Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My First Grand Championship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My First Grand Championship

Ok, don't get too impressed, it was a local event with 7 teams entered. But most of them knew how to cook barbecue pretty well and had done local competitions before.

Meats: Brisket, Ribs, Chicken. Here's the twist: Meat Inspection in Store Wrappings @ 6:30 am...Brisket turn-in 10.5 hours later at 5 pm. So, it's Hotter & Faster Cook day!

Had to repair the trailer first. (I hadn't even removed the smokers from it since I was rear ended about a month ago.)
    Before:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8465.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	273.0 KB
ID:	164928

After:

Name:	IMG_8466.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	218.0 KB
ID:	164929

All packed up about 11:15 pm. Then up bright and early at 5 am, heading down to the Civic Center Seawall for the cookoff. I wanted to have the pits lit and hot, and all my tables and supplies ready to start trimming brisket at 6:30 sharp. On the way up, I got to enjoy this, the light from the Sun bending around the earth, illuminating Lake Charles and warming my soul up for the great fun God had in store for me today!

Name:	IMG_8469.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	164930

Here's our trailer, all parked at the Civic Center Seawall. Yep, I only brought 4 smokers to the party.

Name:	IMG_8472.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	164920

Got to trimming, and the Sun was keeping me company from the beginning. The Sun had crept over the horizon in this pic, and judging by my very nice sunburn (which the kids all commented upon at length when I arrived home), was with us throughout the day.

Name:	IMG_8473-upright.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	236.6 KB
ID:	164931

With the short cook time, I decided to separate the point and flat, and we cooked 2 briskets. I trimmed the flats pretty square, and put the large cuts and panned them, along with some of the supple fat, to make some pans for au jus creation, which, as we all know, is the very best additive to a winning brisket box.

Next, Chicken! My Barbecue Apprentice, Sam, studied up on competition chicken technique in the past couple of weeks, and he did great! Here's the finished products:

Name:	IMG_8483.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	164923

Name:	IMG_8486.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	186.8 KB
ID:	164925
    I really enjoyed the Chicken. It had 2 rubs, and a blend of 2 sauces, with some added spices on it. There was plenty of flavor on the rubs. It was cooked to done-ness well. The spec was to start with a whole chicken and include white and dark in the box. We had heavily trimmed and skin-worked thighs in the back, and wing arms and shoulders, and a partial breast sliced in the front. I liked it! (We used Simply Marvelous Cherry, and Big Poppa Smokers Desert Gold. Then glazed with Strained Blues Hog and Swamp Boys, spiked with Ancho and Chipolte from Penzeys. It was great!)

Next, Baby Back Ribs! I have not cooked them much. I've done about 50 racks of St. Louis to every Baby Back. So, my bbq teammates Sam and Colin did Baby Back Practice last week, clocking time to done, rub and glaze work, and practicing slicing from the top when the ribs are all glazed up. That practice really helped today! Here are the trimmed, oiled and rubbed racks. Heavy layer of Memphis Dust with a little tweak. About an hour in, we put on a topping of SM Cherry. In the stickburner, 250ish, burning Pear wood.

Name:	IMG_8481.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	254.8 KB
ID:	164922

Fast forward about 3.5 hours, with a glaze done about 30 minutes ago, and here they are:

Name:	IMG_8490-upright.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	286.3 KB
ID:	164933
    Meet Leo. He's the fella I rented the warehouse where #BBQFiretruck is stored. He's a family friend from before I was born. And a fun guy!

My nephew James came and helped us pick the tastier/tenderier rack for the box. It helped!

Name:	IMG_8495.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	170.8 KB
ID:	164924

The Rib Box!

Name:	IMG_8507.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	164927

Attached Files

Nice! Congrats! All on Jambo? Or different cookers for different meats?

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
      PaulstheRibList commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks scottranda! Brisket on the Jambo with Hickory.

Ribs and Chicken on the smaller stickburner, #LilTex, with Pear.

6 racks of St Louis Ribs for sharing with others after the final turn in on the WSM.

Now, the Big Fun: Brisket! You guys and gals KNOW that I love Brisket. I've spent a year on #BrisketPractice duty, and feel my skills with this meat are reaching #AlmostUseful status.

90 minutes from turn-in time, they were something in the 170's and not at all tender. I had already wrapped them in foil to accelerate the cook and was worried about the lack of recent progress. So, with out more options, I just tended the fire and kept the Jambo at 325, and expected the best.

I had in the back of my mind that the star of my box is going to be Mr. Slices of Point. This is not a KCBS contest, so the judges were not going to penalize me for putting that fabulous 9th Wonder of The World, known in theRibList world as Point Slices, in my box.

But nevertheless, non-tender flat slices were going to bring great harm to my Barbecue Rep, and I really didn't want that.

We pulled them at 4:30, and let them rest for a few minutes. I then double-gloved so I could handle these Very Hot Large Hunks of Meat, firmly placed #BrisketSword in my left hand, and got to work.

Name:	IMG_8512-upright.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	231.3 KB
ID:	164942

I had 2 large flats to work with, and they were slightly more tender in the thinner sections. I sliced them up entirely, and the tasting crew evaluated the different sections. That really helped the selection process get better!

