Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sweet N Sticky in Dickey Rib Cook Off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cool posts, what a great guy Danjohnston949 is! Kudos buddy. Also, NoDak, to tag or "mention" someone, just type a "@" symbol tight to their username. You just have to make sure you type their username exactly. Notice the 2 I typed here, yours & Dan's. If the person's username contains a space like Pit Boss, put their username in quotes. So, @ + "Pit Boss" in other words. That tells the system to "mention" Pit Boss and not a user named Pit.

3.5lb+ racks of ribs are BIIIIG! You may wish to try to find ribs in the 2.5 to 3lb range if you can....unless you're talking full spare ribs? Then that's more normal I guess. Best o' luck to you. We'll all do our best to help you out.

Comment

• Danjohnston949
      Danjohnston949 commented
      Editing a comment
      Huskee, NoDak, πŸ˜³πŸ€— " Aw Shucks" πŸ€—πŸ˜³. From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

You're a good man Danjohnston949! I would love to be there but it's a bit of a drive. I'll be hoping for a lot of funds being raised, and a lot of great food and fun!

Comment

• Danjohnston949
      Danjohnston949 commented
      Editing a comment
      fuzzydaddy, Thanks, but I am just trying to Lend a Hand to NoDak (Bobbi Jo), the Dickey Bar, and the Charity Fund Raiser for Hospice of the Red River Valley of the North! They and others are doing the Work!
      From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Hello friends, again. No, I've no progress report on the ribs other than the generosity of one man. Danjohnston949. His kindness won't quit. I'm sure many of you will roll your eyes thinking I'm making this up because, after all, who does things like this anymore. Especially for a complete and utter stranger.
    My husband and I had Dr. appts today, I helped him move some farm equipment from field to field, we stopped at the Dickey Bar to get an estimated count of participants for the charity event, and came home. My Clark went and got the mail. Another package. Same return address. My Clark's eye's lit up with anticipation and said as he smiled, "I wonder if your friend, Dan, sent you some secret spices?!!" I opened the package with great care because I thought, "Well, if that's the case I'd best be gentle." Friends, I found a fancy dancy instant-read thermometer with a note that read, "HI! I hope you enjoy your gift!" followed by his personal e-mail address. WHO IS THAT NICE??! My husband and I have been keeping the corners off the packages and putting them on the fridge so we have an estimate of how much we owe Danjohnston949 along with rent for the loan of the fancy cordless thermometer (that I two stepped with around the kitchen when it arrived... ) but there is no price for kindness nor generosity! I don't know how to pay that back! If I don't do better than 7th out of 27 cookers this year I'll feel like such a disappointment to him. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the kind words and tips so many of you have sent but you must understand, this man has never met me! I was a puddle tonight to receive such a gift. Danjohnston949 , I'd call to thank you but no one can hear me blubbering via cyber space. I'll give ya a buzz tomorrow after I get it together. THANK YOU!!THANK YOU!!!
    NoDak
    Bobbi Jo
    Last edited by NoDak; June 28, 2016, 09:52 PM.

Comment

HELLO, FRIENDS! It's official, Danjohnston949 will be joining the Sweet N' Stickey N' Dickey Rib Cook Off starting Friday evening! He and his wife are coming down!! I took the liberty of registering him so he's ready to compete with 31 other entrants! That's right! We went from 24 participants last year to 32!! I'm sooo excited to meet him, his wife, and having a good time; I just had to share. I'll try and post pics next week along with results of the event. (we don't have wifi {unless you're in a house} in the valley nor do we hardly get cell reception...not ALL of ND is flat... ) Have a great weekend, friends. Oh, and don't forget to wish our friend, Danjohnston949 the best of luck for Saturday!!
      Beer and Bread, friends
      Nodak
      P.S.
      Dang it. Now we're competing against one another. That's alright, I'm gonna try and get he and his wife parked next to us so they feel comfortable. I'M SO EXCITED!!

Comment

Dan is a kind and gentle soul! He has helped me quite a bit with pictures of his setup and advice.

Comment

NoDak thanks for your update. That's awesome that you both get to compete, raise funds and meet each other! You're going to have a blast and enjoy some ribs too!

Comment

NoDak, Mosca, fuzzydaddy, Now What Have I Done? I am Officially Registered in the Sweet and Sticky in Dickey Rib Cook Off! Thanks to Bobbi Jo and Clark Her Husband! The only Problem Is I Don't Know How to Cook Ribs? Help!
            Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

• Mosca
              Mosca commented
              Editing a comment
              Oh heck man, it's easy, you just cook 'em!

• fuzzydaddy
              fuzzydaddy commented
              Editing a comment
              Take lots of photos of those ribs!

• Danjohnston949
              Danjohnston949 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for Your Support Fellas!

NoDak, Mosca, fuzzydaddy, Huskee, David Parrish, Jon Solberg, CeramicChef and RIBBERS ONE AND ALL! The GREAT 2016 "STICKY in DICKEY ND RIB COOK OFF" is now a Memory! Eunice and I are both ND Kids. But neither of us remember meeting a nicer Town of People and believe we met all 50 of Them! Dickey lies 35 miles southeast of Jamestown in the scenic James River Valley! This was the 7th Annual Charity Rib Cook Off they have held for the benifit of Hospice of the Red River Valley of the North! Until NoDak posted it on Amazing Ribs I had never heard of I, but Dickey is +- 80 miles from Fargo! The Sponsers of the Event include The Dickey Bar & Owners Dale & Alicia P, Chrissy K (The Boss), All of the Competitors,NoDak (Bobbi Jo and Her Husband Clark). In a Nut Shell a record 33 Smokers Competed in a town with a Pop of 50 and over $5000.00 was raised for Hospice! The Pics are posted on an iCoud link below! For the Record the "Old" Backyard Cremator wasn't even in the Middle of the Pack when the Judging Was Done! Eunice and I left Dickey before The Street Dance and Johnny Cash Music started! Put this Worthy Event on Your Calendar the First Weekend Following the 4th of July Annually! More Pics, https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0G53qWtHGF5V2C Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan
            Last edited by Danjohnston949; July 11, 2016, 06:08 PM.

