Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First time at competitive cooking.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time at competitive cooking.

Hi All. This weekend was my first time competing in any type of food related competition. It was a chili cook off; however, I made sure to work smoked chuck roast and homemade bacon into my chili.

I made several test batches prior and felt pretty good about the product I was going to be competing with. I’m happy to share I came in 5th out of 11 teams. There were 6 votes between 5th place and 1st, so it was a pretty tight race. All in all, it was a really great experience and a good gateway into the competition world. My goal next summer is to try my hand at some backyard style events.

Click image for larger version

Name:	C2419011-BB07-4BF4-9E19-EF01BB8422C3.jpeg
Views:	158
Size:	183.7 KB
ID:	572987

Name:	7F659E60-A43A-4905-9E21-2E870D2F2FF1.jpeg
Views:	143
Size:	183.7 KB
ID:	572985

Name:	EA635D10-5B59-4DC7-B1C2-6DDE37AD7B2C.jpeg
Views:	137
Size:	214.7 KB
ID:	572988 ​​​​​​​
    Attached Files

Congrats! What was the temps? People all layered up!

Comment

• DoubleUpOrQuit
      DoubleUpOrQuit commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! The high was 41 and it was windy.

Cool! Do you think the smoked chuck (although it would very likely get my vote) was just too different from the standard chili stereotype, causing you to not get higher than 5th?

Comment

• DoubleUpOrQuit
      DoubleUpOrQuit commented
      Editing a comment
      I don’t think so Huskee. People seemed to really like the chunks of chuck as well as the bacon. The comment I heard most often was about the sweetness of the chili. I used brown sugar and some cinnamon in it. I’m thinking I needed to have a little more heat to help offset.

ill take a bowl of that!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here