I used the Au Jus pans I made as our Dipping Station. Every slice made it's way through the jus en route to the turn in box.

Name:	image_19816.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	192.9 KB
ID:	164938

Easy as...One

Name:	image_19821.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	180.3 KB
ID:	164941

Two...POINT SLICES!

Name:	IMG_8522.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	192.1 KB
ID:	164939

Three...More Point Slices!

Name:	IMG_8523.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	201.5 KB
ID:	164940

And, voila! Brisket Box is Born

Name:	IMG_8529-upright.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	255.2 KB
ID:	164943
    Last edited by PaulstheRibList; May 7, 2016, 10:59 PM.

Comment

Last box turned in. Now...exhale!

I don't cook competition Barbecue all the time. Once or twice a year. I don't sauce ribs or chicken much. I don't do the precision trimming on chicken. I don't practice or decide how we are going to amp up flavors, rubs, sauces to make super-memorable one-bite barbecue. And I'm not all that practiced on how to handle sauced-up meats without messing up the rub, and how to cut ribs from the topside consistently so the rub stays pretty.

I can flat cook these meats to proper doneness pretty well, and do so with a crystal-clean fire. I can prep well, and
      But this competition thing exposes my inexperience and lack of clarity on direction.

So...Improvise, Adapt and Overcome, and Active Team Members, like Sam who has been schooling up on comp BBQ lately, to the rescue!

The judges have made their calculations, and we gather to hear the results.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8531-upright.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	462.2 KB
ID:	164949

I've had a great day, so I'm all smiles

Name:	IMG_8533.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	183.5 KB
ID:	164945

1st Category, Chicken...1st Place to #theRibList (I forgot to take a picture.)
      2nd Category, Ribs....1st place to #theRibList

Name:	IMG_8534.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	240.9 KB
ID:	164946

3rd Category, Brisket....2nd Place to #theRibList

Name:	IMG_8535.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	246.0 KB
ID:	164948

Grand Champion to...#theRibList

Name:	IMG_8536.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	241.3 KB
ID:	164947

4 Envelopes with about a grand in cash. Nice!

All from trying to cook these ribs one day, about 4 years ago...Thank you AmazingRibs!

Name:	IMG_8538-upriht.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	521.6 KB
ID:	164950

Comment

Congrats!!I love that hashtag #AlmostUseful status! I hope to attain that status someday!!

Comment

Awesome, a shame they didn't have y'all park in the right lane on top the I-10 bridge and make you cook there.

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
          Editing a comment
          Well, if we had spent the day up there, I would have definitely ended up with a couple of those #RidiculouslyCool Cross-Pistol Guardrails in my trailer on the way home

Congratulations, that meat all looks great!

Comment

Contraband Days is the Louisiana Pirate Festival, after all! (And, my dad is one of the co-founders of Contraband Days. They started it in part to host a boat race, and my daddy was the boat racer! Ended up being a 4 time national champ!)

Pirate Pistols, Crossed, Adorn the I-10 Bridge in Lake Charles!Click image for larger version

Name:	Lake_Charles_Bridge-1.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	164961

Name:	nw0111bpPirate-pistols.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	368.5 KB
ID:	164960

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            Cool, hard to get a close up driving 50+ (35 if you behind a big rig).

Awesome. Congrats Bishop Q!

Comment

Nice work! That's almost not fair on the brisket timing.

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
              Editing a comment
              It was tight. I thought I'd have more wiggle room to wrap sooner, cook faster, and have more Fabulous Mrs. Brown by separating the point and flat. That may be my new standard when attempting to impress people! I absolutely LOVE Serving Slices of Point!

Congratulations and well earned!

Comment

Congratulations! Now you are rich with all those envelopes I saw in your photos. I know the Lake Charles bridge well traveling from New Orleans to Houston frequently. Also, I have been to Contraband Days.

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
                Editing a comment
                Oh, cool! It was the biggest deal when I was a teenager! Now there is a festival of some sort almost every weekend!

• LA Pork Butt
                LA Pork Butt commented
                Editing a comment
                PaulstheRibList a couple of years ago a friend in New Orleans told me that there were 265 days left in the year and 285 festivals left in Louisiana.

Congrats on the win and the great looking food.

Comment

Hearty congrats on the well-deserved win, PaulstheRibList . Thanks for the story and the great photos. It felt like I was there, without the sunburn.

Kathryn

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
                  Editing a comment
                  So glad you like the story! The Sunburn is real, albeit a little tamer on day 2.

• fzxdoc
                  fzxdoc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  PaulstheRibList , In my vicarious enjoyment of the story, it was I who wanted to be there, without the sunburn, watching you win all those prizes! Congrats again.

PaulstheRibList Great job brother!!! I still haven't found the courage to enter a comp. I envy your bravery.

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
                  Editing a comment
                  Go for it, Spinaker! It's fun, rather intense. I keep thinking I'll have all kinds of time to walk around & talk to people. But there wasn't much yest, until we turned in Ribs, then 3 hours to tend wrap brisket/tend fire. I might have used that time to test a couple of beers in the ice chest...

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here