Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To sauce or not to sauce?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To sauce or not to sauce?

I'm participating in a local pulled pork competition in a couple weeks and I would like to know y'alls opinion. First off, this is in no way a sanctioned event and there are no "real" bbq judges, just local celebs, news anchor, etc. This will be my 4th year as a contestant and so far, I've won third place once and was fortunate enough to win the people's choice award last year. The year I won 3rd, I used a Carolina vinegar sauce on my turn in to the judges. Last year, I turned in a variation of the Lexington Dip from AR. When it comes to what is served to the public, I don't put any sauce at all on the meat. I have 5 different sauces that the public chooses from for their sample. Although I LOVED getting the People's Choice Award last year, I'd really like to do better with the judges, So, my question is to all y'all competitors out there in the Pit, do you sauce your turn in and if so, what kind of sauce to you prefer? Any insight will be most appreciated!

Sauce, definitely! And some times even more sauce.

Comment

Dave,

I haven't been in any competitions so this is just a personal preference.

For pulled pork I like to lighly sauce it with a KC-style sauce. I then encourage people to add some hot sauce (I make my own hot sauce) and then a dollop of creamy slaw.

Comment

I've had luck with Blues Hog thinned out with apple cider vinegar and pineapple juice.

Comment

I usually use MH's East Carolina sauce and people rave about it. I made 30 lbs. yesterday and made half with the E.C. sauce and the other half plain with BBQ sauce available. The E.C. pork went very quickly. TIFWIW

Comment

I am totally ignorant to competition, but from what i've read and watched it seems 40% is how pretty the shrubbery is in the box, 40% is how much sugary sauce you dumped on it, and 20% is whether it tastes good. I go with a 10/0/90 myself so I would never do any good.

The fact that you have the peoples choice award is really cool, I hope you win so we can have a compare and contrast of the different flavors.

Comment

Originally posted by CandySueQ View Post
              Sauce, definitely! And some times even more sauce.

I don't know so I'm going with Ms. Candy.

Comment

Last time I did peoples choice, main thing is to get meat where it will easily go into a sample cup. Sauced (hot when poured on), stirred up to get it disbursed. If it's hot out, add a sprinkle of your rub (or salt) before mixing up too.

Comment

• Virginia Dave
                  Virginia Dave commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thats good advice! Thanks you very much!!

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here