Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using Sous Vide for holding at comp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using Sous Vide for holding at comp?

Has anyone used sous vide for holding meat for comp s, like money muscle or ribs? This is a non KCBS event just a local comp. Your thoughts, as I was just thinking of ways if needed other than faux cambro TIA!

I have thought about this. I don't really know how I feel either way. However, about a month ago, I made some pastrami.......ABC Dave style. So I smoked the brisket, and SV'd the meat for 4 hours at 195 F. It was the best thing that I have ever made. Unbelievably tender but not crumbly.
    Normally, one of my concerns with doing this in a competition would be what the SV-bag does to your bark. However, I didn't notice anything wrong when I was eating my pastrami. (That being said, I may have overlooked the condition of the bark because the flavor was over whelming.) I also didn't notice a lot of liquid in the bag after I was done SV'ing. Then again, this might be the cure holding onto that moisture.
    I defiantly think you should try this. I am very curious. But I think I would do a trial run at home.

Let us know what you end up doing.
    Last edited by Spinaker; April 20, 2017, 07:13 PM.

Comment

I have held non-sauced smoked ribs at 140 degrees during a cookout. applied sauced just before serving
      Not sure how that would work in a competitive environment.
      And it seems like SV intensifies the smoke flavor

Comment

+1 on doing a trial run. A couple of very hot towels in a zipper bag placed in a cooler may do the trick too.

Comment

Too late for a trial run its this weekend LOLwe'l let you know how it goes.,

Comment

Sous vide is illegal in KCBS. I do have a friend who SV'ed a rib eye for a steak contest then seared it off. Didn't do well...

Comment

• Powersmoke_80
              Powersmoke_80 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you Good to know!

^^^^^^^And there you have it^^^^^^^^

Comment

These where leftovers from day before, Vacuum sealed. Tossed them in a 140 degrees hot tub time machine at 7 am. And I went about running errands. At noon they came out and went into my BELLLLLLYYYYY.

Click image for larger version

Name:	OMAD ribs.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	309929

Comment

After most comps, if I have any meat left over I'll vacuum seal in serving size portions and freeze. Sous vide is perfect for reheating that frozen serving. Comes out tasting just like when it went in the bag.

Comment

• T-bone
                T-bone commented
                Editing a comment
                CandySueQ how much reheat time do you add because it's frozen?

Nice!!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here