Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meat up / meat down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meat up / meat down

For so many years when its time to wrap up the ribs it was always meat down to help cook and tenderize. With the invention of the internet and youtube video there are so many ways and opinions on how to cook ribs. My question is and please explain your answer why to warp meat down or why to warp meat up. I'm trying to up my game in my area amateur cook-offs in the rib category. I have been in the top 10 a few times but now looking to be in the top 5 a few time.

Honestly, I don’t think it matters.

DISCLAIMER: I use a ceramic cooker with exceptionally even temperatures.

Comment

I've never tried meat down.

DISCLAIMER- I've never competed.

SmokeyGator my "dis" beats your "dis"

Comment

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hahaha. I was going to say "I have never wrapped meat side up but I don't compete".

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        I don’t compete or wrap or warp meat. So where does that put me?

I've never competed with ribs, but I think my ribs are great. I even temp thru the whole process until I faux Cambro. I don't wrap until then - I indirect as seen here with a STL cut. I do a last radiated sear for serving.

Or am I missing the question?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Piggy View 2.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	584548

Comment

When I used to wrap it was always meat up bone down. I wnated to maintain as much of the bark layer as I could, instead of having my only bark be sitting in the juices. But I don't compete either, this was just my thought process when I did wrap.

Comment

+1 on what Huskee said...

My thought (although maybe wrong) has been that if you add moisture to the pack in addition to the natural juices you would be putting the rub and meat into a pool of liquid which could degrade the quality of your bark and wash the rub off.

Comment

I smoked 2 racks of St Louis yesterday. Following Arron Franklins advice, I wrapped meat side down for 2 hours. They were moist and delicious, but they were very close to falling off the bone. I don’t compete either, but I don’t think they would have done well if judged. I will probably try a shorter wrap next time. If that doesn’t work out, I’ll just go back to not wrapping.

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              I've just never had a motivation to wrap. But I guess it's a matter of personal taste.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here