Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

amature BBQ competition - first time competing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

amature BBQ competition - first time competing

I am going to enter a BBQ competition hosted by a BBQ supply store near my home. The cook will be chicken and ribs. No rules or guides have been posted yet. I have been smoking meat for more than eight years now, but I have never competed. Any tips?

Stick with you plan, stay out of your head and have fun! I can't wait to here about the event!

Comment

Sounds like fun!

Comment

Imagine all the judges are naked! Seriously though, maybe first time out just imagine your cooking for friends, enjoy!

Comment

These small unsanctioned events can be a blast! Once you have the rules and details that will give you a little more guidance on what you may or may not need to do... ie.. garnish... etc...

Big thing is just go and do your thing that you are used to doing, have some fun, and make some new BBQ friends!

Only downside to a comp like that in my opinion is that often times the judges aren't certified... so you may end up with one judge that loves fall off the bone ribs and Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce and you may have another that likes a more traditional competition type rib...

Comment

Have Fun!

Comment

cook what you would for your fam and friends. ameature contests are usually very local flavors. If your neighbors and coworkers like it, chances are the judges will too (they might end up being one)

Comment

I agree with what everyone else said, I might add, do a practice cook at home, get your timing down for turn in times. Look at some utube on the box/presentation. In KCBS it is a big part of the score. Good luck.

Comment

• MeatMonster
                  MeatMonster commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That's a good idea about the test cook, understand the rules, do a test cook if you are super keen, cook what you know and is local!

Thanks for the tips. I ran a test on Saturday to get an idea of times and temps for cooking ribs and chicken. Good thing it was a test run, the chicken got away from me and was very over done. Need some more practice with the times. Wife and kids are excited for the practice sessions.

Comment

• Steve R.
                  Steve R. commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Funny how it can quickly get out of hand when you start putting time pressure on yourself. My teammate and I have done some trial runs, and that first one was an eye-opener. It turned out fine, but it becomes more like an assembly line and sticking to a strict schedule. It's nothing like deciding on the spur of the moment to have dinner ready at 7 instead of 6 and everybody is fine with that.

At the time you are setting your glaze (BBQ sauce) at the end, spritz with apple juice, it makes it shinny, better presentation. Did a test cook Sunday 6 slabs of Baby backs, yum!

Comment

packerfannate Is it the one in Lehi?
                  Last edited by Hayduke; April 16, 2018, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Hayduke - yes

Comment

Best o' luck to you! This page will give you some great tips & ideas if you haven't been there already: https://amazingribs.com/bbq-and-grilling-competitions

Comment

Here are the rules for the competition. I don't believe this is complete. Does anyone know what GC and RGC listed below might be?

We will have 3 turn in times.
                        --1:00 PM Chicken (BACKYARD ONLY)
                        --1:30 PM Ribs (BACKYARD ONLY)
                        -- 2:00 PM Steak / Ribeye (OPEN TO ANYONE - JUST ADDED)

— Space will be limited for this event. We will be taking the first 25 teams to sign up and pay the entree fee for this event.

Backyard Teams:
                        Teams will need to provide their own Chicken and Ribs. The $50 entree fee gets the back yard teams an entree to all 3 categories. (It is up to the back yard team, if they want to participate in the Steak category.)

The Steak competition Only:
                        The Steak portion to the bbq competition is OPEN TO ANYONE. The team must provided their own Ribeye Steak and there will be a $25.00 Entree Fee. Turn in boxes will be provided. Teams only cooking the steak competition will have a 10x10 spot which should be enough space for your grill, table and 10x10 pop up tent.

We will have a GC and RGC for backyard teams and
                        a GC and RGC for the Steak competition.

Comment

• Huskee
                          Huskee commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Grand Champion and Reserve Grand Champion

Rules will be KCBS

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here