Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible 1st competition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible 1st competition

My local park district will be having an amateur rib competition in August and I am interested in entering. I have never done a competition but want to get my feet wet. They will I've us a 10x10 workspace and equal quality meat portions. I have a tweaked MMD rub and sauce that has been well received so far. What advice can you all give me to be prepared for this competition? Any help woukd be greatly appreciated.

Cool! What cooker are you planning to use?

Comment

No experience, but I'll wish you good luck!

Comment

Mbmorgan I was thinking of using my PBC since I will have limited space or even a Weber kettle with SNS.

Comment

You'll kill it with the PBC!

Comment

Done a number of little backyard competitions like you are talking about using my PBC.

A lot lot of what you can and will do may be dictated by the rules. Something to consider if you are going to use PBC:

How many ribs do you need to turn in along with... How many Racks they are giving you to work with?

Keep in mind that if you hang your ribs that the PBC tends to get the bottom few a little crispy... Also you will have a hole or two from the hooks which could lower the # of ribs per slab that are viable for turn in.

Have as much prep work done as possible ahead of time, make more rub than you think you will need, do some trial runs at home using time constraints given by the rules... also when doing a trial run document each step with timing and also make a list of everything you used or touched during the process. That way you will know what to pack and take with you and you will know better when to start things.

For me these events have been fun and that is the big thing... have fun...

Comment

Improve your spelling, then cook the H out of your cook!

Comment

I did one of these last year. The things I learned
                1. Bring gloves
                2. Bucket of water with soap a 5 gallon jug to clean stuff. Cleaning supplies in general.
                3. Also get a couple of totes so that you can pack and unpack easily. Preparing anything is a big help less to lug around pack and such.
                4. Plan some way of cooking stuff as you go and plan out your timing. We had to submit brisket at noon which makes for putting it on early early AM.

On another note, I really enjoyed my experience not just because I came home with some trophies but also everyone there loves cooking and BBQ. Got to try others stuff and chat about a hobby I really enjoy plus BBQ people just seem to always be good folks.

Comment

Practice your cook and take notes. Then before the comp write a timeline. Bring containers for soapy and clean water for cleanup. Bring at least two folding tables. Sharpen your slicing knife. Dont forget some celebration beer!

Comment

As others have said, Make sure to do trial runs before competing. There are always going to be bumps in the road, so you need to be prepared to deal with them. Make sure you have two of the things that you really need to work. Thermapen, leave in thermos etc. or at least have back up batteries or power for them.
                    I also like to bring large baking pans to block wind and/or rain. The PBC can be effected by wind, so having a wind block to set up by the bottom damper can be a huge help for leveling those temps out.
                    Make sure you have a good pair of gloves. Both cotton and rubber that can slip onto one hand. This will make it much easier to handle hot food, pans and grates.
                    And don't for get to have fun! If its not fun, whats the point?

Comment

Thanks for the timely tips everyone. I agree fun should be foremost. I forgot to consider the clean/soapy water and the timing of practice cooks. I want to buy a case of ribs and get started now.

Comment

Appearance, Taste , Tenderness... Make your ribs look nice, make your ribs taste spot on, cook them to perfection. Keeping it simple so you don't get overwhelmed... That's what I learned after my 1st comp. It's a kick in the pants my friend. Enjoy the moment and good luck.

Comment

The thing about competitions is they are a different kind of fun. You will be testing your skills under a deadline. Don't take more than you need. Make a comprehensive list. This will help a lot.

Check your thermometers make sure batteries are good. Have a good prep table. Bring lots of paper towels. On this item bring more than you need. Get a spray bottle of cleaner with bleach. I use the heck out of this. Bring wipes. Bring a couple of gallons of water. I use this to rinse my hands. Have all you rubs marked in separate containers. Foil, towels, faux cambro.

If you are using the PBC you really need a pretty well planned time table. Brisket, ribs and chicken cook at a little different temperature so you have to plan for it. Chicken usually gets turned in first but takes the highest heat and fastest time. The ribs, then brisket.

Make sure you know the turn in times and make a paper with them written down so you won't have to leave it to memory.

Something challenging will happen this is what makes it a competition.

The PBC will last 8 hours but you might need more coals be ready to add more just when things get crazy.

Good luck!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here