Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Test KCBS Steak cook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Test KCBS Steak cook

8 cooks gathered in the parking lot of Fire Dancer BBQ and Supply to participate in the 2nd test KCBS Steak contest. We had a contest official and judges. Score sheets were passed out. It was fun. Thanks to all that donated their time!

Here’s my entry. It was 4th!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	B14123B1-80C4-4C43-BCC2-EE2A2233B03F.jpeg
Views:	421
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	1118145

Just makes me want to be a BBQ Judge. Eat and judge, sounds like a tough assignment, but somebody has to do it.
    I wonder, is there PBR there?

Comment

• CandySueQ
      CandySueQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Only h2o

Interesting. What are some of the rules? Ribeye, bone out or in? Desired cook, med rare, rare, dead?

Comment

Looks Blue Ribbon to me!

Comment

Looks great. Do you get any feedback from the judges as to why any points were deducted or not awarded?

Comment

• CandySueQ
        CandySueQ commented
        Editing a comment
        With this being an unofficial event, yes, judges hung out and talked to cooks. It was quite enlightening.

To me it will be very interesting to see how sous vide entries fare against traditional grilling.

Comment

• CandySueQ
        CandySueQ commented
        Editing a comment
        My opinion, it would do well as long as the final sear is good. Of 8 cooks yesterday, 2 were gas guys, 2 were pellet and the rest were charcoal. 1st place was charcoal, 2nd place was gas.

Yer Presentation Box looks delightful, Sister!

Any Pics of #1 #2 #3???

Curious, is all, here...

Comment

• CandySueQ
        CandySueQ commented
        Editing a comment
        I wish!

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Straight up, "Boots on th Ground" assessment:
        I likeys my steak cooked to ~ Medium~
        Mebbe it's a Factory Defect? DKDC.! DILLIGAFF?
        Yer Box Looks like it'd allure a Jedge...Had fer me to imagine th competition, what exceeded dat dere, is all Ahll'ma sayin,,,
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; November 1, 2021, 03:58 PM.

Originally posted by CandySueQ View Post
      8 cooks gathered in the parking lot of Fire Dancer BBQ and Supply to participate in the 2nd test KCBS Steak contest. We had a contest official and judges. Score sheets were passed out. It was fun. Thanks to all that donated their time!

Here’s my entry. It was 4th!
      Click image for larger version

Name:	B14123B1-80C4-4C43-BCC2-EE2A2233B03F.jpeg
Views:	421
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	1118145
      Just curious, what is the proposed entry fee for these events?

Thanks.

Comment

• CandySueQ
        CandySueQ commented
        Editing a comment
        As all KCBS events, the entry fee will be established by the event organizer. This was a dummy event to test rules, judging and the provided steaks. No money in or money given out!

Where do you source your beef for competition? Was this Prime, Wagyu or what?

Comment

I think it's interesting vs the SCA rules which are very simplified. I don't compete, but enjoy watching and learning from those who do.

Comment

I think the SCA model is better than the proposed KCBS model. SCA entry fees are only $150, and that includes two choice-grade ribeye steaks.

I'm guessing that KCBS entry fees will be substantially higher, and the contestants will be required to buy their own steaks at the cost of about $30 apiece. And many cooks will turn in TWO steaks (one sliced for taste, and one whole for appearance). The number of steaks they can cook for a particular contest is unlimited. Wow.

On the other hand, SCA limits contestants to two steaks (only one can be turned in), chosen on-site by the contestants themselves. The steaks are provided by the contest organizer, and pick order is determined by a blind draw. Very fair and cost-effective. This coming from an individual (not a team) who would love to compete, but only if a cost-effective and level playing field is established. SCA has remarkably done that.

However, KCBS gets it right when they discourage grill marks on steaks. The goal should be to get the entire surface of the steak seared, instead of only the grill marks. SCA fails in this regard. Grill marks should be scored down, instead of up.

IMHO.
          Last edited by TBoneJack; December 31, 2021, 07:21 AM.

Comment

Dry aged comes to mind. I didn't read the rules though so it may not be allowed.

Comment

• texastweeter
              texastweeter commented
              Editing a comment
              Just read the rules...scratch that idea.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here