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              Very cool! Thanks for sharing Dan, and congrats to you and NoDak!

• Danjohnston949
              Danjohnston949 commented
              Editing a comment
              Huskee, Thanks! The Really Cool Thing is the Winner of the Whole Shebang, Judged and Peoples Choice was
              @Nodak's, Bobbi Jo's First Cousin, Chad Carpenter, Another Member of Amazing Ribs! From Fargo ND, Dan

• NoDak
              NoDak commented
              Editing a comment
              Dan, you humble me. Thank you and your wife, for taking the time, effort, and energy to participate in something that is so meaningful to so many including myself. We hope to see you next year and please know how much we appreciated your presence. Hugs.

Looks like you all were having fun Danjohnston949 and NoDak

Comment

• Danjohnston949
              Danjohnston949 commented
              Editing a comment
              DWCowles, It was a Ball! Can I impose on you to check the iCloud link for me it won't load on my iPad but I might be doing something wrong? Thanks! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

• DWCowles
              DWCowles commented
              Editing a comment
              I get the same as below

Danjohnston949,
            Love it when people can come together for a good cause. $500k raised... Wow! and most definitely proper!

Comment

• Danjohnston949
              Danjohnston949 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks CurlingDog it was one Helluva Lot of Fun for a very Good Cause. Could I impose on you to try the iCloud link! It won't open on my iPad but I may have something set wrong! Thanks!
              From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Danjohnston949 here's what i got when i clicked on your link.
            Attached Files

Comment

• MBMorgan
              MBMorgan commented
              Editing a comment
              Same here

• Danjohnston949
              Danjohnston949 commented
              Editing a comment
              Gent's, I appreciate the Feedback this Apple CRAPPLE is enough to drive me off the Cliff! It is supposed to be a link to an Open Public Site on the iCloud??? I think I'll go Cremate Myself! Dan

• Danjohnston949
              Danjohnston949 commented
              Editing a comment
              Guest, Guest, Guest, Try the link above it Seems to Work now Thanks to Some Slight of Hand by Eunice Just Before I S--t Canned the Whole Mess iPad Included! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan
              Last edited by Danjohnston949; July 11, 2016, 04:51 PM.

Hello, friends! What a wonderful and successful rib cook off for our tiny community! Thank you all for your kind comments, helpful tips, and interest! Of course, my biggest THANK YOU goes to Danjohnston949 for coming down, competing, and being the kind hearted soul we all knew he would be. You're the best! It was more than a pleasure to meet you and your beautiful bride, Eunice! Friends, it was a phenomenal turnout with a total of 33 cooking participants and the crowd that came to eat and donate ballooned the city of Dickey by at least twice it's population. Our friend Danjohnston949 placed an impressive 18th out of the 33 in judges choice and this was his first competitive run in a cook off of any kind. Congratulations, Dan!! I received 5th place in judges choice and am very proud of that placement for my third year entering. Woohoo! It was rather crazy however, the winner-who happens to be my first cousin, came over to josh with me and give me a hard time as I logged in my Meathead's log sheet that I have copied off and have been using to document everything I do. When he looked at my documentation all he could do is point to Meatheads' name with his jaw on the ground. I told him that's how I met our friend, Danjohnston949 and Chad gave me a hug and said, "I'm a member of amazingribs.com too!!" How cool is that??! Anyway, I'll attempt to post a couple more pics but Dan pretty much covered our GREAT time and I honestly don't have the official results of the people's choice other than Chad won both hands down. I hope you all had as much fun this past weekend as I did. Take care.
            Beer and Bread
            NoDak
            Bobbi Jo

Comment

So many great stories here! I enjoyed reading your posts and seeing the photos Danjohnston949 and NoDak! Thank you so much.

Comment

• Danjohnston949
                Danjohnston949 commented
                Editing a comment
                fuzzydaddy, Thanks for Your Support! NoDak and Her Husband, Clark, made it one memorable weekend for
                Eunice and I! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

BTW Danjohnston949 the link is working fine now, for me at least. Thanks again you two for sharing!

Comment

• Danjohnston949
                Danjohnston949 commented
                Editing a comment
                Huskee, Thanks for the Feedback on the Pic Link! You and your Family should Plan a Vacation arround this event and Some Good Fishing, You won't have to hold your Arm Out so Far like you did for your Plastic Fish!
                πŸ‘πŸ‘Absolutely a Wonderful Event by NoDak and the Dickey Bar!πŸ‘πŸ‘

I forgot to mention the latest return for such a wonderful turnout and giving group. Our tiny town has raised more than $7.000 and then some with more donations coming in. I don't know what to say. Families have lost their loved ones to cancer or other nasty circumstances but our community has persevered. I miss my Dad daily but with our friends, a friendly rib cook off, and a wonderful husband, I've nothing to whine about. Thank you all again for your support and kind words of encouragement towards both Danjohnston949 and myself. You are all top notch in my book. I'm floored with the kindness that is flowing in for this small town event.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here