Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The end ribs of a rack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The end ribs of a rack

We competed in our little town's Ribfest this past weekend. Gorgeous day. 18 teams.

We finished 4th, which was pretty nice.

Each team is required to turn in 11 ribs from a single rack for judging. Most of our scores were solid, but a couple judges gave us low marks for texture. One of these two judges said our ribs were burnt. I'm guessing he got an end rib that was a little more done than the rest.

How do you top competitive guys keep the end ribs from getting over done? Have you foiled the ends of the racks or maybe foiled a portion of the smoker?

I have a Good One "Marshall", which is an offset smoker with a firebox across the entire smoke chamber.

I'd have a hard time getting 11 bones from one rack! I do use teflon "matt" under the ribs and do flip them around and over for consistent color. I love hanging ribs in the big Gateway Drum, though you do lose the ribs closest to the fire usually. I am also partial to the BBQ Guru Rib Ring https://bbqguru.com/Info/RibRings but using my offset, the top of the ribs tends to get darker than desired. Also it's hard to adjust rib racks if necessary. I haven't tried using the Ring only (no pan underneath) in a drum. In theory, ribs would cook just as if hung. In the smaller Gateway, it could be a good cooking method.

Comment

I've not competed like Candy Sue has, but it sure would be hard to compare the end ribs of any rack to the center ribs, since you have 2 cut sides versus 1. And expecting 11 from the same rack of ribs is kinda a tough requirement, as there will be a LOT of variation. Heck - I do mostly SLS cut ribs, and there is a ton of difference from one end to the other in size of the bone (I usually trim them myself, and follow the bones with the trim, versus rectangular slabs like some store bought SLS cuts).

If you foil the end ribs next time, just be careful you don't turn the end ribs to mush.

I just did some googling, and they claim that baby backs tend to have 13 ribs in the full slab, and spares range from 10-13. If you shop for the longer slabs, then that would still leave you 11 center cut ribs with the two ends as discards.

Comment

They didn't just want 11 ribs in total? They specified from a single rack? Seems like a very silly rule that is definitely going to end up with some judges getting less desirable ribs.

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
          DogFaced PonySoldier commented
          Editing a comment
          Agreed. Pass.

This is why I don't get into competition, I find a lot of things quite silly.

• PNWsmoke
          PNWsmoke commented
          Editing a comment
          Normally no limit how many you cook just turn in correct amount.

• ChicagoQ
          ChicagoQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, that’s been my experience. Turn in 6 ribs and they don’t care where they come from.

Out here in the real world, the thin ends of ribs we "know" will over cook are chopped off when trimming and put in the freezer to cook with baked beans at a later date! My guests love the ribs and my guests love the baked beans! Problem solved :-) I don't have any practical suggestions for you except keep the ticky tacky competition rules in perspective and separate from what it means to serve real people real food. :-)

Comment

You did great, I've been out there in those competitions, 4th is an accomplishment, I've also judged, I might say you cannot please every judge. Sitting at the table with other's during judging, you cannot believe some of there commits. Once there was a lady said she tasted charcoal lighter fluid, Now we all know no one use's lighter fluid in a competition. Piss me off, That team was out there all night doing there best. One woman, ahhhhh enough said.

Comment

• TripleB
            TripleB commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, it does it maddening, and you feel bad for the cooks. At one table, had a judge mark down presentation because the ribs were not perfectly cut the same width. Another competition had a judge complain that the brisket was not as good as what she gets back home. We're not judging on perfect presentation or what you've had back home. Crazy.

I don't have a clue, but I feel your pain.

Maybe use 2-zone cooking, or trim down the ribs to about the same thickness?
          BBQ sauce covers a multitude of "Char/Burned" ribs
          Selecting the most evenly thick rack of ribs may help.

If this is helpful or not, you're right.
          You're Welcome
          Last edited by bbqLuv; November 1, 2022, 08:16 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here