Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Competition chicken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Competition chicken

I'll be competing in my first pro comp this June.

I've done plenty of rib and chicken cooking... so I'm not worried about my technique in that area.

My question is about saucing/glazing chicken.

In the past, I've sauced with homemade sauce... I've tried some doctored manufacted cut down with apple juice... I've tried a bit of butter in the sauce... I always seem to find my chicken does not get a nice shiny glaze like i'd like it to have. I'Ve spritzed it with apple juice before turn-in and that helps a bit.

Any suggestions?

Blues hog comp blend, that is what a lot of teams are using, warm it up, dip those babies into the blues hog and you'll get a nice glaze on them

Comment

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      You better apply for copyright protection here because I believe you just wrote great lyrics for a song - "Dip Those Babies into Blues Hog!" I remember that there are a few musicians lurking around. Heck, I'm (badly) singing it as a jingle right now.

where's CandySueQ

Comment

• CandySueQ
      CandySueQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Here! I use Blues Hog. My favorite is Smoky Mountain. I'm also a fan of Butcher BBQ sauce, but thin it out for chicken. Don't want to give those judges red around the mouth!

Thanks.. being in Canada, access to some of those sauces is difficult, but I think I can get my hands on some blues hog.

Comment

I tihnk bigpoppasmokers.com ships to canada- they sell it by the gallon!

Comment

• gaudreaur
        gaudreaur commented
        Editing a comment
        will look into that.

Shiny ingredients stay shiny. I had same issue. Started using light corn syrup instead of turbinado sugar.

Comment

For the rub, Plowboys Yardbird is very popular. It's a bit on the salty side, so don't go too heavy if you use it.
        I'll 2nd Blue Hog! Their championship blend tastes a bit generic to me (like a lot of other sauces), for something a bit more unique, CandySueQ 's recommendation of their Smokey Mountain is a great choice, and their original is good if you're looking for a very sweet profile (but it's also very thick).

Comment

Originally posted by BarBQ22 View Post
          Shiny ingredients stay shiny. I had same issue. Started using light corn syrup instead of turbinado sugar.
          I love that. Shiny stays shiny. Thanks.

Comment

Whatever you decide, just don't overdo it. When I judge chicken the first thing that usually hurts the score is tough skin, the second is overpowering sauce, or globs of sauce. Don't lose the chicken, that's what you're cooking, i say.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice I received here. In our first KCBS contest, we got 3 calls. 8th chicken, 8th pork, 8th brisket. 16th ribs.... all out of 17 teams.. Not a huge event, but happy with the results none the less.

Comment

• kmhfive
                kmhfive commented
                Editing a comment
                Congratulations!

• Powersmoke_80
                Powersmoke_80 commented
                Editing a comment
                Awesome, Congrats!

Congradulations my friend. I found honey works a little better the light corn syrup. What works well also is Ken's salad dressing. Rasberry Pecan or rasberry walnut oil. Mix 1 part dressing 1 part ketchup 1 part honey. Use it like that or mix 2 parts of that to 1 part of your BBQ sauce. They SHINE LIKE A NEW PENNY! 😀

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here