking would be done at 325° with pecan. Cook a whole flock of them so you can pick the best looking ones. Present your box with a bed of parsley, then chicken in the middle, surrounded by more parsley. I like to use a hot honey as the finisher. Full disclaimer: every event I have ever entered, my bird has scored lower than my brisket, ribs, and pork box. Not my strongest category.

Comment

Are you allowed to 'selectively' wrapped parts of the hindquarters? If so a little practice at home could help develop a gameplay.

Comment

• Greatplainsbrewer
          Greatplainsbrewer commented
          Editing a comment
          What do you mean, ‘selectively wrap?’

• Razor
          Razor commented
          Editing a comment
          I was thinking like wrapping the thicker parts similar to avoiding stalls for pulled pork. Or putting some down on the grates to act as a heat shield for the thinner parts, just to help balance things out.

Nothing I would ever do on a normal cook, but for a competition I might experiment with it at home to see if it works.

First test underway. Dry brined last night. Skin down in pan with butter, MSG, salt and water. Tightly foiled and on at 300

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here